Tiller Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line?

/ Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line? #41  
Did you do the annual slip clutch maintenance where you check to ensure its slipping by loosening all the spring bolts and then re adjust to proper spring length. Or was the chain just defective. Coworker wadded up his drive shaft because he didn't do this check
Yes I did. In fact the chain broke while the tiller was being lifted out of the ground

Reminds me though I must do that again. I did not do it this spring. :(

/ Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line? #42  
How much HP would I need to run a 5ft tiller? Same question for a six foot tiller?

Is there a way to order parts for a Tarter tiller online or would I have to go through a dealer?

Eddie

Eddie, HP kinda depends on soil conditions, however I like 25 minimum for the 5 ft and 35-40 hp for the 6 ft. I don't think there is a online parts store for Tarter parts, however, we have plans to put the wear parts on our online website pretty soon. Ken Sweet

/ Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line? #43  
I have the 6' Countyline tiller (King Kutter). It was purchased new from Tractor Supply, but I bought it second hand from an individual. I've had it close to a couple years and love it. It's well built and for now, it sits out in the weather. I think the paint job is good on it also. Is it the "best built" tiller on the market? No it isn't, but it's far from being the cheapest made. It will get the job done. I have no regrets and would buy another.

If I wouldn't have found this tiller when I did, I would have bought a new one from a dealer. Not a "box store".

I have never seen a Tarter brand tiller in person, but from the looks of them I would buy one of those also if the price is right.

Travis R

/ Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line? #44  
I have the 6' Countyline tiller (King Kutter). It was purchased new from Tractor Supply, but I bought it second hand from an individual. I've had it close to a couple years and love it. It's well built and for now, it sits out in the weather. I think the paint job is good on it also. Is it the "best built" tiller on the market? No it isn't, but it's far from being the cheapest made. It will get the job done. I have no regrets and would buy another.

If I wouldn't have found this tiller when I did, I would have bought a new one from a dealer. Not a "box store".

I have never seen a Tarter brand tiller in person, but from the looks of them I would buy one of those also if the price is right.

Travis R
I just bought a KK 6 foot tiller and the first thing I noticed on the slip clutch is the lack of spring tensioners like I have on my bush hog slip clutch. How about you KK owners, does your slip clutch have springs on it?

/ Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line? #45  
I just bought a KK 6 foot tiller and the first thing I noticed on the slip clutch is the lack of spring tensioners like I have on my bush hog slip clutch. How about you KK owners, does your slip clutch have springs on it?

I will have to check in the morning but I'm almost certain mine does. I don't see how the clutch would work without them?

If you purchased it new, I'd surely be making a phone call.

/ Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line? #46  
I will have to check in the morning but I'm almost certain mine does. I don't see how the clutch would work without them?

If you purchased it new, I'd surely be making a phone call.
I am going back to where I bought it (Atwoods)and look at others today. That is my feelings also as how would you make a slip clutch work without variable tension. I may have to go to KK to get a replacement though, I will report my findings back later.

/ Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line? #47  

You should take a picture of the slip clutch. The PTO shaft that was provided with your unit may be the type that has compression springs within the slip clutch unit. The springs are not visible unless the slip clutch is broken down.

/ Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line? #48  
You should take a picture of the slip clutch. The PTO shaft that was provided with your unit may be the type that has compression springs within the slip clutch unit. The springs are not visible unless the slip clutch is broken down.
It looks like any other slip clutch but without the tension springs. I will try to get a picture and post it here. I did send an email to KK on this but I would think that would take several days to get a reply back. From looking at the parts diagram, it shows springs on the bolts.

/ Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line? #49  
It looks like any other slip clutch but without the tension springs. I will try to get a picture and post it here. I did send an email to KK on this but I would think that would take several days to get a reply back. From looking at the parts diagram, it shows springs on the bolts.

The pto slip clutch that has the compression springs use a different type of assembly bolts. Looking at the bolts it would not appear to have room for springs. The ones that do not have the springs on the bolts use a bevel springs assembly like some tractor dual stage clutch assemblies. Adjusting the nuts on the bolts would cause the bevel springs to compress more.

/ Tillers; Why buy anything but County Line? #50  
Well I have no interest in a tiller down here, as we don't have much soil, but I did watch the video to see Ann. She is kinda cute!:thumbsup: