Tiltmeters-Why Not?

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #11  
IMHO I think you have to think about a tiltmeter the same way you do about seat belts and ROPS. It's a safety device. Off roaders have been using the $7.95 Lev-o-gage for ages. At that price you can have a tiltmeter on every axis you wish!!

Sim

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #12  
Dan, I'd have to disagree with you about it being an "ad" trying to sell something. Rick has a product, and naturally he's trying to sell it, but the tractor users are the ones starting the discussions, and then the manufacturer (in this case, Rick) joined it with his information - and like any message posted on the forum, you can take it for what it's worth; ignore it if you wish. Personally, I like for the manufacturers and/or dealers to participate on the forum. When we post messages with questions about our tractors, or our implements, we learn a great deal from each other (other users), but I'm always glad to hear from the manufacturers and dealers, too; wish John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, etc. had employees monitoring the forum who would join in with answers.

And what more could a guy do than what Rick's doing. He's offering to let them try it at no cost. If they don't think it's worth it, they haven't lost anything. And if they don't even want to try it, that's fine, too. In my own case, I didn't think I needed a tiltmeter; just wanted one. Now I've got two and think I need them.

Bird

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #13  
Let guy's let me add my 2 cents. I came very close to rolling a 855 over (twice while mowing). Keep in mind this was before I learned about tiltmeters. I run alot of slopes while doing alot of custom work. I found out about RB and ordered one. I was so gun shy about doing it again I whatched the meter to regain my confidece ( but I never went back were I craped my self) I know the limt of my tractor while mowing. Later I added another meter for front to back angle, If I'm not possitive I'll drive straight up, stop and see what angle I'am at. I also live in a farming area, some one rolls a tractor from time to time, of course they don't have a meter and they don't know there limit. The last one that rolled did not even have a ROPS. If you never run a slope then your lucky to have the kind of ground, as for me I will all ways have two meters on my tractor.
Sorry for the rambling but this subject still gets my belly churning.
DDT

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #14  
If this is in response to the poll that Muhamed did, then the answer is that I don't feel that the Tilt Meter should be required on new tractors. I want to get one, but I haven't yet. It should be my choice.

My land is fairly flat, but there have been one or two times that I realized I'd over extended myself. However, those times came on me suddenly, the way Bird mentioned. A tilt meter would have confirmed why I was nervous, not that I should have been nervous /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I agree with Rick that if you're doing any grading the meter is great. That is the main reason that I want one.

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
markcg_sig.gif

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #15  
ddl, I respect your comments, and you are right-up to a
point. First, let me mention that We have run a paid ad here.
Second, we were asked to participate in the forum, by
answering any questions about meters. limits, etc. I hope we
have passed along at least some useful, or interesting
information. And last, I feel that we should always follow up
our products, and participate as the manufacturer in any
discussions, where ANY meters are being discussed. We can
only make what our customers want, by asking questions
and making what the customer wants. We started painting
the numbers on a new model a while back, only after the
posters here indicated they would like to see it done.
We would not have known what you, the customers want,
had we not asked, and followed this site.
BY THE WAY, THIS IS BRENDA, THE OTHER HALF OF R&B.
Wanted to reply to this one myself.
Thank you. Brenda.

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #16  
Wow..I surprised at the difference in outlook on this topic. I am happy that manufacturers are involved in this forum. I've asked questions on tiltmeters, gotten direct answers and am awaiting my new meter as I write. That's not to say that everyone should have one. My property has a number of hills and valleys and as inexperienced as I am, I think I'm better off with the knowledge. I would also like to thank Rick for additional information when I called to order (colors at 15 and 20 degrees, etc.) We also have a number of other manufactures on the forum. I GLAD THEY ARE HERE!
Jim

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #17  
I cut some steep slopes at my Antique shop, (see attachment) and I think that if I had a tiltmeter I would be too worried about watching it, instead of what I am cutting. I might not cut some areas that I cut now because it is over that prescribed limit. I also would need two and that would be two more things to worry about. I guess if I had them on the tractor from day one I would have used them, but now I don't know if I could get use to it.

Von

Attachments

• 34-28865-35-19163-hills.jpg
    34-28865-35-19163-hills.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 109
   / Tiltmeters-Why Not? #18  
How can one tiltmeter be accurate for all tractor applications? For example I know I can go on more of a sidehill with my Massey than with the 4600. It's got over an 8 foot wheelbase. Also if you have a narrow front compared to a widefront that is going to make a huge difference as well. My skidder will tip over on an even less sidehill than the 4600. Now say I just had the 4600. I can vary the wheel size on that as well. Wouldn't it change the degree as well as to when I would roll over? I think that is the reason that they don't put tiltmeters on. Notice I said think because I really don't know but would think that would be a huge liability issue. Also if you have a loader and mower on you can do steeper hills or weight in the tires, on the tires, in front of the tractor, etc. All of these things are going to have a huge impact on the degree of rollover. Even the tire size has to factor in as well. An R1 compared to a R4 or a turf tire is going to make a difference too. Maybe I'm all wrong here but I just think the variance is too great to really use one accurately. I have alot of hills and it would be great to have something that would tell me but I just don't see how one can be accurate in all applications.

Richard

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #19  
Richard, the tiltmeter, mounted properly on the tractor, will tell you how far the tractor is tilted, not necessarily what the slope of the terrain is if you're talking about slopes that change in less distance than the length of the wheelbase, or tire width. Of course, if it's a uniform slope equal to or greater than those distances, then it would be accurate for the slope. And I don't think anyone is saying that the tiltmeter alone is going to tell you what the safe tilt is for your tractor, but if you determine what the maximum tilt you're willing to drive on, then in the future you can glance at the tiltmeter and tell whether or not you're approaching that limit. I did a very unscientific test by parking my tractor on an 18 degree side to side slope, got off and tried pushing it over to see if I could raise the wheels on the high side. I couldn't, so I would guess that my tractor could survive 20 degrees, but sure don't intend to find out. I set my own limit at 15 degrees. I guess you could compare it to any other instrument; i.e., a fuel gauge ain't gonna keep you from running out of fuel, but it does provide you with some information that you might like to have.

Bird

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #20  
Richard, the tiltmeter, mounted properly on the tractor, will tell you how far the tractor is tilted, not necessarily what the slope of the terrain is if you're talking about slopes that change in less distance than the length of the wheelbase, or tire width. Of course, if it's a uniform slope equal to or greater than those distances, then it would be accurate for the slope. And I don't think anyone is saying that the tiltmeter alone is going to tell you what the safe tilt is for your tractor, but if you determine what the maximum tilt you're willing to drive on, then in the future you can glance at the tiltmeter and tell whether or not you're approaching that limit. I did a very unscientific test by parking my tractor on an 18 degree side to side slope, got off and tried pushing it over to see if I could raise the wheels on the high side. I couldn't, so I would guess that my tractor could survive 20 degrees, but sure don't intend to find out. I set my own limit at 15 degrees. I guess you could compare it to any other instrument; i.e., a fuel gauge ain't gonna keep you from running out of fuel, but it does provide you with some information that you might like to have sometimes.

Now of course I don't own any stock in R&B Mfg., so if you don't want one, that's OK with me./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird