Tiltmeters-Why Not?

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #21  
After having my JD standing on 3 wheels 3 times on a sidehill with a loaded bucket and a balast box on the back, I decided that was enough and got the tiltmeter, it mounted nicely in the cab and works good but now I think I should have another one. maybe Rick will give big discount on two lol. gary

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #22  
Rick,

<font color=blue>Just how open minded are you guys?????</font color=blue>

Thats a truth teller/liar question if I ever saw one. Of course I am open minded, but which am I "Truth Teller" or "Liar".

Without looking back at my initial post I think the thrust of my comment was relatated to false sense of security and not necessarily towards the usefulness of the device for applications other than safety.

<font color=blue>can you
honestly say that a neighbor, a wife,or one of your kids will
never be on your tractor?</font color=blue>

Nope and your point is well taken here.

<font color=blue>Can you eye ball a hillside
your cutting down, for whatever reason, and keep it uniform
all the way across, so you don't have washouts? Can you
keep a pond dam you are dressing up uniform? Can you cut a
new road bed, and make it with a slight slope to allow run-off
but not too much to cause it to wash? </font color=blue>

Yep, to my satisfaction. Would a tilt meter make it easier or better, we will see. But from the view good enough is just that "good enough" maybe not.

Knowing that it is not square, plumb or level or what ever by any instrument does not make it right. A bad carpenter has a full tool box also.

Rick, are you opening yourself up to the other 263 (15% of 1752) people that voted no on the tilt meter poll?/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue> I will eat crow. Will You?????</font color=blue>

I'm not sure anyone needs to eat crow but the answer is:

No, I once ate Seagull (don't ask) and if Crow tastes anywhere near, no way. I will provide my honest evaluation of the tiltmeter. Would you like it posted or sent by private email? I will send my address by private email.

Thanks for the offer RicK

<font color=orange> Al</font color=orange>

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #23  
Bird,
Ok that explains it to me. What you do then is set the meter where you feel comfortable with and then go with that. I thought that it was geared to the tractor rollover specs but it's not. Ok now, just asking, what is the difference then between a tiltmeter and say a protractor from sears that you use to measure angles with? I mean you can pick up a set of those at Sears for $12. I beat the tar out of a pair that I got five years ago and they've held up great. This is the first I've ever heard of a tiltmeter so just asking as I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they are and how to use them. I say my prayers everytime I go to mow this one 40 acre piece that is pretty steep.
Thanks,
Richard

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #24  
Twinkle toes,
Ate seagull? Don't ask ? I can't help it-I gotta know!!!!!
Wish I could offer them to everyone. However, I do offer
a no questions asked warranty. Don't like it ? Send it back.
(in good condition of course). I'll even re-imburse you the
original shipping charge. Maybe not a sound financial move,
but I think it is only fair. I posted this about shipping once
before here. I did not get one single meter back. POST YOUR
COMMENTS HERE! I will send you a meter as soon as I get
your shippig address. Ernieb also. Try them for awhile. Post
your thoughts here. I can take it. See something about them
you want changed ? Let me know. You guys are the
customers. Without your thoughts, good or bad, I can only
guess what the real world wants. And thank you for your
reply. As far as a false sense of security, I suppose it is
possible. I have heard that before. But never from someone
that has a meter. Maybe they are out there, but they have
not called me. As Bird stated, the meter helps, along with
other factors, to determine what your limit for your own
machine may be. Again, thanks. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #26  
Richard, it's been so long since I used a protractor for anything except short pieces of lumber that I don't think I better try to answer (or maybe I should just say I don't know/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif). You might look at the url listed by Sim and also http://www.tiltmeter.com[/i] The o...s, but they're worth their price to me. Bird

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #27  
As far back as I can remember RB has not tried to sell anything. They were drug into this (begged) to answer some questions. They are doing something great. Most manufacturer's won't give a board (or even individuals) the time of day. I know what you guys mean, I've seen boards where it's a constant barrage of this and that. Some manufacturers even post under anonymous names pimping for themselves.

As for tiltmeters themselves, they are just a guide, like a temp guage. Sometimes temp guages can be worthless if they are measuring water as if you blow a hose quickly, the radiator will dump and the temp guage may read LOW temp before the metal transfers enough temp into it.

Besides, without a tiltmeter, how will you be able to brag when you're 60 about the 45 degree slope you were on!

True, it's not a "don't operate- OK to operate" instruction, just something to let you know. As I've mentioned before, I've wanted to tilt my tractors over with a strap and an excavator to see on firm ground sitting stationery at what point they DO tip. But just for fun. My tiltmeter in my head is FAR lower.

And if you are moving or on rough ground anything goes! GO SLow.

If you have a backhoe you have an advantage/disadvantage as it is an adjustable center of gravity machine. Put a boulder in the bucket and stretch it all the way out sideways or backwards and you can help control the situation.

I see guys all the time moving around with the loader bucket in the air. You've gotta go slow with a heavy load, if possible dress up your transport road first, and be ready to lower the load or dump it.

I wish there were more manufacturers like RB out there. Keep on going, businesses like yours ARE appreciated!

del

oldcarparts@mygarage.com

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #28  
Sims,
The lev-o-gage on the link you showed is a good meter.
I use the same body, from the same mfg. for my model #23.
It is the only glass tube model I offer that I do not make
in my shop. I put my own glass tube in it, and use my own
dampeneing fluid, and custom paint it, and offer a mounting
bracket. For those that do not need special paint, mounting
bracket, or extreme temp. dampeneing fluid, it is truly a good
meter. I am phasing it out with my new model #45. I used
it for 4 yrs. and it has proven a good meter. I will phase it
out, due to o.e.m. pressure about lead time for deliveries.
Sometimes it is not available in the quantities I need for
a couple of o.e.m. customers. Not a bad price either.
I pay more than that for the body alone. Then I add my tube,
custom paint, and brackets. They must buy in extremely
large quantities to get that price. That is another reason I
am phasing it out. The new model #45 I make is cheaper
than the #23, because I make the #45 here. The model you
showed a link to should work well for many applications.
The main belief I have is that ANYONES meter is probably
a good idea on many tractors. Another meter co. is Rieker
Instruments. Do not know the web address, but should not be
hard to find. If their warranty is as good, and customer
service is good, I say go for it. The things I would look for
in any meter, is temp. range, dark body to resist glare,
non-corrosion mounting bolts. Tube protected in body, good
warranty, solid quality, vibration resistant. ( some meters will
stick because of static electricity build up under heavy
vibration.) We have done tests here due to liability, and we
are aware of what competitions models stick and what
doesn't. (will not reveal who's models stick and whose do not.
I will not say anything bad about competitiors.) They made
their models for general use, and I make mine for specific
off road, use. Plenty of room out there for all of us.
All meters are good for something. It is up to the customer
to decide what the best meter for their use is. Again, the
model shown in the link is a good meter, and will work well
in many instances. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #29  
Sim,
Ok yea that's more what I had in mind and pricewise. I'm sure that the R&B ones are much better quality and built and have a bracket, but from what I can see the same principle. I just thought that I was missing something. I thought that was alot for an angle finder but I don't begrudge anyone and their business or prices. Same principle with deere. Three lights to put on my tractor from them was $112. Stopped by Farm & Fleet on the way home tonight and bought three 3x5 55 watt halogen tractor lights with the brackets for $12 a piece. Same thing and very well made. Now I just have to figure out where to wire them in. On the other hand when I put the propane injection system on my pickup there were guys making their own and the plans and design were on the ford diesel website. Cost about $200 to make one and $399 to buy one from the mfg. Figured that extra $200 was worth their better design and didn't quite trust myself with that one. So it's all a matter of choice and priority.
Thanks for the pic and the info.
Richard

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #30  
Bird,
thanks for the info. I was really hoping that there was more to them than what there is is all. I know I could sure find a use for most all attachments, but don't know about finding that much money!!!
Richard