Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good?

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #11  
Sorry 20 20 -- did not mean to offend you. The expert was a chainsaw repair guy in the business for about 50 years -- his comment was that for the money the sharpener was a great deal. I can sharpen by hand but don't find it terribly rewarding -- and I for one cannot do as good a job by hand as I can with a jig or the machine -- most times I carry spare chains to the bush and sharpen them in batches like Deere Dude - each to his own :)

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #12  
I bought on of the HF specials when it was on sale. After using it a couple of times I switched back to the Dremel. Nobody showed me how to use either, for that matter nobody ever showed me how to file a chain. I find the Dremel with a sharpening stone removes the metal slower and makes a much nicer edge. If you look at the tooth you can see where you need to grind to sharpen it.

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #13  
Studor, no offence taken :) I didn't mean to come off cross, just trying to figure why it's so tough to sharpen a saw?

I am sitting here reading some of the post and have to wonder if those of you who can't sharpen by hand might be over thinking the process? 20minutes to sharpen a chain with a fancy grinder:confused:, did I read that correct? Even on a badly damaged chain it wouldn't take me 20minutes. Would that be counting the time taking the chain off and placing back? If you folks were closer I could probably teach you how to sharpen and beat those fancy (IMO) expensive grinders, in about 15-20 min. I have one trick that I can share that I have seen some do. Some times folks feel they need to force the file through the blade, it's better to just keep a gentle even pressure all the way through. You'll find that will work faster and do a much better job. should take less then 5minutes to sharpen a normal wear chain. Something that's hit some dirt and is a little more beat might take up to 10minutes. This counts locking the saw into the vice(whether it be a stump vice or what ever), and marking the blade with a crayon. I've only used a gauge a few times found out they're more of a pain then they're worth. I will write though, with age comes loss of sight, so now the glasses have to come out. I have a friend that will only sharpen by hand but unlike me he feels the gauge keeps him inline. Maybe he has a better gauge then what I had(don't know). Not knocking your train of thought, just thought I'd try to save you some $$$. On a good note you'll have a new toy to play with :)

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #14  
I bought on of the HF specials when it was on sale. After using it a couple of times I switched back to the Dremel. Nobody showed me how to use either, for that matter nobody ever showed me how to file a chain. I find the Dremel with a sharpening stone removes the metal slower and makes a much nicer edge. If you look at the tooth you can see where you need to grind to sharpen it.

Funny you mentioned this, yrs back my neighbor and I where cutting, he got upset because my ____brand was beating his bigger _____brand saw. He said it must be the saw and how his was junk, blah blah blah. I told him there was nothing wrong with his saw except a bad chain. So when we got back home he sharpened his saw and I sharpened mine, back out to the woods and same thing happens. I asked how he was sharpening, he had a very expensive table grinder, seemed like it took forever to sharpen one blade. He asked how I sharpened mine so I told him mostly by hand but ocassional if teeth were real messed up I'd use the dremel. He just shook his head. He was very hard headed and hated to admit that his expensive grinder could be out done by plain ole elbow grease, and in much less time. He also told me a chain was only good for about 8-10 sharpenings(on that grinder) and then it was time for a new one :laughing: :laughing: Well he never would change his thought process, went out and bought a new saw. Infact he gets a new one about every year still thinks it's the saws he's buying :eek: I quess whether sharpening by hand or expensive machine one still needs to have a feel for the blade and how to get the most out of it.

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #15  
My Dad showed me how to sharpen a chain by hand, then i showed him how to do it better. He started me off and i figured a few thing out by looking at the teeth and raker but basically followed how the teeth are set up. Doesn't take long and i get to rest for about 10 minutes to put the edge on and start back up. I think the chains last longer as well. Grinders seem to take a fair bit of material away which is fine if you've really dinged your chain. BTW why do people call chainsaw chains, blades?

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #16  
BTW why do people call chainsaw chains, blades?

I usually call them chains but I was trying not to confuse anyone. In all honesty it is a small blade that we sharpen not the chain itself :)

It's good that you could improve on your dads style I did the same, as it should be. There is an old saying about the student becoming the master, can't remember how it goes.

I have another question, how far do most of you let your chains/blades get down before a replace? Just curious, I have seen a few cases where all I could do was shake my head. Some IMO had lots of wear left, while others snapped and should have been long gone.

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good?
THanks for the comments.

I purchased the TimberTuff yesterday at PA. I'll try to post up a review after i fire it up the first time.

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #18  
I bought one of the cheapie Harbor Freights back several months ago...
For a home owner non professional it is ok...
I had a bunch of chains to sharpen after getting my dad's 8 old homelites running...
Up until then I just sharpened with a hand file...
My dad taught me how to do it many years ago...
For the cost of the cheapie Harbor Freight unit I wanted something to play with...
If I was a professional it would be marginal at best...
For a homeowner it is more than adequate...
For $29 it is a good value IMHO...

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #20  
I just finished sharpening my two saws today - husk 455 and stihl 025. I will do the other stihl tomorrow. The first thing I do is to take a flat file and file the angle of the tooth parallel to the line on the tooth. This takes out the little dings, roundness and bad chips. I then continue to sharpen as normal with a round file. One thing I did learn over the years is if your saw pulls to one side and not down straight through the log when chunking it means your teeth are longer on one side. I am left handed so when filling I always put a little more power into the stroke. I now pay more attention to the length of the tooth. I usually touch up the saw in the field but when I am back home I disassemble and clean the saw, reassemble and then sharpen the saw. That way you have completed a bit of maintenance plus sharpened your saw too.

Play safe!