Grading Tips for grading driveway?

/ Tips for grading driveway? #21  
I just redid my 600' driveway. I added #2 & minus gravel, spread where possible /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif by the dump truck. I spread the rest with the FEL and back dragged with it too. Sure wish i had a box blade or york rake but the budget didn't allow.
The results were ok, some washboarding and a few thin spots. As a new tractor owner I found it hard not too dig in if I was going forward. Overall I am happy with the results, 2 loads of gravel and about 5 hours of fun left me with a surface i will be able to clear this winter once the rear snowblower gets delivered.

/ Tips for grading driveway? #22  
What I struggle with is the dips & dives. When driving a vehicle over the driveway, it's fairly smooth but the vehicle's shocks keep getting a workout because of the driveway's high/low/high/low stature. I'm using a rear blade because I don't have a boxblade but have graded it a half dozen times and still can't seem to smoothen the dips & dives. If anyone has had this problem & found a "Fix", I sure would like to hear it.
Eric

/ Tips for grading driveway? #23  
An adjustable rear tail wheel. Some of the better blade manufactures off them. I would like to add one to my blade, but I don't need it real bad.

/ Tips for grading driveway? #24  
JerryG.....
Thanks for idea, actually I'm preparing to modify (minor) my blade for snow removal this winter & was thinking of skid shoes or caster so that it wouldn't dig in too much. How far back do they mount the wheels ?? Let me run something by you as well, this summer when a constuction crew was paving our road I noticed that the paving machine had "out-riggers" on both sides which I think were to help them keep things "level". I wondered if I were to do something like that it might help to keep things level better. Your Thoughts on this and the casters ??
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Eric

/ Tips for grading driveway? #25  
After reading my previous post, it seems like I'm only looking for input from Jerry; quite the contrary, anyone who has any ideas is definetly welcome to reply......
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Eric

/ Tips for grading driveway? #26  
Pine Ridge,
I do the same thing, but not with the rake reversed - hows that work out?
I can only think of when I back up a little on rubble with my rake and shoot forward (at me) at about mach 2! But now you got me curious......

/ Tips for grading driveway? #27  
Using a landscape rake for finishing has been very useful to me. I turn it around and adjust the top link to keep the tines in a not-to-aggressive stance. I only want it to pull the high spots down into the low spots, and it does this pretty well.
Now, when I've had hard pack to deal with, I've broken it up with my box blade/rippers first, and leveled as best I can and then finish with the turned around rake. Gets it all really smooth and level. Having the top link adjusted just right is the trick. It may take some playing with until you get the results you wish. John

/ Tips for grading driveway? #28  
I don't really think that wheels to the sides like outriggers would help. The reason a tail wheel about 3-4' back works is that it allows the blade to float by running on the ground that you have already bladed.

/ Tips for grading driveway? #29  
Here is picture a tail-wheel like I was speaking about.

Attachments

• 512371-Woods RB1010.jpg
    512371-Woods RB1010.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 817
   / Tips for grading driveway? #30  
Thanks for the pic because when you said tail wheel, I pictured 2 small 4" casters. I like that setup & think with that system you could finetune how agressive the blade is. Hmmmm, you've got me thinking.....