Tire Chain Pliers

/ Tire Chain Pliers #11  
Tire chains are a pain in the back side and those pliers make them alot less work. I hate the way chains tear up a truck, and drivers always think that you can still try and drive 60 mph with them. They speed up until the CD skips and then back down 2 MPH.

The wife just headed out to anchorage last night and took her chains with her "Just In Case". For the lil ladies car i buy the steel cable style units. they work pretty good but are not going to last forever.

/ Tire Chain Pliers #12  
Was in the same situation not long ago. I have pretty heavy duty chains on my tractor and wanted to add a few more cross chains to them. I have seen those large pliers work and they do a great job but at about $100.00 delivered from tirechain.com I just did not want to spend that much for maybe a one time use, so searching the internet I went. Most other places have the same or similar for even more money until I found .........AWdirect.com...........they have the large pliers also at more money but they have a medium size one that's rated for 5/16 chain and it's 23" long. The cost for this one was $36.52 with shipping...........pretty good deal I thought. It is an import and the others are USA made but for something I may never use again that's they way I had to go. They just showed up today and they work perfect. I was a little worried that my chains are about 3/8" but this plier can handle them, it is one rugged tool that looks like it would hold up to lots of use.

Good luck, Scott

Case 580CK
Kubota B7100

/ Tire Chain Pliers #13  
Scott beat me to a reply, I also just got the AW Direct solution, but hopefully its a couple more weeks before I even think about working on chains. They look like they will hold up if no abused - time will tell.

/ Tire Chain Pliers
Well, I sucked it up and got the $100 pliers. Figured they will get limited use, but I'll have them to work on chains for the rest of my life, so hopefully, they'll be worth it.

It took me 1.5 hours to spread one hook with a mallet and chisel (about 45 minutes to get the hook opened the last 1/8". I also realized that closing the hook once I moved it was going to be another ordeal, and probably causing some major deforming of the hook. Once I got the chain pliers, it was 15 seconds to spread a hook, about the same to close it. The mallet and chisel took 350 times longer than the chain pliers.

I tried searching all over online for another set of pliers, specifically, for a 24" pair, as I knew they existed, but to no avail. The same pliers I got for $100 were going for $170-$280 locally. Had I found the $35 pair online, I probably would have tried them, but I'm pleased with the big pair, and they were well worth it once I took them to the chains.

I did plow snow Wednesday morning, as we got 6" overnight, but didn't need to put the chains on. That time will come soon enough. Thanks to the chain pliers, the chains are ready to go.

/ Tire Chain Pliers #16  
As I have stated before, I manufacture tire chains for a living... I use the exact same pliers from time to time doing various repairs, modifications, etc... You can open and close from small hooks on up to 1/2 inch hooks.... on the 7/16 and 1/2 inch hook you have to open 1 side at a time... But they are an excellent investment and save alot of time...

For the record, when i build my chains, i have a 16 foot long table and at one end of the table there are 2 air operated press heads... Makes building chain a snap

/ Tire Chain Pliers #17  
I have 'em ...I use 'em ...they work. You can remove cross links and/or reinstall cross links ...piece of cake

/ Tire Chain Pliers #18  
Bandit, Sorry I sent an email before seeing there was a second page to this thread. I got my answers. Now since they worked so well, do you want to sell yours?

/ Tire Chain Pliers
No thanks, think I'll keep the pliers. Haven't used them since '08, but I know when I need them, they'll be there.

I also know that as soon as I sell them due to lack of use, I'll need them - happens all the time. :laughing:

/ Tire Chain Pliers #20  
Wow this is what I did a couple weeks ago. I couldn't get in the woods with my tractor because of the snow/crust/ice conditions. I needed more fire wood real bad. I didn't have the money to go buy chains. My nephew gave me a larger set that I could make fit. My neighbor has a set of those chain pliers. I used them several years ago to make a set for my garden tractor, and they really worked great. I thought this is going to be an easy job to shorten all the cross chains to fit my tires. Well we looked for an hour thru his garage and barn and couldn't find the pliers. So I started spreading the connecting links with a hammer and a cold chisel. I was lucky that I had a large set of bolt cutters to cut a few inches off the cross chains. Then I had to hammer the connecting links back on It took me about 10 hours an acheing back and a thumb that got smacked twice to do 30 cross chains. I sure wish I could have found the chain pliers. Got her done and they work great. We'll keep warm now.