Tires spinning

/ Tires spinning #21  
LOVE both videos!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::laughing::laughing:

/ Tires spinning #22  
rambler said:
Pretty simple, really. Differential splits up the power to both wheels, either wheel on the axle can get any % of the available power.

--->Paul

I think the way you worded that gives a clue about why some people get confused on this subject. And open differential splits the MOTION, not the power. Okay that's not technically accurate, but it's a good way to make my point. Even when one wheel is stuck and the other is spinning, both sides have a driving force applied to them. Therefore it is rightfully called two wheel drive. And a machine with two of them can rightfully be called four wheel drive.

/ Tires spinning #23  
I look at it this way: its all about TRACTion!
What used to be the go to TRACTion 'machine'? The horse!:thumbsup: As in HORSEpower. As in applied HORSEpower = TRACTion of horse over ground.
Now we mostly use TRACTORs with different amounts of HORSEpower to apply TRACTion to the wheels, (used to be hoofs:cool:), and the result is in most instances at least two hoofs/wheels are pulling/ pushing /spinning. To aid in putting more HORSEpower to the hoofs that are spinning, and thus to make them pull or push instead of spinning, we use differentials, locking differentials, 4wd engaging switches, etc.

/ Tires spinning #24  
If you want to see truly how your drive train works, drive diagonally across a ditch that is deep enough that your front axle block wont let one wheel fall to the bottom of the ditch. IF done correctly at some point, the front left wheel and right rear (or vice versa) will be off the ground and both spinning with you not going anywhere. Diff. lock will get you on thru it if you have one, if not, sometimes gently applying the brake to the spinning wheel will let the differential give some power to the grounded wheel.
Remember the old remedy for stuck in the mud prior to limited slip differentials, lightly apply the emergency brake to make both wheels turn.

/ Tires spinning #25  
Tim on occasion for a quick fix for traction I'll load the FEL bucket with sand. Nice thing about sand is that if you want to unload it ASAP you to back-blade quickly so that it vanishes.

/ Tires spinning #26  
I got "stuck" twice yesterday moving rock fill with one rear and one front spinning harmlessly in the air, by accidentally moving across the rock strewn work area in such a way as trying to back uphill and running over two high rocks on opposite sides of the tractor.. Of course I was not really "stuck", once I just pressed the differential lock and the other I just moved forward for a couple of feet and moved over a inch or two. But I remembered this thread when it happened.

James K0UA

/ Tires spinning #27  
PHILIP8N said:
Curious why you would say that? Then what would you call it?

I would call it 4 wheel drive. If it was all wheel drive I would call it all wheel drive

/ Tires spinning #28  
I was reading an article in Diesel Progress or Off Highway Equipment about a new Fendt tractor. The tractor is 4wd, 4wd with rear locking diff, or 4wd with rear and front locking diff. They called the 4wd with rear and front locking diffs something like 'permanent 4wd'. This is a larger tractor, 150hp+ or so range. The 'permanent 4wd' is computer controlled, and if you exceed 12.5 mph or 25 degrees past steering angle, the front diff automatically unlocks. Of course this takes an ecm, automatic locker, and steering angle measuring devices, so this is a little too much for our little scut's. Think hst+ is expensive and complicated, think about adding this technology to a Grand Lxx40. Philip.

/ Tires spinning #29  
I was reading an article in Diesel Progress or Off Highway Equipment about a new Fendt tractor. The tractor is 4wd, 4wd with rear locking diff, or 4wd with rear and front locking diff. They called the 4wd with rear and front locking diffs something like 'permanent 4wd'. This is a larger tractor, 150hp+ or so range. The 'permanent 4wd' is computer controlled, and if you exceed 12.5 mph or 25 degrees past steering angle, the front diff automatically unlocks. Of course this takes an ecm, automatic locker, and steering angle measuring devices, so this is a little too much for our little scut's. Think hst+ is expensive and complicated, think about adding this technology to a Grand Lxx40. Philip.

Expensive.. yeah probably so, but it would be way cool:thumbsup: or how about equipping it with and air/electric locker for the fronts you could just press a button and lock for a second to get you unstuck and then you have brains enough to immediately unlock it before you turn the wheels. Eh.. I see some warranty claims on that one... :(

James K0UA

/ Tires spinning #30  
Well, a 2wd cor or tractor really only has as much traction as the lowest traction of one wheel.

A 4wd tractor has the traction of the 2 lowest value wheels.

A diff lock will add one more wheel to the above.

Pretty simple, really. Differential splits up the power to both wheels, either wheel on the axle can get any % of the available power.

--->Paul
Twice the lowest value in each case. ... Remember, the wheels not spinning are driving equal to their mate on the other side.
larry