Tires spinning

/ Tires spinning #41  
What a GREAT VIDEO!!!

Thank you for posting, K0ua!

It just further supports my contention that automotive text books, or even most any "how to" book, was better written (i.e., easier for me to GRASP) when it was written in the 1920's, '30's, '40's etc....

Why? I believe it's because they were written to be more easily "accessible" to the unsophisticated student, i.e., the "farmboy," fresh off the land. Eager to learn, but needing things to be K.I.S.S. And/or, EXPLAINED assuming ZERO knowledge on the student's part. In other words, they start from the beginning.

I have an automotive manual (not sure just where, or I'd list the title) for (I believe) all makes, generally, and it was written in 1925. It EXPLAINS HOW (and WHY) A COIL OPERATES, before it gets into troubleshooting and repair. Priceless!

I find modern manuals less "accessible," by comparison. And I was never even a "farmboy"!

Again, thanks for posting, K0oa. And, if I may, how did you find it? Do you know where there is a "treasure trove" of similar videos?

John Thomas--you mentioned seeing men get almost to the point of fighting over a "debate" about what is meant by the term "FWD." I too have seen that, albeit in web forums, re: pickup trucks. It is a testament to the HIGH QUALITY of the membership, here, that such topics to not devolve into such mayhem.

Now, I'll throw one out there
: how many of you would believe that the front diff of my F-250 is geared "one-one hundredth" of a ratio higher, than my rear diff--from the factory? IIRC, (I don't feel like crawling under it right now) the rear "rear" is 3.50:1, while the front diff is 3.49:1.

To the engineers and mathematicians
: if I've listed those values incorrectly, please school me--I'd rather look foolish and learn than just look foolish. :laughing:

Does anyone know why diffs vary by .01:1? I was told an answer, which made sense to me, and I'm sure many here already know it, but I'm throwing the question other there for fun, if nothing else.

And Kudos to Gary Fowler, for this:

I can't tell you how many times I've successfully used this trick, albeit on snow and ice, and with studded rear snows, only. Far more times, however, than I've been able to make people understand, and believe, that it works, I think! LOL

My Hoe

Well if you liked that one, perhaps you will like this one about arc welding. I don't know if you have any interest in how arc welding works, but this short video seems to explain what is going on under that bright light. Again it is old, and the graphic part of it is a "cartoon" but it worked for me. I don't have a specific location for finding these things.. they are just scattered around and I run across them or someone else post's them and I try to bookmark or remember them. Yes I agree with you on training materiel's and techniques. I attend a lot of training in my work, and give some training classes myself, and an awful lot of it is pretty bad. I also believe you should start at the beginning and not assume your audience has a firm foundation, as I have found they often do not, and are too embarrassed to raise their hands and declare their ignorance. I have also found that many trainers have no real understanding of the materials they are trying to present other than having read the PowerPoint in the hotel room the night before.:) Anyway watch the short arc welding video and see what you think. And I am glad you enjoyed the Video.

How Arc Welding Works - YouTube

James K0UA