TN 65 keeps blowing fuse when you try to start it

/ TN 65 keeps blowing fuse when you try to start it #11  
That looks like the solenoid trigger/exciter wire you are pointing to . In which case it is correct . The starter must be OK if it will start like this . I like the warning sticker , (DO NOT SHORT ACROSS SOLENOID TERMINALS):D Do you have rats in the barn ? I still think it's in the wiring but as stated , it could also be a faulty starter relay .

/ TN 65 keeps blowing fuse when you try to start it #12  
Could be a faulty neutral safety switch, or if it is a PowerShuttle, the shuttle lever/switch could be loose and the contacts on the back of the switch are shorting to the mount.

/ TN 65 keeps blowing fuse when you try to start it
That looks like the solenoid trigger/exciter wire you are pointing to . In which case it is correct . The starter must be OK if it will start like this . I like the warning sticker , (DO NOT SHORT ACROSS SOLENOID TERMINALS):D Do you have rats in the barn ? I still think it's in the wiring but as stated , it could also be a faulty starter relay .

There is a third, small wire on the back side of what can be seen clearly. It is a flat connector that slips on and off where as these other two are studs. We have had the occassional mouse in the barn but the poison we put out keeps them at bay.

Could be a faulty neutral safety switch, or if it is a PowerShuttle, the shuttle lever/switch could be loose and the contacts on the back of the switch are shorting to the mount.

It is a standard shuttle shift (shifter to the left of your knee). I had to change a NSS once before but do not remember how I tested it to find out it was faulty. Is there a quick, easy way to test the various NSS's or is there one in particular that you feel would be the culprit? Thank you for your help as well as everyone else who has posted in this thread.

/ TN 65 keeps blowing fuse when you try to start it #15  
G'day you should be shorting across to the small wire to guarantee the bendix will throw out as for the fuse blowing i would check the clutch switch as well as the pto switch they were notorious for giving trouble good luck:)

Jon

/ TN 65 keeps blowing fuse when you try to start it #16  
There is a third, small wire on the back side of what can be seen clearly. It is a flat connector that slips on and off where as these other two are studs. We have had the occasional mouse in the barn but the poison we put out keeps them at bay.

That's a bit of a worry then , the small wire should be the trigger wire . The picture is deceiving . The terminal that your top arrow is pointing to , does it go into the back of the starter motor case ? If it does , shorting across to it should only spin the starter but not engage the flywheel . The solenoid is not energised until power is supplied to the small terminal . When does the fuse blow ? Is it after the engine starts ? I'm wondering if the starter is being turned by the running engine and acting like a generator , back feeding current into the system and blowing the fuses .

Very original location you have there Banjo .

That's a bit of a worry then , the small wire should be the trigger wire . The picture is deceiving . The terminal that your top arrow is pointing to , does it go into the back of the starter motor case ? If it does , shorting across to it should only spin the starter but not engage the flywheel . The solenoid is not energised until power is supplied to the small terminal . When does the fuse blow ? Is it after the engine starts ? I'm wondering if the starter is being turned by the running engine and acting like a generator , back feeding current into the system and blowing the fuses .

Very original location you have there Banjo .

The fuse blows at different times. Some times the starter just starts to kick in, other times all that happens is the fuse blows. I will look the starter over and get better pics that are less deceiving.

/ TN 65 keeps blowing fuse when you try to start it #18  
Sorry Iron Horse didn't realise you from same i fix for you:eek:

/ TN 65 keeps blowing fuse when you try to start it #19  
Was this issue fixed? I have the same problem with my tractor, blows the ignition fuse whenever I attempt to start the engine. It's a JD 4720 but I figure the ignition physics must be quite similar.

No, it has been working fine on its own again and since I don't have time to tear it apart yet I have to wait till it acts up again hopefully after planting is done.