To fill or not to fill

/ To fill or not to fill #21  
I was quoted $3/gal (over the phone + install) the guy at the home office is thinking 70 gal. (Max)

I need to get in touch with the local distributor. I have the industrial tires on my CT 225. The spec sheet lists 15 x 19.5 for the rears, but that's the AG tire. Anyone have the correct tire size handy for the industrial tires? Thanks

/ To fill or not to fill #22  
I ran the first 40+ hrs. without filling then trying to decide if I wanted filled tires I bought the fill adapter at TSC and filled with water. Within a week I drained the water and filled with anti-freeze mix and haven't looked back. Besides adding stability, the operation I found most improved is traction loading the bucket. Without fill it was necessary to use 4wd just trying to scope loose topsoil I had delivered. With filled rears I can load he bucket in loose soil in 2wd just as easily as it was in 4wd non-filled.

If you do fill the tires continue to use rear ballast on the 3 point when lifting heavy loads in the FEL. Loaded tires help keep rear on the ground but do nothing to offset the heavy load on front axle with FEL loaded close to capacity.

This was pretty much my experience with my previous tractor a Kubota L3400hst. It was delivered with just air in the tires, and I used it that way for some time. I immediately set about building my ballast barrel, because without it, the tractor was scary.. Really scary around here on slopes with just a light blade on the back. I filled the tires and it made a big difference in the tractors ability to scoop, and push, and a big difference on the slopes around here also.

Of course I continued to use my 3pt ballast, but even with it on, I was still occasionally able to raise the rear tires off of the ground. After I filled the tires, that problem was solved. So overall I counted the filling of the rear tires as a good thing.. Of course I never had any punctures, so I might have change my tune if that had happened.

On my current tractor, I ordered it with filled tires, so I never operated it without. But you still need proper ballast on the rear when doing FEL work. Of course when you are operating for instance a rear blade, that ballast barrel is not doing me any good at all just setting there. And I am very glad I at least have the filled tires for some traction.:)

/ To fill or not to fill #23  
I was quoted $3/gal (over the phone + install) the guy at the home office is thinking 70 gal. (Max)

I need to get in touch with the local distributor. I have the industrial tires on my CT 225. The spec sheet lists 15 x 19.5 for the rears, but that's the AG tire. Anyone have the correct tire size handy for the industrial tires? Thanks

I think the 15 x19.5 are the Industrial size.. That is what I had on the L3400.

/ To fill or not to fill #24  

15x19.5 are industrial tires. They take 34 gallons per tire at 75% fill according to Firestone chart.

/ To fill or not to fill #25  
I think the 15 x19.5 are the Industrial size.. That is what I had on the L3400.
Perfect. I told the guy that sells the rim guard that 15x19.5 were the AG tire specs the industrials were close, maybe a bit wider. He thought closer to 50 gallons of juice. (@$2.40 gal) would be enough. So I'm set for Thursday to meet him up there.
I'm a little reluctant to admit it, but I've never worked out the rear ballast, or filled the tires. I've used the loader a lot. To haul a lot of logs, and dirt and rocks. I've had the rears off the ground too many times. Scared the crap out of me a few times. This is a start to making things a little safer. Saving a few $$ and taking too much of a risk. Of course, going to my 4th funeral this summer has me thinking about some things also. (Nothing tractor related in any of the funerals)
Glad this post got started. (Sorry for the hijack)

/ To fill or not to fill #27  
MoPops, filling the tires is like getting a different tractor. :cool: So in reality, you are spending a few dollars to get yourself a different tractor, trust me, it will seem like a different tractor. A much improved tractor IMO, I know both of mine were. ;)

/ To fill or not to fill #28  
Good news. Thanks for the info. There's a ton of stuff I need (grapple) but I am limited on $$.
Decided this needed to be done.

/ To fill or not to fill #29  
Good news. Thanks for the info. There's a ton of stuff I need (grapple) but I am limited on $$.
Decided this needed to be done.

When you get it done, come back and tell us what you think about the addition. :)