TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,722  
1577912554459405620872161541077.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,723  
Out of a revolver, much rather shoot a 22LR vs a 22WMR if by chance I'm not wearing hearing protection.

Picked up a PRM30 while ago, and must admit, muzzle flash and loudness surprised me given the caliber vs my Ruger single six.
I always wear hearing protection when shooting any firearm, I have a Ruger single six also, but it's a little big for concealed carry. I bought this for a carry/truck gun, fits nicely in my front jeans pocket most of the time it will be in the driver's door until I want to carry. The hammer will sit on an empty chamber. I have a Sig P365 also, but if my truck got broken into I would rather lose the little revolver than the Sig.
It's not the greatest carry gun, but it's better than no gun. I'll carry the Sig from time to time but the little revolver will stay in my truck.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,724  
I still have the Ruger single six my Dad bought me back in 1971. I can't even imagine trying to carry that in my front jeans pocket. I don't own a Sig P365 (or any Sig, really), but I'd much rather lose a new Sig anything than to lose my old single six Ruger. And I do carry it while hunting sometimes, if it's a "combined" hunt where I could bag a few squirrels while deer hunting, etc.

20140721_215159.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,725  
I still have the Ruger single six my Dad bought me back in 1971. I can't even imagine trying to carry that in my front jeans pocket. I don't own a Sig P365 (or any Sig, really), but I'd much rather lose a new Sig anything than to lose my old single six Ruger. And I do carry it while hunting sometimes, if it's a "combined" hunt where I could bag a few squirrels while deer hunting, etc.

View attachment 856765
THIS is something that people who have never shot a gun will EVER realize.

I still have my dads single six in the gun safe. I also bought a stainless steel version in the 2010's for my own boys.

I have some guns that I bought that are pretty expensive, but the cheap 16 gauge single shot (bought by my dads family during the depression) and cheap Winchester .22LR single shot rifle are the only 3 guns I want to hand down to my own son, and I rather burn them than to sell them outside the family.

I have no qulams selling higher end priced guns I bought in the past in todays market, but I will never ever sell my "family" guns, even though some are VERY cheap and not worth that much in today's times.

Used, cheap G19's are my "throw away handguns" LOL

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,726  
It's a fun game, but with today's cheap and accurate range finders it's of little practical use. Knowing the height of the target isn't practical, and range errors can be significant. That said, it's still a good skill to have in the back pocket and kind of neat to put an old math formula to some use. In math class we always used s = r*theta that applied if r was much larger than s. Here s is the distance from either end of the arc that's subtended by the angle theta in radians, and r is the radius of the arc. It's actually a special case of the formula for the circumference of a circle, i.e. C = 2*PI*R or PI*D.

But this all reduces very simply to the fact that the height of the target (m or yards) divided by the subtended angle of the target (radians) = range (m or yards) Such an easy formula to remember and use. For example, a 6ft individual who is measured to subtend 3.5 milrad is 2/.0035 yards away or 571 yards.

I remember when Leupold in their infinite stupidity introduced mil reticles but the scopes still had MOA adjustments. Which product manager thought that was a good idea? I was able to get an M4 3.5-10x FFP converted to M5 adjustments about 10 years ago but still have a couple of Mark 4s with mix and match, but moved to mil/mil about 20

I have a lifetime behind a scoped rifle... the formula I was taught early on, and has provided countless cold bore hits is this:

Known size of target in inches, multiplied by 27.77 (the constant), divided by the number of MILS subtended in the reticle gives you the range in yards. So, a 6' tall guy (72 inches) multiplied by 27.77 give the value of 1999.44, then say you subtend that person as 3.5 MILS on your reticle... 1999.44 divided by 3.5 equals 571.26 yards. So, I would dial in my 600 yd dope, and press the send button. Or, if using a very good reticle, I would just hold and send it, after making wind calls. One interesting fact, in doing thousands of reps on a KD range (Known Distance).... if you take the constant 27.77 and round up to 28 to make the math easier, it will not adversely affect a cold bore hit out to 600 yards. Beyond 600 yards is where it starts to really add up. By using 28, instead of 27.77, with the same 72" tall target, with 3.5 MILs read, gives you 576 instead of 571. Granted, if you are shooting bench rest, or needing sub MOA hits, a more accurate reading is needed. But, for a bipedal non-electric pop up target, it's not that crucial.

I spent so much time on the range, logging shot after shot... that I had my DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements) memorized out to 850 yards (in 50 yd increments) with M118LR. Of course, altitude, and humidity changes things, but a quick glance at the Kestrel took care of that. The hardest part of shooting long distance accurately was learning how to correctly make wind calls. Now, I am lucky if I get to shoot once a week.

Cheers!!!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,727  
THIS is something that people who have never shot a gun will EVER realize.

I still have my dads single six in the gun safe. I also bought a stainless steel version in the 2010's for my own boys.

I have some guns that I bought that are pretty expensive, but the cheap 16 gauge single shot (bought by my dads family during the depression) and cheap Winchester .22LR single shot rifle are the only 3 guns I want to hand down to my own son, and I rather burn them than to sell them outside the family.

I have no qulams selling higher end priced guns I bought in the past in todays market, but I will never ever sell my "family" guns, even though some are VERY cheap and not worth that much in today's times.

Used, cheap G19's are my "throw away handguns" LOL
I agree.

My first shotgun my Dad bought me when I was a boy was stolen out of the gunrack in my truck in downtown Alamogordo, NM in 1986. It was a single shot 16 ga Winchester (Model 37? it's been so long now). Actual monetary value at the time was probably laughable, but I was heartbroken and wish I still had it. I still have his Rem BDL in 308 he bought brand new in 70-71, his pristine condition Rem wingmaster in 20 ga he bought brand new in '57 and a few other "family" (grandfathers, uncles, etc) guns that will go to my grandkids (first one due in June!). Plus a few of my own that I consider "special".

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,728  
I have a lifetime behind a scoped rifle... the formula I was taught early on, and has provided countless cold bore hits is this:

Known size of target in inches, multiplied by 27.77 (the constant), divided by the number of MILS subtended in the reticle gives you the range in yards. So, a 6' tall guy (72 inches) multiplied by 27.77 give the value of 1999.44, then say you subtend that person as 3.5 MILS on your reticle... 1999.44 divided by 3.5 equals 571.26 yards. So, I would dial in my 600 yd dope, and press the send button. Or, if using a very good reticle, I would just hold and send it, after making wind calls. One interesting fact, in doing thousands of reps on a KD range (Known Distance).... if you take the constant 27.77 and round up to 28 to make the math easier, it will not adversely affect a cold bore hit out to 600 yards. Beyond 600 yards is where it starts to really add up. By using 28, instead of 27.77, with the same 72" tall target, with 3.5 MILs read, gives you 576 instead of 571. Granted, if you are shooting bench rest, or needing sub MOA hits, a more accurate reading is needed. But, for a bipedal non-electric pop up target, it's not that crucial.

I spent so much time on the range, logging shot after shot... that I had my DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements) memorized out to 850 yards (in 50 yd increments) with M118LR. Of course, altitude, and humidity changes things, but a quick glance at the Kestrel took care of that. The hardest part of shooting long distance accurately was learning how to correctly make wind calls. Now, I am lucky if I get to shoot once a week.

Cheers!!!
I don't know about all that fallderrall.

But I'm not a special forces ninja (or pretend to be). I'm just an old man that occasionally likes to turn bean bears (prairie dogs) into red mist.

All I know is my longest to date first shot hit on a prairie dog has been 1104 yards. I used this:

P1050348.JPG

I know, it's not "tacticool".

Savage 12F in 6.5x284, McGowan barrel, Nightforce benchrest 12-42x56 scope with limited production npr-1 reticle. It's sitting in Warne rings and on a 20 moa Warne base. Ranged the bean bear in the reticle scale (love that npr-1 reticle).

Not sure I'll ever top that shot on a first shot hit, that 139 gr Lapua scenar bullet transcends back to subsonic right at 1100 yds.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,729  
I agree.

My first shotgun my Dad bought me when I was a boy was stolen out of the gunrack in my truck in downtown Alamogordo, NM in 1986. It was a single shot 16 ga Winchester (Model 37? it's been so long now). Actual monetary value at the time was probably laughable, but I was heartbroken and wish I still had it. I still have his Rem BDL in 308 he bought brand new in 70-71, his pristine condition Rem wingmaster in 20 ga he bought brand new in '57 and a few other "family" (grandfathers, uncles, etc) guns that will go to my grandkids (first one due in June!). Plus a few of my own that I consider "special".
This happened to me as well. My first shotgun my Dad bought me, was a single shot Stevens 12GA that I loved with my whole heart. I was 7 when he bought it for me, and I learned to hunt with that shotgun. I killed my first dove with hit, my first quail with it, my first pheasant and my first deer. It was stolen from me the same way, from my gun rack in my truck, in 1986 as well.

I've often wanted to replace that shotty, but they stopped making it so long ago. My dad passed about three years ago. I was able to get several of his guns that have sentimental value to me. That Stevens shotty meant the world to me, because he gave it to me.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,730  
Unfortunately for me, I shoot left handed and my daughters all shoot right hand. So, my LH bolt rifles won't be something they can use (6.5 CM, .260Rem, .270, 25-06, .300WM, .375 H&H.)

However, I bought my youngest a RH Tikka T3x .260 stainless laminate and I have a number of really nice lever guns, AR's and pistols they'll get.