TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,161  
The wife got ~6 hours running the backhoe to set fence posts. I started the day out borrowing a Dingo with 6, 9 and 12 inch augers. None would dig into our shale shelf 12" under ground. So we threw the backhoe back on the L39 and put the wife to work. She is MUCH better with the backhoe than I am. She has much smoother controls and can make a deeper hole with less surface disturbance than I can. She dug in, back filled and compacted ~30 posts all with the hoe.

On a side note, I REALLY want to come up with an auger setup that will punch through shale. Any successful experiences?

ac

Attachments

• IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    996 KB · Views: 278
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,162  
The wife got ~6 hours running the backhoe to set fence posts. I started the day out borrowing a Dingo with 6, 9 and 12 inch augers. None would dig into our shale shelf 12" under ground. So we threw the backhoe back on the L39 and put the wife to work. She is MUCH better with the backhoe than I am. She has much smoother controls and can make a deeper hole with less surface disturbance than I can. She dug in, back filled and compacted ~30 posts all with the hoe.

On a side note, I REALLY want to come up with an auger setup that will punch through shale. Any successful experiences?

ac

Who needs an auger when you have a wife that can do that :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'd buy her her own hoe !!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,164  

ac

In Georgia we have some rock and real hard red clay and my PHD auger would just sit on top and spin...so I took the blade off the end of the Auger and took it to a welder who welded a carbide blade on each side of the auger cutting blade...It now cuts through the clay and rock chips like a hot knife through butter....You need an industrial diamond file for the end of a drill or grinder to sharpen it but it does not need sharpening very often.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,165  
In Georgia we have some rock and real hard red clay and my PHD auger would just sit on top and spin...so I took the blade off the end of the Auger and took it to a welder who welded a carbide blade on each side of the auger cutting blade...It now cuts through the clay and rock chips like a hot knife through butter....You need an industrial diamond file for the end of a drill or grinder to sharpen it but it does not need sharpening very often.

Could you PLEASE post more info? Are you saying I might be able to get away with carbide cutting teeth? Any pics?

ac

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,167  
Originally Posted by Short Game
The ground is as dry as it's going to get this year, so I went into what is normally a swampy area and dropped an alder that was growing pretty much alone with huge fat limbs. I've been bucking those fat limbs to 8 and 12 feet and putting them on my log forks to carry to higher ground. In a few weeks, I'll move them up here to my cabin, buck them to 4 feet, and drill and inoculate them with shiitake mushroom sawdust spawn. I did alder trunk wood before, but the limbs have way tougher and thicker bark and much denser wood. They should produce more mushrooms and do it longer. Yum.

Short Game,

They will grow on any hardwood, right? I wonder where I can get the sawdust spawn... Hmmm...

We got a little rain and my four year old logs started popping out new. :licking:

shiitakes_001.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,168  
I run a day late on the seat time stuff, as I do the pics in the morning.

Yesterday I moved the big limbs that are going to be my next batch of mushroom logs and bucked the first of them to 48 inches. I also buzzed a trailer full of the smaller limbs that were bigger than I wanted to chip.

I think I finally know how to post the pics as linking thumbnails. Here goes:

Attachments

• buzz 01.jpg
    buzz 01.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 214
  • buzz 02.jpg
    buzz 02.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,852
  • mushroom logs01.jpg
    mushroom logs01.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 255
  • mushroom logs02.jpg