TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,341  
Monday: seat time in the truck, on my way to the dealer.

Note to self: be sure to secure all guards and chains. Even if you don't get hurt, it can still be a right pain in the tail.

Dave, I had a similar issue 2nd time out with the dutter and I switched to Lynch Pins 100%.

Be well,

David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,342  
I had three loads (approx 22.5 tons each) of recycled concrete tailgated today.

Unexpectedly I spent 2 hours with a shovel and ;pick axe, and at least 4 or 5 hours backdragging.

The material clumpsand hardens nicely, so it does it in the truck too. it comes out in boulders and wil not tailgate worth a darn!

I ended up with VERY THICK material and nothing left over. I should have been able to use 2 loads for the road and one for tractor roads parking, etc. Nope...

Tough day. But i'm inproving with the FEL...
David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,344  
Mowed the road side with my sickle bar so I would not have any brush where the snow banks are going to be. If you have weeds or light brush in the snow banks they are much more reluctant to settle and you end up with much higher banks. It was a beautiful day especially for Nov.

Attachments

• P1040412.JPG
    P1040412.JPG
    775.1 KB · Views: 182
  • P1040424.JPG
    P1040424.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 189
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,345  
Hauled a bunch of bricks and concrete blocks I use to hold my pool cover in place. First "real" use of my new tractor -- and fun!

photo2-2.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,346  
The first three were actually over the weekend, drilled 30 acres of winter rye despite rain the better part Friday. The last one was today, clearing brush from around rock outcroppings in the corn field, which is being converted back into pasture.

7.jpg 8.jpg

9.jpg 21.JPG

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,347  
Spent an hour hauling rabbit poop to the compost pile then filled some stump holes the. Put on the grapple to hold some logs to buck up

Either you have a HUGH # of rabbits or it is a long way from the hutches to the compost pile.:laughing::laughing:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,348  
Today's seat time ended in about an hour on my back in the dirt working a tree out of the heart of my tractor. The cat was trying to climb a tree and a small 2" round tree broke and went up between my brake rod and engine. Engine stopped dead. The tree pinched the wires running under the right floorboard. Took some time to get the tree out then used the 5 amp fuse for the glow plugs to restart and drive tractor back around to the house.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111105_210223.png
    ForumRunner_20111105_210223.png
    405.6 KB · Views: 251
  • ForumRunner_20111105_210259.png
    ForumRunner_20111105_210259.png
    320.3 KB · Views: 242
  • ForumRunner_20111105_210320.png
    ForumRunner_20111105_210320.png
    565.8 KB · Views: 269
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,349  
Today's seat time ended in about an hour on my back in the dirt working a tree out of the heart of my tractor. The cat was trying to climb a tree and a small 2" round tree broke and went up between my brake rod and engine. Engine stopped dead. The tree pinched the wires running under the right floorboard. Took some time to get the tree out then used the 5 amp fuse for the glow plugs to restart and drive tractor back around to the house.

Do you own a chainsaw? That's a lot more practical method for dropping a small tree than the process you went through!

You're far from the first guy that I've heard of who wants to fell trees by running them down with a tractor. I think you learned today why it's a bad idea!

Fortunately, the damage was relatively light. If you had hooked on to some of your hydraulic plumbing, the damage would have been far worse.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,350  
His error was ignoring the 2 inch tree in the way and attacking the 10 inch tree. Pushing over tree's with a tractor is doable. You just have to be very very careful. There are several dangers, Never push over dead trees, they always break off up higher and fall on your hood or your head. Never ram a tree, apply power slowly. Dont overdo it, by trying to push over too large a tree, and breaking or bending something. Push trees a couple of days after a rain, preferbly, so the upper soil is firm, but the roots are still in looser wetter soil. Look first for widomakers or dead branches liable to break off and fall on your head. But if you dont feel comfortable doing it don't do it. Now again his error was not removing the 2 inch tree and keeping his work area clean before he attacked the larger tree. Always clean your work area, as you clear land, never leave anything that your tractor has to work over, be that small trees, large rocks or holes. Clean and repair, then move forward for the next victim.
One advantage to pushing over trees is there is no stump left to deal with.

James K0UA