standard.jpg

Into quarters and running them through the 4-way wedge,

standard.jpg

They made for a NICE pile of splits!!

standard.jpg

SR

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,812  
Nice, and a lot of work for you. :thumbsup:
When growing up we used to help our elderly neighbor bring his firewood in every fall. He always used to say "Firewood heats you twice... the first time when you cut it, the second time when you burn it."
\
Right about now, I'm sure that you know just what he meant.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,813  
I haven't gotten any seat time lately... wife's cousin has been needing firewood, so we've been working together cutting and splitting for us both. I was working on Saturday but he came over and used the tractor to load some split wood on his trailer with the loader. Couple chunks rolled over the top of the bucket and dented the hood... he was so upset, poor guy. I was more upset about the 16' maple log he cut into firewood than the tractor!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,814  
I cut and split a tree a tree guy cut at my neighbors. I’ll probably get 4 rick out of this tree. I could have never done this job without the log lift. IMG_0927.JPGIMG_0928.JPG

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,815  
I haven't gotten any seat time lately... wife's cousin has been needing firewood, so we've been working together cutting and splitting for us both. I was working on Saturday but he came over and used the tractor to load some split wood on his trailer with the loader. Couple chunks rolled over the top of the bucket and dented the hood... he was so upset, poor guy. I was more upset about the 16' maple log he cut into firewood than the tractor!

Ouch, my condolences... and not for the tractor!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,816  
Ouch, my condolences... and not for the tractor!

If referring to the maple log, he saved me the heartache of cutting it myself and finding it to be too far gone to be quality lumber. Had it been solid, I'd have been far more upset. I suspected it would be junk, but was going to chance it... there's about a 10' piece he left, that I will might try to mill. Not solid lumber, but nicely spalted, my buddy makes beautiful wooden bowls he turns on his lathe.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,817  
If referring to the maple log, he saved me the heartache of cutting it myself and finding it to be too far gone to be quality lumber. Had it been solid, I'd have been far more upset. I suspected it would be junk, but was going to chance it... there's about a 10' piece he left, that I will might try to mill. Not solid lumber, but nicely spalted, my buddy makes beautiful wooden bowls he turns on his lathe.
I love planks of spalted maple. Price is a premium in my part of the country. Ridiculous, actually.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,818  
There’s a fine line for spalted maple. It’s usually rotten or not spalted enough. Ambrosia maple is a safer option. Curly maple is my favourite. Not that we have much choice in the matter.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,819  
There’s a fine line for spalted maple. It’s usually rotten or not spalted enough. Ambrosia maple is a safer option. Curly maple is my favourite. Not that we have much choice in the matter.
I'm no expert on spalted marble slabs but I do poke all over them to determine hardness (hotness). I have only bought a few matching slabs for a couple projects and I feel I am being taken advantage of... I pulled a few logs on my property for slicing but I don't have a mill.

Eye now on a Laguna or similar 14in minimum bandsaw for some small production boards.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,820  
It’s possible to stabilise it but it’s more time and expense than I’m willing to go through. It’s obviously a more likely solution for small pieces. I wanted a Laguna for a long time, but I couldn’t afford one then. I ended up buying a 18” Jet for $700. I could afford a Laguna now, but the jet works good enough.