Too much stuff

/ Too much stuff
I agree with painting the KK JD green. I purchased it new the same day I took the picture in this post. I needed a landscape rake and my local TSC had a 7 ft in stock. I also have a KK sub-soiler. I haven't used either attachment long enough to rate the quality of KK. They seem somewhat lightweight, but the price was right...BUT...their paint is horrible. All kidding aside I don't care what color it is, but I don't like rust. By the end of summer they will be either JD green or cheap black!

/ Too much stuff #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone in my shape? It didn’t seem like I had all that many attachments until I had to get them all out of winter storage.

I really need a shed!
)</font>

I wish I was in your shape!
Bob

/ Too much stuff #13  
There's much to be said for a simple way of life.

Last summer, we decided to start making things a little less "involved" for the future. We bought a new place, replete with new barns, better fences, more comfortable (and smaller) house, fruit trees, and LOWER TAXES. I started moving all my accumulated plunder in early October.

I had no idea how much "stuff" I had.

3 "work tractors", 2 more collector tractors, 3 trailers, 4 plows, 3 disc's, a tiller, 2 rear blades, a box blade, a pulverizer, 2 seeders, a grain drill, 2 corn planters, 2 balers, 2 rakes, a sickle bar mower, a haybine, 6 wagons, a corn picker, 2 cultivators, 2 fertilizer spreaders, 2 sprayers, a post hole auger, 3 bush hogs, a couple hay elevators, a grinder/mixer, and that's just the big stuff for the tractors.

Time to "liquidate" some holdings.

As soon as we moved, my son came at me with an offer for the old place. In 2 months, I went from 88 acres to 133, and back down to 45.

Around Christmas time, the wife and I had a looooong talk about cutting down on all the "work, just for the sake of working". If it wasn't for a good reason, it had to go away.

After several trailer loads went to the consignment auctions, now all that's here is 2 tractors (but I'm working on buying a few more "oldies") 1 trailer, 1 plow, the tiller, 1 rear blade, a box blade, the pulverizer, a seeder, 1 fertilizer spreader, 1 2-row planter, 1 bush hog, and a post hole auger.

Away went the cows. Away went any thoughts of baling hay. All we are doing now is planting a couple acres of garden, and mowing grass.

All that "stuff" I treasured so is long gone. And you know what's so funny? I DON'T MISS IT 1 BIT! Sometimes we get so caught up in "statistics" that we forget the object of the game.

ENJOY LIFE! It's short. Have what you need, forget what you don't. My little farm made for a great place to raise my kids. It was also working me into an early grave.

In some cases, less is more.

/ Too much stuff #14  
<font color="blue">subsistance life style</font>

The wife and I lived that way for a short time. Didn't make any money and didn't spend any money......but boy were we busy. Big garden, old equipment & tools, hunted lots for our meat. I have friends that are still doing the subsistance life style. They seem to be little less relaxed than you might expect them to be. It ain't all that easy.

For me getting rid of all the stuff I don't really need or use and resisting the pressure to have all the latest gadgets etc etc has made life better.

/ Too much stuff #15  
<font color="blue">I really need a shed!
</font>

So do I. Outgrew my 24'x42' garage/shop in a year.

Spent some time today sketching an equipment shed using Punch!4000 design software. It's a rough first draft. Will pretty it up later this week.

Attachments

• 866458-Tractor shed design-001-16apr06-small.jpg
    866458-Tractor shed design-001-16apr06-small.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 255
   / Too much stuff
I have punch 4000 too and I love it. I don't even have a garage at the moment. I am in the process of remodeling and old school into a home. I have too many projects going at once, but before winter I will build something.

/ Too much stuff #17  
This really is an interesting thread.

I have a professional career that involves all of the bells-and-whistles of modern technology: multiple cell phones, PDAs, lap-tops, electronic faxes, GPS, BlueTooth, etc, etc. Wonderful technology that they are, all of these "time saving" devices ultimately wind up in taking up more of my time. Since I can get more done, I am expected to get more done. All of these services require extra time and maintenance to keep operating in addition to the time I should be using them to do my job. I can't go anywhere without a laptop bag, at least one handset, inumerable chargers and adapters....yada, yada. In the end, my 40 hour a week job usually sucks up between 60-70hrs.......it's a never-ending circle.

The same principle applies to this discussion. I have hit on the realization, kind of early in life, that labor-saving devices do not always equate to less labor. They can reduce the amount of time for one, but allow you more time to tackle others and the expectations rise accordingly. Again, not including the amount of time needed for up-keep on each extra piece of labor-saving equipment you buy.

If landscaping or custom work were my job, then I'd have to customize my offerings as much as possible to satisfy the customer. But, if I'm just kickin' around on the back 40, I don't need so much.

I want a bigger, newer tractor but I hardly ever get any seat time on the little 8N as it is. I salivate over a new 8'-10' shredder, but the 5' I've got still has the chalk markings from the factory on it. I keep scouring for the best tiller deals, but the 5' disc I've got does a fine job with no complaints.

Oh well, this is just me blowing-off a little /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Too much stuff #18  
Joe:

I have a newer bigger tractor that is easier to use and safer. The wife and "kids" (20 & 24) can easily run the new tractor whereas with he old NAA I was worried about letting them use it.

I think it boils down to discipline. Set your priorities and go for it. You must take time to enjoy life and make life enjoyable for those around you. When you're dead you won't get any of those chores on the back 40 done anyway......it won't matter.

I learned to stop doing any of those "necessary" chores to have a nice long lunch in the sun or take off for an afternoon of fishing.

I've got three computers on my desk and two telephones etc etc . When I retire that will all disappear.

Regards

/ Too much stuff #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There are times I wish for a few simple items necessary to survive, the time to enjoy good books, good music and try and learn about what is happening on the otherside of the hill. )</font>

Given the demands on one's time, effort, money, there are times when you have to ask:

Do I have the stuff .... OR DOES THE STUFF HAVE ME ?

/ Too much stuff #20  
You can never be too thin, too rich, have too much RAM, or have too much tractor stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif