Too Much Traction?

/ Too Much Traction? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Mark C.

To answer your post about too much traction?

Yes, you can have too much.

Too much w/2WD, tractor stands on it's rear (or goes over)

Too much w/4WD, wheels turn inside stationary tires /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

del

/ Too Much Traction? #2  
Naah,

Never seen too much traction - just tractors not set up to use it. Goodyear Farm Tire Catalog lists the optimum design HP for a given amount of traction for a specific tire. Kubota hits the nail on the head and John Deere doesn't usually have sufficient HP for the tire size used. Loosely translated, a Kubota can be weighted heavier if you run out of traction, but it is hard to take weight off when it is not needed.

Yes, the rims will turn inside the tires, but we are only dreaming that we have that much HP on these little tractors. Not easy to get a tractor on the rear wheels with proper ballast and a proper 3 point arrangement with appropriate implements and at least one days skill.

/ Too Much Traction?
I think to do the stand on end you have to do the frozen to the ground tire trick like someone mentioned recently.

To get the wheels to spin in the tires you have get rid of that M series and get a BX2200...2200 lbs w/loader and rear implement and 2200 hp. I've ruined more tires on this thing by hitting the HST pedal too hard. One of the few vehicles I've ever driven that will make tire screeching sounds in the dirt if you take off to fast, as the tires dig down and hit hardpan. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Too Much Traction? #4  
Yeah, I mentioned that, but if you have one day's experience and read this board, you will not do that. That is not a traction issue, it is an issue of an unmovable force and if you have enough force, the tractor will turn instead.

I may have to buy me a BX if it will really do that. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Too Much Traction? #5  
Well, when I start spinning the wheels inside the tires, I'll let you know. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

That sounds like one incredible BX you've got there, Del. If I didn't have so much work in mods to my L4310, I'd trade up. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mark

/ Too Much Traction?
Yep, I tried out one them there L4610s at the dealer, ran it into their cement loading dock, the dang thing just stopped without breakin' up the dock...thayall hafta do betta than that to get that BX away from me!

/ Too Much Traction? #7  
Another form of to much traction is tire chains.

Thomas..NH

/ Too Much Traction? #8  
Thomas, I don't get it.

How can you possibly have too much traction. There are many times when I wish I had a tracked loader. That would be about 3 times the traction I have now with an 8000# tractor with large Ag tires. The name of the whole game is traction if you are using any earth engaging implements. I have never seen chains on Ag tires, but that doesn't mean there aren't instances where they might add a little more traction. When that Ag Rib bites into loose or muddy soil, something is hopefully going to move. They make a deeper rib high traction Ag Tire where it is needed in muddy areas.

If you could actually have infinite traction, every single thing you do would work better and not a single one of them would be worse!

/ Too Much Traction?
Wen, I must not have "grinned" enough when I posted, I was referring to Mark C's question, probably after a post about those killer R4 R1 combo tires he has
"If I had too much traction how would I know it?)
A tongue in cheek question.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Too Much Traction? #10  
I understood that del. I just drove by an old antique tractor yesterday that had all METAL wheels and thought about the two much traction thread you had going. However; that said, I am always concerned when someone new to tractoring might be reading these posts and thinks that something that more traction could be bad. If ever there was anyone that truly understands traction, it is someone with an L35!

Or as Dr. Deming used to always say in his lectures about management, "How could they know." Wonder what he must have been thinking?