Too Much Traction?

/ Too Much Traction? #12  
Wen I use tire chains quite abit on my ag tires they are a great traction help. Really helps on slick logs and snow also in mudd gives an added bite but will still let the tread clean itsself.
Gordon

/ Too Much Traction? #13  
gordon,

I started to say excluding logging, because Ag treads are designed for soft soil. I have so many trees, here that if you exclude the orchard, you could clear cut my place in about 15 minutes if you didn't hurry. My dad's place has about 70 acres of very old Oaks and people here don't usually sell trees for timber. He cut small trees and brush off 20 acres with a Bulldozer and just pushed some of them in some washes and threw dirt in on top of them and burned the rest.

Yeah chains have their place, I just have never seen them on an agricultural tractor around here. The tractor is what you go get when the 4WD gets stuck. If the tractor gets stuck, you let the ground dry a little. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Too Much Traction? #14  
Wen I realize your in a very different part of the U.S. but what do you mean--you don't sell your timber for money? I saw a overhead picture of your place and chains around there would be useless. But pushed them in a ditch. Halfway decent timber brings 16-20 cents a board foot and let me tell you that adds up quick on large trees. Prime timber brings more it also depends on market as well. How swamped the mills are. I've been offered as low as 8 cents and held it for three weeks and the same person offered 16 cents.
Gordon

/ Too Much Traction? #15  
Well, I must say you guys have thoroughly thrashed a question I considered to be beyond debate to the point of being humorous. Just goes to show there's never want of a dissenting viewpoint. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mark

/ Too Much Traction? #16  
Gordon, these were small trees and brush. The big oaks are all still standing. Most of the logging takes place in East Texas where it actually rains once in a while.

Mark, all we decided is you really need bigger tires on your tractor (and more weight). I saw some material once that was some kind of non-radioactive but very heavy material. They would leave a piece of it about 12 inches in diameter laying on a bench and you couldn't pick it up. Now that is what we need for wheel weights. To heck with this old lightweight steel. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Too Much Traction? #17  
Mark as you should know nothing is ever and I mean ever beyond debate!!! On the serious side of traction with your larger rear tires would chains clear the fenders?
gordon

/ Too Much Traction? #18  
Ok I'm with you now I misunderstood what you were saying.

If I didn't know better I think Mark is funnin us./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ Too Much Traction? #19  
Wen - Ok, I'm game! Where do we get this stuff and how do we make wheel weights out of it? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Maybe the better question is: If we manage to get that far, how do we get them on and off the tractor?

Mark

/ Too Much Traction? #20  
Gordon - I've got a little over an inch of clearance. So, some chains might fit, but not all.

Mark