Loader Toothbar gives more control

/ Toothbar gives more control #1  

B58Hustler

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys have already learned this, but here goes.

For 12 years I had used my 540 loader on a 5200 for moving 7-9 foot logs to the landing. But that bucket had only a cutting edge and when used with a set of tongs and chain...just a couple degrees out of level would cause the log to slide to the low side. That meant carrying shorter lengths so the bucket would be closer to the ground. Or most often drag it out and get the usual load of dirt and grit that just chews up the saw chain.

So the picture shows the 3320 with a toothbar carrying a 7 foot piece of ash with a chain and tongs. Pretty level ground here, but out in the woods you find that the toothbar teeth limit the movement to only about 8 inches. Thus a lot more control without a feeling of instant rollover. This still is a dangerous move and requires a decision to go/no go based on conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 653
   / Toothbar gives more control #2  
Wow- just looking at that picture makes me nervous- may want to put up the ROPS...

/ Toothbar gives more control
Wow- just looking at that picture makes me nervous- may want to put up the ROPS...
Mustang, you bet, the rollbar is up when I'm going to work. I had just pulled out of the garage so my wife could take the pix.

/ Toothbar gives more control #4  
Wouldn't be safer to just ratchet strap the log across the bucket? MIght take longer, but I am sure you will live longer too!

I did that once with a 4 wheeler so I could work on it, part of the 4-wheeler was still on the ground and darn near rolled the tractor over and it wasn't even moving.

/ Toothbar gives more control #5  
Luv that bad a-- Landpride R/B 3584 :thumbsup:

Boone

/ Toothbar gives more control #6  
I'd rig the log so it would lift more horizontally...keep the loader lower.

/ Toothbar gives more control #8  
Uh got a set of pallet forks? Im not a member of the saftey club but even this looks dangerous to me.

/ Toothbar gives more control #9  
I can see a new implement on your future.... grapple :thumbsup:

/ Toothbar gives more control #10  
Why not just skid them with the 3 pt? unless you don't want to rip up your yard or get them a little dirty.... I've skidded 2 -30 foot tree tops at the same time branches and all with the JD2520. I could not and would not carry logs like that at my place, I would end up on my side!!!!! I could see picking them up like that to place them for cutting but that would be it....:confused2: