Toothbar. Good idea?

/ Toothbar. Good idea? #21  
Well, that sounds like it's worth a shot! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Toothbar. Good idea? #22  
<font color="blue"> Pretty darn smart for a tall guy </font>

It's just age and experience. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you've ever tried to back a nut off dirty, damaged and rusted threads you learn pretty quick you don't want to do that again. Another nut just seemed like a good way to protect the threads. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Toothbar. Good idea? #23  
Would it make sense to use a cap (acorn) nut? That would cover the threads entirely.

/ Toothbar. Good idea? #24  
<font color="blue"> I would imagine that if the threads on the end of the bolt weren't destroyed, the bolt would either be bent somewhat or the hex would be chewed up so that a wrench would hold without slipping?</font>

My toothbar came with carrage(sp?) bolts, the nuts had to go on the outside. There is only about 2 or 3 threads sticking out past the nuts when it is tightened, so they are unlikely to get boggered up. As far as the bolts bending, the teeth are notched on the bottom so the cutting edge of the bucket takes all the force when when you are digging. The bolts just keep the toothbar from falling off when you dump the bucket, or backdrag.

/ Toothbar. Good idea? #25  
You didn't say what size bucket you have , so it is hard to say if $350 is a good price. I'd recommend the bar over individaul teeth . It is much easier to remove. I can supply toothbars . They are custom made by FFC. Need thickness of cutting edge & inside width of bucket. They say to allow 2-3 weeks , but are usually quicker. sheaftractor@coiinc.com

/ Toothbar. Good idea? #26  
Slippy, I ordered my toothbar from Leonard at Shea Tractor. Great product, price, service. No complaints, I'd do business with him again.

/ Toothbar. Good idea? #27  
A cap (acorn) nut would probably have done the job, too. I didn't happen to have any of those and did have the others. I was lucky in that the exposed thread were almost exactly the same as what a second nut would cover. I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Toothbar. Good idea?
My bucket is about 78" wide by about 26 1/2" deep, depending upon where you measure it. What would be a good price for one this size. Also, I noticed in some of the attachements and from what I've seen, some have longer arms that go deeper into the bucket than others. It seems reasonable that deeper would be stronger, but are there other considerations?

/ Toothbar. Good idea? #29  
Slippy,

Just give Mark Bruckner a call and have him price it to you. I think I gave you his phone number last week. He'll take real good care of you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Toothbar. Good idea?
Just a note to say thanks for all who helped on this thread. Ordered my tooth bar today. Being custom fit, HD, two bolts, with put through from outside in as suggested.
Thanks again.