Toplink Top Link Pin

/ Top Link Pin #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
I am having my JD weight box filled with cement in the next day or 2.

Once the cement has firmed up can I lift the box out of my truck by hooking onto the top link pin.?? How big should the pin be.??

(need a quick answer)

Thanks.

/ Top Link Pin #2  
Depends on how the mounting for the top link is, and how heavy the box is. It may be possible if not too heavy. Just use your common sense! It will lean over when you lift it, but you will be able to get on ground. Why not just fill it will concrete on the ground? Use the biggest pin that will fit the whole.

/ Top Link Pin #3  
I am having my JD weight box filled with cement in the next day or 2.

Once the cement has firmed up can I lift the box out of my truck by hooking onto the top link pin.?? How big should the pin be.??

(need a quick answer)

Thanks.
The pin can only be as big as the hole. Which if it is for a cat1 hitch, then I'm pretty sure the top link pin is 3/4". Never use anything smaller than that. It might be better to cement a handle in the top for lifting. Bend a piece of heavy rebar or solid pipe into the shape of a "U". You may even want to flare the ends of the "U" outward as well. Once the crete is poured, then stick the "U" upside down in the crete, leaving a loop exposed. Make sure you leave the legs of the "U" long enough to really get down into the crete. Then you can use the handle to hook you chain to while lifting it.

/ Top Link Pin
The more I think about it I am realizing that need to put a rebar handle in the center.

How big does the rebar need to be (gauge).??

I am having it filled at a cement plant.

I'm all set...may not be this week that I get it filled. No snow in sight, yet. I need to take just a little time to do it right. The "handle" will come in handy. I fought with attachments this weekend at the 3pt. hitch. Arrggghhhhh.!!!!!!

I'm a newb.

Thanks guys.

/ Top Link Pin #5  
The more I think about it I am realizing that need to put a rebar handle in the center.

How big does the rebar need to be (gauge).??

I am having it filled at a cement plant.

I'm all set...may not be this week that I get it filled. No snow in sight, yet. I need to take just a little time to do it right. The "handle" will come in handy. I fought with attachments this weekend at the 3pt. hitch. Arrggghhhhh.!!!!!!

I'm a newb.

Thanks guys.

You will fight with 3pt. attachments as long as you own a tractor. The thing is, with time and experience, the fight becomes less and less of an issue. I don't speek rebar language so someone else will help you decide on what size you should use. I would say min. 1/2". I think there is a number associated with 1/2" rebar. Maybe a number 5? Someone will let you know.

/ Top Link Pin #6  
You should be able to buy a 4' piece of rebar at your local home center and bend it into shape, I would use 1/2" rebar which is a commonly available size. I would do this sooner than later as the concrete needs to set for a week or so (depends on how cold it is and how thick) and could be curing for you during the holidays. You only need the concrete to cure fully if you are going to use the rebar to pick it up.

/ Top Link Pin
True....By putting the rebar in the cure time is extended.

Thanks for the heads up.

/ Top Link Pin #8  
I pick mine up with the top link pin all the time, no handle needed.

/ Top Link Pin #9  
Didn't we just cover this in another thread you started? Don't forget to seal those seems;)

/ Top Link Pin #10  
Rebar goes in 1/8" increments so a 4 is 1/2" 6 is 3/4 ...

I've picked mine up by the pin, it's at least as strong as 1/2" rebar which often fractures under the stress of such a tight bend instead of rebar hook for that one time you need to get it of the truck I'd rather see you put some pipes in for tools.

Also mine only took 6 x 80 lb bags of concrete mix, leaving about 3 inches from the top, you could mix that right in the box in 20 minutes. It doesn't have to be a perfect mix, it ain't going anywhere and your not stripping the forms :) you couldn't mix in the box if you were putting pipes in, but it is only 3 x 2 bag mixes in a wheelbarrow.