Torque value-HELP

/ Torque value-HELP #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
This has absolutely nothing to do with a tractor, but I can't find the torque value for torquing the aluminum wheels on my wife's '02 Ford Ranger Edge.

I looked in the owners manual, searched the web and I have had no results.

The vehicle has a vibration at about 65 mph and I have been told that it is a problem with improper torquing of the 16" aluminum wheels

If anyone has the torque value, I'd certainly appreciate it.

It's very frustrating that the value isn't in the owners manual.

/ Torque value-HELP #2  
the simple way would be to loosen them all and then start to torque them down one at a time as if it were a head and then keep increasing the torque. I would assume that it is about 40 - 50 pounds. If there is a vibration, I doubt that it has anything to do with the torque of the wheels as much as it might be a out of round tire or out of balance tire. As long at the wheel is seated firmly against the mating surface, the torque would not make any differance....... that is unless it was so loose as to fall off....

/ Torque value-HELP #3  
It does seem odd, but I don't find anything about torque values in the manual for our '01 Windstar. I know in the past, alloy wheels were supposed to be torqued to a higher value than the steel wheels, which seemed backwards to me the first time I heard it over 20 years ago and I would assume that's still the case. So I don't know what they're supposed to be torqued to, but would bet it's more than 80 foot pounds.

/ Torque value-HELP
Bird:

I looked all over the web, at varoius forums that dealt with Ford vehicles and Ranger pickups. The only thing I found was aluminum wheel had to be torqued to a greater foot pound than steel wheels.

The reason for the re-torque was I was talking to someone, somewhere and he said that his Ranger had a vibration and the dealer replaced the wheels 2 times and the tires 3 times and finally figured out that the vibration was caused by over torquing the wheels with an impact wrench. The impact deformed the mounting surface of the area where the studs mount to the rotor. That caused the vibration. I think it was discussed somewhere in a thread here, but I cna't remember where.

I re-torqued all the lug nuts to 110 foot pounds in a criss-cross fashion. I hope that will eliminate the problem. I will have to wait until Monday, when my wife drives to work.

It's odd that the owners manual dosen't specify a torque value. I did notice that when I loosened the lugs up, some were much tighter than others.

/ Torque value-HELP #5  
Wheels should never be installed with a torque wrench. They do distort the rotor and the wheel by over torquing. And don't you want to ramp the impact wrench around the knucklehead that used one to tighten the lug nuts to your car when you are trying to change a flat tire late on a rainey night on dark backroad!
Leo

/ Torque value-HELP #6  
Hi Daryl,
That might have been my 00 Mountaineer you are referring to. The dealer used an impact to change the tires (Firestones) and bent a rim and rotor. They were never able to figure out what went wrong, so I took it to an independant tire place and they wouldn't even look at it. He told me that he had so many Fords in there with vibrations after they had been to the Ford dealer that he wouldn't even touch them anymore. I later found out what had happened to it after I traded it in. Now I specify on the repair order that they don't use impacts on the wheels. Haven't had that problem since.
Good Luck.

/ Torque value-HELP #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Wheels should never be installed with a torque wrench. They do distort the rotor and the wheel by over torque
Leo )</font> )</font>

What? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Check at the spare and on the rear door or near the jack.

They have had tons of problems with tires/wheel and balance problems most are from tolerances they allow in parts eventialy coming to a head especialy on F150 and F-super's.

The only problems with impact is not using torq sticks. Too much time most say they have no clue as to what actualy happens to a thin rim when it's in a bind.

/ Torque value-HELP #8  
I suspect that a lot of experimentation with re-torqueing /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, plus re-balancing at a different shop will cure your problem.

/ Torque value-HELP #9  
http://www.torquestick.com/

I'm having problems opening .PDF documents so you're just going to have to open the torque chart on this site and check it yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Torque value-HELP
BGott:

I opened the PDF file and printed it. The Ranger pickup is not on the chart, rats!!