Torque value-HELP

/ Torque value-HELP #21  
I really didn't want to give you advice that someone would prove wrong. I torque 'em to 100 pounds-feet myself. We had a book at Firestone that gave all the torque settings on lugnuts and also all the recommended front wheel bearing tightening proceedures. I figured that chart would have it but couldn't check it ahead of time. Sorry!

/ Torque value-HELP #22  
If the shops used torgue sticks that would help but have run into many that don't ... The problem is not only with the Fords but I have had problems with other makes ...
Leo

/ Torque value-HELP #23  
The problem with torqueing one down and going from there is that the first one doesn't stay at that torque. The wheel cocks towards the first tightened and then when you tighten the rest the first one ends up way overtorqued. That's how the assembly gets warped, the wheel bends the rotor as it is pulled down. I've had to deal with torque induced vibration after dummies have tightened wheels down starting at one and going around the circle, I just unscrew all the lugs a half turn and then take them back down in a star pattern to the proper torque. If you own a Honda and, I'm sure, some other small cars you might as well go ahead and junk the rotors if they are tightened wrong, you'll get brake pedal pulsation within a hundred miles.

/ Torque value-HELP #24  
When I worked at a Porsche repair shop, we always tightened (but not too tight) with a socket/breaker bar first, then did a progressive torque. That is, torque (using a criss/cross pattern) to 50 or 60% of the final torque, then torque to specs (again, criss/cross pattern). I couldn't find the spec, but memory tells me it's 85 or 90 ft-lbs. This was applicable on both cast aluminum and the forged aluminum wheels.

/ Torque value-HELP #25  
Torque value is 100lb/ft per the 2002 Ranger shop manual. Remember this is for clean, dry threads. You should reduce torque value approx 20 percent if anti-seize or other lubricants are used.

/ Torque value-HELP #26  
I think 100ft/lbs. is about what an average man will exert with a standard lug wrench without breaking a sweat. That happens to be what the low setting on my impact wrench is. Works good for me, I can put them on with the impact wrench and still remove with the jack handle if necessary.

/ Torque value-HELP #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Torque value is 100lb/ft per the 2002 Ranger shop manual. Remember this is for clean, dry threads. You should reduce torque value approx 20 percent if anti-seize or other lubricants are used. )</font>

why the reduction in torque????? dry or lubricate threads... 100 ft pounds is still the same..... Is the 20% what the book says????? Doesn't make any sense to me..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Torque value-HELP #28  
"Remember this is for clean, dry threads."
I have always wondered how, or if, friction was figured into torque values. Obviously, if you torque a rusted bolt with a torque wrench set at 100 ft/lbs., it will click at 100 due to friction, however the actual torque on the bolt will be far less than 100 ft/lbs. So, is torque correct on a dry bolt, (some friction), or on a lubricated bolt, (almost no friction).

/ Torque value-HELP #29  
Lubrication reduces the frictional drag on the fastener and therefore increases the true torque on the assembly. I agree with the 20% reduction in torque setting.

I hope you made sure not to allow any on the mating surface between the nut and wheel. That severely affects the torque. It also reduces the holding friction of the joint, possibly allowing loosening of the nut while in service.

/ Torque value-HELP
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Torque value is 100lb/ft per the 2002 Ranger shop manual. Remember this is for clean, dry threads. You should reduce torque value approx 20 percent if anti-seize or other lubricants are used. )</font>

To everyone:

That's what I torqued them at. I removed the lugs I put never sieze on, cleaned the studs and nuts with brake cleaner and re-mounted the wheels.

My wife told me the vibration is gone. She is happy, I am happy. I paint marked the wheels with 100 foot pounds so I can remember. If she get a flat on the road, I hope the tireman will heed the torque setting too.

I think what happened is: She took the Ranger to the dealer at 12K for a front end alignment and balance. That is part of the warranty so it's free. I think they re-mounted the wheels with the old impact and never torqued them to specs. The vibration appeared just after she brought the Ranger home.

Again, thanks to everyone. I knew if I posted the problem, someone would have the answer. That's what makes this site the best place for information. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif