Torque Wrench Question

/ Torque Wrench Question #32  
I have 3.
A 1/2" drive beam type SK that I bought 35 years ago when I realized I could either afford a used car or have it serviced at a garage, but not both. It handles about 80% of my torqueing requirements.
A 3/4" drive HF clicker that I needed to retorque my front axle nuts after replacing the bearings on a front wheel drive car.
A 3/8" drive Craftsman clicker that I got last year for its in-lb vs ft-lb scale for torqueing a lawnmower head.
All 3 perform as well as I need them to, which is to say well enough.

Last edited:
   / Torque Wrench Question #33  
I have a Proto 50-250. 1/2 drive never had socket on it. I would take $120 for.
Paul

/ Torque Wrench Question #34  
Nothing wrong with buying an expensive clicker type or dial readout torque wrench and using it forever, except most folks forget that they do require having the calibration checked/adjusted from time to time. Springs fatigue and debris gets in the mechanism that can five false readings.

About 25 years ago a friend of mine that worked in the tool crib at American Airlines took my at that time 10 year old Craftsman torque wrench to work with him, and when he checked it it was off by almost 20% and dirty inside. After that I had hi, service it yearly. and it would only be 3-4% off when checked.

After that one finally gave up the ghost (internal breakage, part not available to repair) on the same friends recommendation I started using the inexpensive ones like from Harbor Freight. Out of the box they checked out at 1-2%. and after a year just replace it. You can either use the old one as a ratchet, or do as I do and put it out in the annual garage sale and sell it for 10-15 bucks.

Ken

/ Torque Wrench Question #35  
Dont know who made it for Sears but I have a Craftsman digital torque senser that makes any ratchet a troque wrench. Its 1/2" drive and has a remote display with hold feature like on a Fluke meter. You can set it and it will beep when torque is reached. I've had this for over 8 years. It comes calibrated with papers and can be recal'd. I've seen others over the years, they are getting smaller and probably more reliable, heck even HF sells one for about $40, mine was $89 8 years ago, i bought it on sale, regular price was over 100 IIRC. I have click type and beam type torque wrenches, but I use this digital adapter quite a bit and when checked against my other wrenches it appears to be accurate.
131_0703_02_z+craftsman_torque_meter+with_cable.jpg

/ Torque Wrench Question #37  
I would go with a 1/2 Snap on torque wrench.
That digital torque sensor is pretty neat. I never much noticed one before. I see this one in the latest tool catalog down at the bike shop today :)

ACDelco ARM602-3 3/8" and ARM602-4 1/2" Digital Torque Adapters - Review | Tools In Action - Tools and Gear for the Working Man

I have on of those in a 1/2'' drive. I checked it against my Snap on torque wrench and believe it or not it was accurate. It was only $50, I never use it.