Towing 14K trailer

/ Towing 14K trailer #21  
No it does not. In most states, except CA and maybe NY, CDL range is a GCWR of 26,001 lbs or more provided the trailer is 10,001 lbs or more.

His truck & trailer does not have a GCWR of 26,001 lbs or more. Therefore, he is not required to have a CDL.

Even New York took care of this a few years ago and got inline with the Feds. Now just for California.

He won't be fine until he reads his owners manual and checks his truck's TT capacity. My gues is a max of 10,000 off the bumper. I'd be he is well in excess of his trucks TT capacity IF the trailer is a fully loaded 14K trailer. O/P says trailer isn't fully loaded, but the last PA State cop I talked to said it is illegal to pull a trailer beyond your TT capacity, even if it is empty.

Your state may say differently.

You don't need to necessarily "look for a 1-ton". You need to do your homework and look for a truck that is rated to pull 14K off the bumper. Most SRW 1-tons are not rated to pull 14K off the bumper, especially older ones. In fact, a lot of DRW 1-tons are not rated to pull 14K off the bumper. My SRW 1-ton is rated to pull 12K off the bumper and it's an '07 diesel.

My suggestion would be to investigate if your current truck could do a 14K 5th wheel and if so, switch to a 5th wheel trailer. That would be cheaper than swithcing trucks. If it won't then try a 5th wheel trailer and an older SRW 1-ton or dually if money is tight.

If money not a problem, buy a newer duallie and keep your trailer. Just make sure that dually can pull 14K off bumper. Many can't!

"In my state" the friendly inspectors at the local wiegh station are not concerned with GCWR. They say it isn't a legal rating since it isn't printed on the tag on the door jamb.

I would agree that a GN in this weight range is better than a BP

/ Towing 14K trailer #23  
No reason I know of why you legally couldn't have a trailer maker derate a trailer at the factory. Just would have to be done before it's titled. But then you would be stuck with that rating for the rest of the trailer's life. And going over that but still under what it normally would be rated for could be a problem if the guy with the scales showed up.
I know for a fact in the state of Ohio a trailer is only titled if it weighs more than 3999lbs. So the fab shops build around that for the most part even going as far as too weigh them with out ramps if they are close. Then you either tag it from homebuilt or they give you a certificate of origin.
A friend of mine has a business and pulls a 14K BP behind a 3/4t Dodge. He has been pulled over a couple of times by DOT and all they have looked at is how the load is secured and how he is hitched up. Nary a question about it that too much trailer for the truck.

/ Towing 14K trailer #24  
In order for him to tow on the hitch legally, he's going to need a 4500/F-450series truck. Both of which will put him into the 26K GCWR. Most 3500s are factory rated at 12K max on a bumper hitch. As for Commercial license, several states require it if the truck has a GVWR of over 10K. And DOT numbers. Florida says you must if you are greater than 18K and Intrastate. Once the DOT guy stops you for one thing, they have been known to check all the specs. Not having a truck rated for the hitch load will get the trailer out of service until someone shows up with a properly rated truck. As for the gooseneck or 5th wheel, you're right on him being able to do it with a properly geared 3500, but he'd have to see what the factory rated his current truck at and bet it wouldn't be.

Never heard that before. We aren't required to have a commercial license until 26,001 or more.

Don, you don't need a 450 to pull a 12K bumper pull trailer and I'm about the most conservative trailer towing guy out there. :rolleyes:

I pull a 12K trailer behind my 3500 SRW and have been pulled over several times. Everything complies. I even had my MVCE buddy check over my entire rig-asked him to find things wrong, he found nothing. I am not required to have a DOT # because all my business is carried on in the Commonwealth of PA.

A DOT # is no big deal and does not mean the driver is subjected to being required to have a CDL.

/ Towing 14K trailer #25  
In my state, farm pickups are liscened for 13 tons. I can have a combined weight of 13 tons with truck and trailer, if both the truck and trailer have farm plates. However, a trailer with a farm plate can only be pulled by a truck with farm plates unless I have the trailer double plated which would allow use by a nonfarm truck. No way is my truck rated by the manufacture for 13 tons of weight but that is how it is and legal.

/ Towing 14K trailer #26  
Which states other than CA?
Conneticut for one. Mass is another that says 10K+1 vehicle equals a commercial vehicle except for certain exemptions. Most of the new states are from Jan, 2009 rule changes due to Feds cracking down on states that have had many large vehicle accidents. Mass regs that define CMV.If your state defines it as a commercial vehicle and you use it for business purposes you can bet the blue light guy will expect to see a CDL. The Fed CDL laws are the minimum that the states are required to follow. They can go stricter on their drivers. Not sure but I think Montana may also have lower requirements for when a CDL is required.

/ Towing 14K trailer #27  
Conneticut for one. Mass is another that says 10K+1 vehicle equals a commercial vehicle except for certain exemptions. Most of the new states are from Jan, 2009 rule changes due to Feds cracking down on states that have had many large vehicle accidents. Mass regs that define CMV.If your state defines it as a commercial vehicle and you use it for business purposes you can bet the blue light guy will expect to see a CDL. The Fed CDL laws are the minimum that the states are required to follow. They can go stricter on their drivers. Not sure but I think Montana may also have lower requirements for when a CDL is required.

Don, did you even read your own link that you posted? It doesn't say anything about needing a CDL, it is about new inspection requirements.

Here is the book for Conneticut (Page 11/ section 1.1)

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/comdr.pdf

Here is the book for Mass ( Page 5/ Section 1)

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/cdlmanual/CDL_Manual_Part_1.pdf

Here is the book for Montana (page 2)

http://www.doj.mt.gov/driving/forms/25-0300.pdf

This will make it a little easier

CDL.jpg

I realize it says Maine but it is the same for most of us

Last edited:
   / Towing 14K trailer #28  
This is why when I ordered the trailer for my tractor and accessories, which is under 6000 lbs, I made sure it was rated for 9990lbs which eliminates all the over 10K issues.:)

/ Towing 14K trailer #29  
Don, did you even read your own link that you posted? It doesn't say anything about needing a CDL, it is about new inspection requirements.

Here is the book for Conneticut (Page 11/ section 1.1)

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/comdr.pdf

Here is the book for Mass ( Page 5/ Section 1)

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/cdlmanual/CDL_Manual_Part_1.pdf

Here is the book for Montana (page 2)

http://www.doj.mt.gov/driving/forms/25-0300.pdf

This will make it a little easier

CDL.jpg

I realize it says Maine but it is the same for most of us

We have the same chart in Michigan. There is also an exclusion section that states for personal use only a CDL is NOT REQUIRED!! One need to determine if the need is personal or bussiness then apply the proper section of law.

Of course anyone should follow proper tie down and load capacities.

/ Towing 14K trailer #30  
This is why when I ordered the trailer for my tractor and accessories, which is under 6000 lbs, I made sure it was rated for 9990lbs which eliminates all the over 10K issues.:)

Could you explain such issues?

IMO comments like this just continue to confuse people