Trac-Vac 854 PTO Powered Leaf Vacuum

/ Trac-Vac 854 PTO Powered Leaf Vacuum #31  
I was refering to the oil pump output volume in gallons per minute. I thought it would be marginal and I would have to support it with a pto driven pump. No problems though. Seems to be enough pressure to go around with the internal pump.

/ Trac-Vac 854 PTO Powered Leaf Vacuum #32  
Kenny;
Looking closely at your pictures it appears you have two drive shafts running off the angle gearbox. Is this for speeding up the impellor ? Two block bearings visible. Is it possible to get a shot of the drive shafts without the top shield ? This might be the answer to the rpm question I have. No sense in reinventing the wheel.
The three point arm question I was also looking at ... seems you resolved that pretty quickly. What did you use... 1/4" x 2" flat stock ?

/ Trac-Vac 854 PTO Powered Leaf Vacuum #33  
WOW..... Kenny, you did it again. I had a prelim sketch in my head about how I would attack the design with a pully system to gear it to the right speed. Never seen anything like that before. It would be nice if a guy could fab a light material holding assembly on the back eliminating the need for wheels on the trailer. Don't think the 4110 would have much weight on the front wheels at this point.

Kenny... If you get some time can you get some type of estimate on impeller speed ( one turn of the pto vs how many revolutions on the impeller. It's not a new idea but I like the idea of using the pto vs putting up with maintaining another power source.

I have the gearbox from another 60" JD mower. Do you think it would hold up ?

By the way, thanks again for the help on the loader. It really works well. I didn't think the on board oil pump would be able to work the rams effectively but it is more than adequate.
Joe a guy i worked for had a PECO system , the collection box was made of aluminum , it held about half of what the cart style systems , I had to empty it alot and it made a huge blind spot . The L185 kubota it was mounted on got a little lite in the front end when you went up hills. The gear box should hold up it though at rear PTO speed and you could come up with a better design for the collection box.

Last edited:
   / Trac-Vac 854 PTO Powered Leaf Vacuum
Kenny;
Looking closely at your pictures it appears you have two drive shafts running off the angle gearbox. Is this for speeding up the impellor ? Two block bearings visible. Is it possible to get a shot of the drive shafts without the top shield ? This might be the answer to the rpm question I have. No sense in reinventing the wheel.
The three point arm question I was also looking at ... seems you resolved that pretty quickly. What did you use... 1/4" x 2" flat stock ?

I will try one afternoon this week...

Yes, it was 1/4"x2" Flat.

/ Trac-Vac 854 PTO Powered Leaf Vacuum #35  
Thanks Kenny. I'll be looking forward to the secrets below the metal shield. Did you mention there was a parts breakdown for this blower ? I didn't see it when I did the search. It would be helpful also.

Kevin; I have an angle gearbox from a 60 " mmm collecting dust. Surplus center also has one, I believe it is 1 to 1.92 which would be what I should be using. ( $160.00 with shipping ) Maybe the proper impeller speed can be reached with a series of pulley combinations with the 1 to 1 box. Once it gets to speed I don't believe it would take much force to keep it turning in dry grass / leaves. I'm happy to find someone else has done the engineering for this project.

Kenny;

Here are some pictures Joe:

-The gearbox ratio is 1:2 (1 rev on the input side = 2 revs on the output)
-The Input vs Output ratio is about 1:7 (1 rev of the PTO shaft = about 7 revs of the shaft that drives the impeller.

You owe me dinner and a beer;)

EDIT-
On the main web page TRAC-VAC, select the "manual's" tab on the right, then select the model 854 to download it.

Attachments

• DSC08894 (Large).JPG
    DSC08894 (Large).JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 590
  • DSC08895 (Large).JPG
    DSC08895 (Large).JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC08896 (Large).JPG
    DSC08896 (Large).JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:
   / Trac-Vac 854 PTO Powered Leaf Vacuum #37  
Thanks for the inside view. At 3800 rpm that impeller must make quite a howling sound. I never dreamed they would turn it that fast. Looks like I will need a 2 to 1 gearbox to keep things in perportion, otherwise my pulleys will be too large.
I got the approximate sizes for the pulleys off the pictures. Now to get a formula that will tell me if I'm in range.
I really like this arrangement. I think it will make a super vacuum and I only have to listen to one motor.

One more detail Kenny. How does the tractor handle it hosrsepower wise ? Is it quite a strain when you flip the pto button ?

Also, I just found the parts break down. It only lists two pulleys and one belt. It lists the jack shafts and pillow bearings..... wonder why they left this information out ? ( Or is it there and I can't find it ? ) They are careful not to give any sizes. The custom mower attachment might be interesting if it isn't too pricey.

Thanks for the inside view. At 3800 rpm that impeller must make quite a howling sound. I never dreamed they would turn it that fast. Looks like I will need a 2 to 1 gearbox to keep things in perportion, otherwise my pulleys will be too large.
I got the approximate sizes for the pulleys off the pictures. Now to get a formula that will tell me if I'm in range.
I really like this arrangement. I think it will make a super vacuum and I only have to listen to one motor.

One more detail Kenny. How does the tractor handle it hosrsepower wise ? Is it quite a strain when you flip the pto button ?

The tractor handles it well, only bogged down once so far in thick wet leaves-but I was really trying to push it to see what it did.

I just knew you where going to mention pulley sizes...and that will be a steak dinner;)

Attachments

• DSC08897 (Large).JPG
    DSC08897 (Large).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC08898 (Large).JPG
    DSC08898 (Large).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC08899 (Large).JPG
    DSC08899 (Large).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC08900 (Large).JPG
    DSC08900 (Large).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 310
   / Trac-Vac 854 PTO Powered Leaf Vacuum #39  
Let the parts collecting begin. This is going to work slick. My back is feeling better and I can semi retire the rake. About the steak... I will send you a pm.

/ Trac-Vac 854 PTO Powered Leaf Vacuum #40