Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor?

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #11  
Personally, I wouldn't use a tractor for that clearing. I think you would not be able to move enough and the terrain would likely stop you from adequately using its strengths.

Remember, the idea and basic design of a tractor is towing. Whereas the design of a CTL is to grab and lift.

With those pictures, I would go CTL hands down. I don't think anything else would stand a chance.

I'm still not sure that a 7000# machine will be able to do what you want... but that is another story.

heh... and there you have it. 2 posts with the same basic information coming to completely different conclusions. heh... gotta love forums.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #12  
Call a logger, then Hire,/ Rent, Dozer and and excavator for stumps, At least a 20 ton with thumb & D6 or equal. Then a 50 HP or so tractor with skid and grapple to finish. A skid steer would work, if you plan to sell later.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #13  
"The equipment needs to be light enough to be transported on our boat from town to the property in the spring and then back to town again in the fall. Our weight limit is 7,000 pounds."

"Hiring out is not an option as our location is a remote Alaska island. The cost to transport equipment is close to the same cost to purchase the equipment. I have to stick to the 7,000 pound weight limit as that is as much as my boat can take."

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #14  
Given all of the constraints you've got, I don't think there is a single piece of equipment that can do it all. I'd go with the mini excavator with a hydraulic thumb for the initial clearing. Keep it at the property until you've got the 3 acres cleared then sell it and get yourself a tractor with loader or the CTL. I think with the weight limitation of 7,000 lbs you can get a heck of a lot of HP and loader lift capacity in a tractor. Deal with the beach access problem by rolling out something like tundra mats.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #15  
Given all of the constraints you've got, I don't think there is a single piece of equipment that can do it all. I'd go with the mini excavator with a hydraulic thumb for the initial clearing. Keep it at the property until you've got the 3 acres cleared then sell it and get yourself a tractor with loader or the CTL. I think with the weight limitation of 7,000 lbs you can get a heck of a lot of HP and loader lift capacity in a tractor. Deal with the beach access problem by rolling out something like tundra mats.
You're off the mark there. It doesn't take much tractor to reach 7,000 pounds once all attachments are are on. Unless there's a second piece of equipment involved moving the attachments separate would be a real challenge.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #16  
You're off the mark there. It doesn't take much tractor to reach 7,000 pounds once all attachments are are on. Unless there's a second piece of equipment involved moving the attachments separate would be a real challenge.

True enough, especially if you're considering a backhoe attachment. But a 35-40 hp tractor and loader can be had for around 5,000 lbs that will lift a ton easily enough. Won't need a backhoe if the digging is done beforehand with a mini-ex. If the only problem with a tractor is a sandy beach, there are probably ways to get around that without having to buy a CTL.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #17  
True enough, especially if you're considering a backhoe attachment. But a 35-40 hp tractor and loader can be had for around 5,000 lbs that will lift a ton easily enough. Won't need a backhoe if the digging is done beforehand with a mini-ex. If the only problem with a tractor is a sandy beach, there are probably ways to get around that without having to buy a CTL.

I don't think a 5000# 40hp tractor would have much luck pushing over those trees. And certainly, there are too many to cut then dig stumps with a backhoe. His best bet is to push the trees over intact, then pull them out intact or cut up into manageable pieces. He will be hating life trying to get those stumps out with a small tractor backhoe and if he's already cut down the trees, he won't have any options but to bring in either a large excavator or dozer to push them out. Both of which will be far and away TOO HEAVY for his boat.

Cutting ANY of those trees down would be a mistake, in my opinion, as far as 'clearing' the land goes. Sure, it can be done, and was done with an axe and mule team. But the reality is there are better... much better, ways in which to clear now.

To the OP. I would research whatever you are really looking at, and then find one in use, and see how well it can get one of your big trees out of the ground. Find a farmer, pay him $100 and have him try to push over a tree (on the mainland). That will tell you the likelihood of whether your purchase will do what you want it to do. I just don't think a CUT will be able to work those size of trees. At least as they appear to me in your photos.

Last edited:
   / Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #18  
Very difficult situation. First, I don't think any 7,000 lb piece of equipment is going to be bulldozing those trees. So they will have to be cut, one at a time. Then each tree will have to be limbed and bucked into small enough pieces that they can be removed. And you're clearing how much land - 5 acres? That's going to be one big pile of dead trees and undergrowth. How will you dispose of all that debris? And if your equipment - regardless of whether it has wheels or tracks - is going to be moving all the logs, limbs, etc., how many trips back and forth will it take before the ground becomes an impassable mud bog?

Here are some things to consider:
You may have to bring in fill material or use some kind of matting to keep from sinking your equipment.
Would processing trees in-place make more sense than lifting/dragging spoils across wet ground?
Can you set up drainage channels to help dry out the ground?
Any way you do this will involve lots of time and manual labor. Are you working alone or do you have help?
Once you've cut the trees, what will you do with the stumps? Removing them is another big project that will open up the ground and make more mud.

For the initial tree felling work, I'd think a tractor would be more useful for moving the spoils without tearing up the ground, but it all depends on whether there's enough flotation. A tracked skid steer would have better traction and flotation but would make more of a mess and once it's stuck, it's really stuck. When it's time to grub out the stumps, nothing beats a small excavator.

No matter what equipment you use or how you do this, it sounds like a very big job!

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #19  
A machine isn't going to clear that property. Manual labor is. Look forward to seeing progress. :)

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #20  
Do you not have access to a contracted (for hire) landing craft type boat? The kind used for the delivery of building materials. Does everything have to be transportable by your boat always?

Alaska Landing Craft Charter