Traction Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #21  
Something else to keep in mind,,,if you ever decide to sell or upgrade the resale value of the 4 wheel drive will be much better.

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #22  
Old Golfer,

Your profile says Ohio, I believe Ohis gets lots of snow. Go 4 wheel. Using the FEL and snow doesn't work too well unless you have lots of weights on the back of the tractor. I have to back up a hill on my driveway. Even with concrete because of the wieght of the loader alone will make me loose traction.

murph

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #23  
Having both a 2wd and 4wd I wil have to go 4wd. I lost traction last week on the 2wd trying to load a trailer. This was on a relatively flat area that had a light rain shower. My 2wd does have more horsepower, but doesn't accomplish half the work of the 4wd.

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive
All

Some really good points. I’m beginning to believe that more
tractor is not necessarily more horsepower. But on the other
hand if the 25% more horsepower 2 wheel unit equals FWD
and could save some money??? My main purpose for the
tractor is mowing at least four acres. The lot is in the greater
Cincinnati area. Usually snow is not a problem. It seams to
either go south or north of us, except for this year and then
the most we have gotten is like four inches at one time.
A back blade would be more than enough to clear a 300’ flat
driveway.

The home is going to be our retirement home so time to
perform tasks is not really a big factor, I can only play so
much golf. We are building the house a couple of years
ahead if schedule so money is a little tight unless I can cut
some cost. Yea right. I know I’ll be lucky to stay within the
budget now.

I was looking at a NH1720 2wd that’s what prompted this
question. I really wanted a loader but maybe I could forgo
it and keep looking for something with FWD. I do have access
to a Case TLB which I plan to use for installing the water line
to the house. That should be an experience. A newbie on a
TLB. Old well I’ll have 300’ to learn on before I hit anything
important. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dennis

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was looking at a NH1720 2wd ... but maybe I could forgo it and keep looking for something with FWD)</font>

Case in point regarding the resale of a 2WD vs 4WD!

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive
I personnally would not even consider a 2 wheel drive for my application....more pulling power,traction/no comparison,the 4 WD Rules..and going down a steep hill the 4WD holds me back,where as the 2 WD would go like a sled. Just my thoughts/experiences.

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #27  
Tonight, we finally got some snow, about an inch. Well I made the mistake of backing off the driveway. I can back all the way down and then come back up. Usually though the ditch is full of snow and would not be able to do that. So I just put the tractor in 4 wheel drive and the front wheels pull me out. I love the 4 wheel. Don't always use it but it is nice to have when you need it.

Murph

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #28  
can't think of an time when a 4 wd would not be better than 2 wd, no matter the hp. will grant that a lager hp trator will usually have more tracton than a smaller tractor but that is strictly due to mass and weight, take that same tractor and give it 4 wd and it will way out perform the 2 wd. guess what im trying to convey is GET 4WD. would i give up 4wd for more hp? nope!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #29  
Just another example:

I have a 4wd, L3710, (37HP), my neighbor has a 2wd MF, 65HP. He cannot pull loaded hay wagons up the hill behind his house to the barn, but my Kubota does the job without spinning a tire. It's a dirt road with a long steep section.

I've never been stuck where I couldn't wiggle my way out with 4wd and the loader, my neighbor routinely gets stuck.....

I'm sticking with 4wd.

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #30  
Old Golfer,

I didn't see this line of thinking posted so here goes.

Larger tires and more weight do not always equal greater traction. For example, on ice a thinner tire will give you better traction because you will have more pounds per square inch of contact with the ground.
A wider heavier tire will have more contact area and thus spread the weight out over a greater area, which could equal less traction. A thinner lighter tire will have a smaller contact patch thus more pounds per square inch of contact. This concept is more noticeable if you have turf tires.

In deep snow or mud and in sand you want to spread the weight out as much as possible. In mud, where you know the bottom is not far down you want to have a thin tire that will dig down to the hardpack for traction.

Four wheel drive is about more. More money, more things (mechanical parts) to break, more traction, more ability to use engine braking.

RE: What you said about only "golfing so much," Tsk Tsk. Your acreage can become your own little practice hole. Our five acres is a rectangle. About a par 3 w/ a house and garden hazard /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif in the middle -- that's the plan anyways, the wife has almost agreed.

I'm digressing, but a friend of mine got together w/ his neighbor across and down the street (in a rural neighborhood) and both built greens on their property and would practice hitting the 80 yards or so to the others green.

Clint