Traction Traction...lack of!

/ Traction...lack of! #11  
Eddie,
Turf tires have there pro and cons,and
I like turf tires for a couple of reasons.
1. Turfs tires do little damage on the lawn.
2.With a front loader I feel better balance.

When working in a wet area or plowing snow I wish at times I had other than turf tires/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif and thats why I use tire chains.

Thats my two cents worth./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Stay safe and/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Traction...lack of! #12  
Jim,
Did I read this right,you don't have a front loader?/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I hope you are planning to purchase one in the near future?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Stay safe and/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Traction...lack of! #13  
I have sure been thinking about checking into the price of turf tires. I really don't like the JD turfs, though. They look like my lawn tractor tires, just not enough tread in my opinion. We don't have enough snow to even worry about snow removal so I think they would work.

/ Traction...lack of! #14  
For an all around tire that will work well in a lot of different conditions I like the R-4s.BILLG

/ Traction...lack of! #15  
R4s would sure work if I can find them in the right size for a lawn tractor. I think the size is 20x10x8 or 20x10x10. I haven't quite figured tractor tire sizes out. THe 20 is overall height, 10 is width of tread, and the 8 is rim size, I think. On my JD the rear tires are 19.5x15 NHS which means the rim is 19.5 and the tread width is 15, I have no idea what NHS means. Does that sound right?

/ Traction...lack of!
Thomas,

Yes, I Do Not have a front end loader! I don't plan on getting one either, that's why I didn't wait to order a TC18 with power steering, I bought the one off the lot without power steering. I do get a lot of work out of a rear scoop though!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Traction...lack of! #17  
I knew there was some reason they sold bigger tractors. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Traction is the name of the game for an Ag tractor and the way you get it is with tractor weight and tires that are large diameter and have wide bar treads (lots of tire on the ground). Lawnmowers normally don't need much traction and that is why they make turf tires. Chains will help in your situation, but you can't expect to get the traction of an 8000# tractor that lays down nearly 3 foot of tread width on the rear tires and has front and rear differential locks.

Never heard of sand in tons, but 100 tons is about 60 yards or four dump trucks full. I had that much delivered last week end in just road base and 3/4 inch rock. I would guess 15 yards takes about 30 minutes to move and level. Sounds like you have about a 2 hour task on your hands.

How long did it take?

/ Traction...lack of! #18  
NHS - I was told it stood for Non Highway Service or something like that.

/ Traction...lack of! #19  
EddieW,I was at a Jd dealer here in bama a few weeks ago and they had 2 types of tread on their turfs..I forget what they called the beefy'er type though. They were larger in "nobby" size and had fairly deep tread,compared to what I would consider Turff tires(like others have said "not much more than u find on a lawn tractor"If I was goining to get turff thats the only type I would even consider...If can manage to get out that way I'll try to stop and take a snap shot of them...At least the type and name...

Lil' Paul

Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by PBurns on 8/8/00 11:21 PM.</FONT></P>

/ Traction...lack of! #20  
Those more aggressive turf's you want to take a picture of may well be called "Bar Turf". I see the local PGA golf course using them to pull the sand spreader. They provide a lot more traction than the standard turf without the damage of R1's or R4's. They are mounted on rims that look deep enough to be 50 gallon drums. Very wide foot print. Low psi per sq. in. of contact. Everything else runs the standard turf for lighter duty use.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)