Tractor backhoe digs up some pavement and blows a tire

/ Tractor backhoe digs up some pavement and blows a tire #1  

BaznastyDave

Tractor
Kioti CX2510
Small job here, I was asked to dig up some asphalt to find a busted waterline. They had it marked where the water was leaking.

Also had the valve stem blow out and spray me with Rim Guard.

fdhj.PNG

/ Tractor backhoe digs up some pavement and blows a tire #2  
Thats never good. And now I know why I always carry vice grips.

/ Tractor backhoe digs up some pavement and blows a tire
Crazy that the internals of the stem are just glued in, but it makes sense. Metal schrader valve and internals inside a rubber stem. Only way to combine them is with glue I guess.

/ Tractor backhoe digs up some pavement and blows a tire #4  
Crazy that the internals of the stem are just glued in, but it makes sense. Metal schrader valve and internals inside a rubber stem. Only way to combine them is with glue I guess.
Every Scrader valve I have ever seen has a core with a short outer thread which is screwed into the inner thread of the stem.

Every Scrader valve I have ever seen has a core with a short outer thread which is screwed into the inner thread of the stem.

Yeah, the valve was still inside the metal tube that blew out. The cap and the internals were still fine, just the metal tube that houses the valve blew out.

I cut small notches in the metal tube that blew out with a dremel and a thin wheel. It will act as a "barb" so it will not blow out as easily. I'm going to try cleaning everything with rubbing alcohol and glue the metal tube back in the rubber stem. Then I'll put a hose clamp over the rubber stem to help clamp it back in.

Worth a shot for an easy fix. I don't really want to take the wheel off, drain the Rim Guard, bust the bead off, and replace the stem. I'll try gluing it back in 1st.

/ Tractor backhoe digs up some pavement and blows a tire #7  
Looks like a defective valve stem. I have torn them in half a couple of time trying to pull them into the hole on the rim but have never seen the internal metal tube separate from the rubber like that.

Hope your quick glue fix will work for you but believe it is unlikely to last for long.

/ Tractor backhoe digs up some pavement and blows a tire #8  
When I use my BH I extend the outriggers to take all the weight off the rear tires, jacked off the ground. I also use the front bucket to lift the front end off the ground.

/ Tractor backhoe digs up some pavement and blows a tire #9  
Just shove a hose over the outside of the old stem rotate the tire so valve is on lower side direct the beet juice into a few 5 gallon buckets, when the flow slows down rotate the tire back up let it suck in some air and repeat. Then just break the bead next to the valve stem hole and install a proper liquid fill valve stem.
1707254761439.png

Just shove a hose over the outside of the old stem rotate the tire so valve is on lower side direct the beet juice into a few 5 gallon buckets, when the flow slows down rotate the tire back up let it suck in some air and repeat. Then just break the bead next to the valve stem hole and install a proper liquid fill valve stem.
View attachment 850796
Thanks for that part #