Tractor cab ... any helpful hints ?

/ Tractor cab ... any helpful hints ? #22  
Are making plans for your cab? Anywone know if sombody did something for JD 2320 2012year one cab?

/ Tractor cab ... any helpful hints ?
IMG_3771.jpgIMG_3767.JPG
Took some time today to build the cab sides. Once I get a plan in my head and find a measuring device the project gets underway. I added space behind the seat extending past the rear fenders. The windshield is going to be tipped out a bit. No special reason comes to mind but I thought it would gain some extra space and be different . I left the base of the rops in place to provide support for anchoring the cab. Once I have points figured out I will remove it and place the lights near the roof. The interior roof will be four inches lower inside to make space for the wiper and sound system. On the right lower side near the brake pedals may be a great location for the heater as I can box it in close to the loader mount, out of the way. Close water connection also. I bought four twenty foot sticks of one inch tube and it looks like I need two more. The door glass will be divided in two sections. Side glass may also get a divider. Will check with the glass provider to get his opinion. It would be nice if it stayed in one piece ( free of cracks from flex ). The frame is hard to see in the pictures but if you stare at it long enough the general outline should appear. Good eye test !

/ Tractor cab ... any helpful hints ? #24  
Agent Blue, It looks like you are off to a good start and making fast progress. I think tilting the windshield forward may help it stay clear so you use the wiper less. Looks like the ROPS makes a good support for the rear of the cab.
I wish I knew someone in the plastic extrusion business. I think a decent, somewhat inexpensive cab could be made using the type of plastic material like Rubbermaid uses to make thier roll around carts or industrial trash cans. If panels 1/4" thick could be formed in the general shape and then fastened together at the corners, then the builder could cut the fenders, windows and doors in any size and shape desired. It would also be light weight and easily installed and removed.

Ray;
Maybe we can get Suncast to design a storage building in the shape of a cab. Trimming plastic would certainly be easier than glass and steel. Course I would like the structure to be available in tractor colors. If there is a market someone will step forward. I don't believe they would replace the John Deere " super cabs " though.

BTW I am still researching the pet location. He will be awful disappointed not to have his own space. The 1100 RTV didn't leave the garage without his watchful eye. Possibly a narrow seat shifted to one side, or perhaps a pent house view from a shelf. The gears will turn till the last bolt is installed. Planning and contemplations take too much build time.

I am not sure if the tilt on the windshield will be positive or a hindrance. It may be one of those " don't do this " in the book of cab construction under design features. With a little roof overhang I may escape a few rain drops. I plan to drop inside roof height 4 to five inches, what ever I feel comfortable with, to enclose the wiper motor, radio, speakers and sound insulation. Yes, four speaker stereo while " working ". How does it get any better ??????

/ Tractor cab ... any helpful hints ? #26  
I am not sure if the tilt on the windshield will be positive or a hindrance. It may be one of those " don't do this " in the book of cab construction under design features. With a little roof overhang I may escape a few rain drops.
That is how the "Original Tractor Cab" cabs are setup.

Aaron Z

That is how the "Original Tractor Cab" cabs are setup.

Aaron Z

Not easy to tell from their pictures. It may exited a couple inches from the photos I viewed. The door frame is straight and their vinal covering extends passed the door frame / windshield edge. Mine is seven inches in less than three feet in height. The cab of a Deere hay bine is also quite angled. It may be prone to less dust / dirt collection. Engineers must have a reason or they would not waste the extra materials. I am not looking back " so to speak ". When I get the doors swinging and a top it would be nothing that a saw and welder couldn't change if needed. A telephone booth design has no appeal without some crooks / angles. Besides function there must be some form hidden in the structure. After a few beers this will be easier to pick out of the parking lot. Ha Ha Ha !

/ Tractor cab ... any helpful hints ? #28  
...................I think a decent, somewhat inexpensive cab could be made using the type of plastic material like Rubbermaid uses to make thier roll around carts or industrial trash cans.................................QUOTE]

The 1 Cubic Yard Rubbermaid trash carts we use at work are about half the size you'd need and we pay $1,000 or so each for them. You'd want to measure twice or thrice before cutting holes.

/ Tractor cab ... any helpful hints ? #29  
Not easy to tell from their pictures. It may exited a couple inches from the photos I viewed. The door frame is straight and their vinal covering extends passed the door frame / windshield edge
Sorry, I should have clarified that their glass windshield is angled forward. Not sure how the poly one is setup.

Aaron Z

...................I think a decent, somewhat inexpensive cab could be made using the type of plastic material like Rubbermaid uses to make thier roll around carts or industrial trash cans.................................QUOTE]

The 1 Cubic Yard Rubbermaid trash carts we use at work are about half the size you'd need and we pay $1,000 or so each for them. You'd want to measure twice or thrice before cutting holes.

I knew there was a draw back. Ray is just trying to get me in trouble for not seeing the possibility of a short cut. I have metal, I am a metal shaper, and I don't want to upset the current program. Back on the road to basics.