Tractor Sizing Tractor for ~ 100 acres

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres #21  
I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this yet, but for that many acres and that diversified of a task list, I think it would be a mistake to buy one tractor.

You mentioned baling hay, are you planning on pulling the rake with a 80-135 HP tractor??

I don't know the exact configuration that would be best, but I'd think something like a big grand l, or other brand equivalent (hst and enough weight to move bales, small enough to blow snow, etc not too much overkill for pulling a rake but big enough for some field work) AND something bigger for making round bales, pulling big implements, etc. Maybe a IH 1066, 1086, JD 4020, 4320, etc. I think you could get both of those for what a 135gx costs.

Again, I don't know the exact configuration that would be best, and there's plenty of combos that'd do the job, but with 2 tractors (or 3) you'll have more ttools at your disposal. Each will be better suited to different tasks, and you'll be really happy the first time you use one to get the other unstuck.

Personally, I'd never have less than 2 even for 20 acres, and I don't think I've ever been to a farm with only one tractor. You could probably get by with one, but you'll have to compromise quite a bit to make it versatile enough to do everything you want.

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres #22  
   / Tractor for ~ 100 acres #23  
What size implements do you plan to use on your hayfields? This will size your tractor. For example, a neighbor hay farms about 150 acres (oats, wheat, forage mix). For primary tillage he uses a 15-ft wide offset disc and pulls it with a Steiger Super Wildcat.

Steiger Super Wildcat-1.JPGSteiger Super Wildcat-2.JPGSteiger Super Wildcat-3.JPG

He uses a smaller IH tractor in the 70-80 hp range for secondary tillage with a tandem disc and spike harrow combination. For planting he uses a 70 hp Kubota. He mows with a self-propelled swather with a 12-ft wide head. He pulls his NH baler (3-twine, 100-120 lb bales) with the Kubota.

Farming is his 2nd shift/weekend job so he uses large equipment to get the job done quickly. He paid about $9K for that Steiger.

Good luck

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres #24  
Exactly, 9k for the steiger, probably 8-10 for the IH (if it's nice) and that leaves quite a bit for the 70 HP Kubota and implements. Another benefit to multiple tractors is that you don't need to buy them all at once.

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres
Which 70 HP Kubota is?
7040 isn with cab?

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres #26  
Which 70 HP Kubota is?
7040 isn with cab?

Don't know. I'll see if I can find out.
Forgot to mention that my neighbor clears his field with nice pre-owned NH self-propelled bale stacker (I don't know which model).

Probably in my case and speaking about just one tractor new Kubota M8560 with FEL, loaded tires, etc. will be the best choice.
It's not crazy big and should be OK for all around work but heavy enough to safely perform other tasks and do most of the field work perhaps with smaller implements.
I was trying to find good low hours used tractor for the past two weeks and it's almost impossible. I can't go across half of country just to check one and nothing really appealing available locally.
All your feedback guys is really valuable and giving me good ideas.
Thanks

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres #28  
We have an M8540 on our ~100 acre property, it replaced our Case CX80 and really like it, so an M8560 should work well. The ideal situation is two or three tractors, but $$$.

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres #29  
I have a L5740 and have fed a few round bales with it but I dont think it has the weight or traction to due much tillage work. Why not keep the little kubota for tasks it does well and get a large used cab tractor for the times the kubota isnt the right choice? Lots of large cabbed tractors all vendors on tractorhouse.
A mid 80's jd 4440 comes to mind

We have an M8540 on our ~100 acre property, it replaced our Case CX80 and really like it, so an M8560 should work well. The ideal situation is two or three tractors, but $$$.

That's right $$$ is always a consideration :)