Tractor Sizing Tractor for ~ 100 acres

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres
I have a L5740 and have fed a few round bales with it but I dont think it has the weight or traction to due much tillage work. Why not keep the little kubota for tasks it does well and get a large used cab tractor for the times the kubota isnt the right choice? Lots of large cabbed tractors all vendors on tractorhouse.
A mid 80's jd 4440 comes to mind

This the reason why I'm inclined to M8560. It's heavy enough (if necessary with an extra weight) to do some serious stuff and not to gigantic to clean snow and do some yard work (I know compromises :) :(
I like my L3800 and it's very nice and almost new but this winter it was brutal without cab and heat (I guess we all still remember what was the last winter in NA :)
US used marked obviously has more choices than Canada one but it's easier to have a local deal than fly half continent to just see a used machine. Plus extra delivery and border paperwork is another hassle.

I guess my choices are narrowed down to:

New M8560 (fender kit, cab, 12 speed, radio, AC, front/rear wiper, rear defrost + M36 self-leveling loader)
or
One year old still on warranty with just 86hrs
M9960 (cab, 12 speed, radio, AC, front/rear wiper, rear defrost + M46 self-leveling loader, 3rd function, soft drive and 2 sets of tires (AG cast centers & turf + weight))

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres #33  
If you want a bigger tractor, I suggest getting a John Deere 4230. We do almost all of the haying things with it except the 4020 has the bale sphere and pulls the transport wagon. It has good horsepower and most of the time great soundguard caps with A/C and all of that. The going average auction price is about $12,500 bucks. That is just my 2 cents.

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres #35  
I guess my choices are narrowed down to: New M8560 (fender kit, cab, 12 speed, radio, AC, front/rear wiper, rear defrost + M36 self-leveling loader) or One year old still on warranty with just 86hrs M9960 (cab, 12 speed, radio, AC, front/rear wiper, rear defrost + M46 self-leveling loader, 3rd function, soft drive and 2 sets of tires (AG cast centers & turf + weight))

From those two choices I would go with the 9960, more hp, bigger loader, 3rd function. What is soft drive? Do you want the turf tires?

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres #36  
I would go with the M9960 also. You'll never need the extra HP, but the third function is really nice as is a more powerful loader and extra tires/centers. We wanted cast centers, but couldn't wait six weeks for delivery. To get full benefit from the FEL, you really need some weight on the back, we filled our tires and put a box scraper with added weight on the back.

Last edited:
This particular M9960 is my preferable choice too.
I should get it to try next week.

Soft drive is one of the loader options:

Products: M Loaders Kubota Canada Ltd.

See M35 loader

" SoftDrive-

When it comes to your comfort, there may be no limits. You can稚 see it, but you notice it. Cleverly located inside the cross tube, the new SoftDrive reduces stress, both on the loader and subframe as well as the tractor and driver. Above all, however, you lose neither valuable loads nor your concentration when at work. SoftDrive`s location provides full protection and is out of sightlines to prevent impaired visibility."

/ Tractor for ~ 100 acres #38  
I think you will like the KSR, not a big problem without, but if we could have waited we would have had it added along with air ride and the easy hydraulic hose hookups.

Guy decide not to sell his M9960 now (maybe in a month:) so I'm back to square one :(

Since I can't get tractor which I was about to buy (one year old kubota M9960 w. FEL) because owner in the last moment decide to keep it I would appreciate your opinion with some possible options and they real value for the new one which most likely I'm going to get.

I went to another dealership looking for used one and they offered me more attractive prices for new machines than my previous quote. Either M8560 or M9960 (Price difference is ~ $6000).

Thread is here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...314617-some-tractors-options.html#post3800607