Tractor for 7 acres

/ Tractor for 7 acres #31  
Wow....what a riot.

I'm readin the thread and George straits "Ace in the Hole" starts playin in my head. Well, guess I know what I'll be singing for a few days..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sry for the comedic interlude fellas...I was reading really seriously then.... WHAM !

/ Tractor for 7 acres #32  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just think of all the guys that gambled on Kubota so you could safely buy one today as one of the Big Three. )</font>

It is a stretch at best to compare what Kubota went through in the past three decades in the US to what faces companies like Montana, Kioti, etc...

First of all I want to make it clear that I hope they all survive and do well. Having several choices and competition is good for the consumer.

In the 1970's when Kubota was really beginning to branch out in the US: there was no other significant market share player selling compact 4 wheel drive diesel tractors.

Now in 2005 there are companies with great reputations like Deere, NH, Kubota, etc... that have overwhelming market share. Not to mention, good quality, nationwide service net work, established dealers, full product lines, and stability.

The reason I don't think that it is fair to compare the "new" brands today with Kubota in the 1970's is that the "new" brands are coming into a market that is already saturated and has excess capacity. It is extremely difficult to gain market share and long term stability when price is the main tool used to do it.

When Kubota gained market share in the 1970's and 80's the competition didn't have a significant offering of compact 4WD diesels. They gained market share by innovation and differentiating them selves from the pack.

/ Tractor for 7 acres #33  
My last post aside......

The thing that seems to go without discussion (and that's probably a good thing) is the ecomonics aspect of it all. There is sooo much more to this and alot of the other things that get discussed, that are really tied to the economic descrepancies that exist in the world. Regardless of how hard you shake the tree, we (people of the world) have created this situation. From payscale, to cost of living to life style to geographical influences on each of these elements. EVERY business conducts business with the intent of being as profitable as they can be......period. What happened in the 70's cannot be compared to what happened in the 50's anymore than it can the 90's. The needs of the world have created a whole different standard and will continue do so. As a result of the ever changing standard the only thing that is constant is CHANGE!!!

Lord Knows I could go on about this but the vet says the horse is dead... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Respectfully submitted

/ Tractor for 7 acres
Was re-reading this thread and guess I missed this the first time. What tractor brands have been orphaned in the last five years? I know I've seen some chinese tractors that had a lot of different names that guys sold in their yards around here, but I don't know if they're orphans or if it's just a different name on the hood. I remember seeing a Scorpion/Millenium tractor dealer around here once, but they are now out of business - but again I don't know if it's just a dealer or the whole line of tractors. I'm looking for this so as I come across used tractors I might know what to avoid.

Not afraid of working on tractors - replaced transmissions, transfer cases, engines and various components both external and internal on engines/transmissions/axles - but I need to know I can get parts. Don't even have to have a local dealer as long as I can call/email and get parts UPSed to me - might even consider a crate tractor if savings is there. Won't be making a living farming 7 acres, so if tractor is down a few days waiting for part shipment - no big.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

/ Tractor for 7 acres #35  
Good point Gene, but don't discount the Boomer generation. As soon as they finish with their Harley's, they're gonna move to the country and buy tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tractor for 7 acres #36  
If price is your biggest objective, forget Kioti, Mahindra and such. Go directly to Rural King and buy a Tractor King. For the money, you will be hard pressed to find a heavy tractor with a Perkins diesel (well proven) for the money. You can buy them with or without a loader and with or without a cab. Besides, even though they may not have a service department like CNH, JD, or Kubota, they will likely have one to compare with the brands you are considering. And, they will cost much less! Go drive one of those.

/ Tractor for 7 acres #37  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm just real leary of the badge engineered machines. )</font>

Curious what this means ?
What is badge engineering?

/ Tractor for 7 acres
Price is not my biggest objective, but it is a concern - if it wasn't, I'd just buy on of each!

"even though they may not have a service department like CNH, JD, or Kubota, they will likely have one to compare with the brands you are considering"

I am open to any brand, including NH, JD or Kubota - sorry if I gave the impression that was not. I am still in the beginnings of a tractor search and thought this board could be of help - seems as though many people are very touchy about the different brands of tractors. Again, not looking to start a flaming brand war, but I plan to look at all the tractor dealers in my area, be they Big 3 brand or not.

I will see if I can find a Rural King nearby - I think there is one around Henderson or Owensboro but I've never been to it.

/ Tractor for 7 acres #39  
No, I'm serious. There is a nice one in Owensboro. They have some really nice looking, heavy cab tractors with A/C that can be had for the price of many other brand open air tractors. Henderson and Evansville also have a decent selection. Depending on the size tractor you want, you can very likely buy one of those and leave 10k in the bank when compared to most brands that are not even big 3 brands. I wasn't joking or trying to run down any of those brands. However, I would feel safer buying from a national chain than from a guy on the side of the highway who sells out of a yard barn. That much I wll say.

/ Tractor for 7 acres #40  
Yes, I agree things get touchy un necessarily.
Like peeps are loosing their money or dignity if you buy a certain brand.
People can be qick to jump over others opinions.
Think this is bad, try stating what oil you favor in th "oils" forum.