Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #151  
this may be a stupid question, I know there is off road diesel but is there off road gas

In some of the areas I am familiar with there is.:D:D

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #155  
Okey Dokey.

Say, this topic is about played out. Let's start up (again) about HST vs gear. Or is it time for 2wd vs 4wd? I forget where we are in the lively discussion rotation...

jb

Gear!

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #156  
Who the heck wears out a carb????

This is sort of a good question. I had a 1956 CJ3B a few years back. It ran but never that well, always rich. My uncle had it in the 70's, then my dad, then me about 1989. I had cleaned, soaked, kitted the carb way back in the 80's when I re-ringed it. About mid 80's Dad was using it at the beach house and wanted it running better. I converted it to 12v (left the 6v starter), so that helped the starting. He bought a new carb, whuch I found out later was an older rebuild. When I got the jeep I went through it again. I found a new manufactored carb from a jeep quy out on the west coast. Can't recall the name, wanna say Walbro but I think it was something else. Anyway, once I put it on the old F-head ran perfect. It'd idle all day, no more loading up. Cost was about $150 or so.

So what makes them wear out, if this one wore out. perhaps it was the wrong carb on this one. Carbs are not made from the strongest materials.

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #157  
Might have been oversized jets too.. I've opened thm up and seen where peple drille dout jets ot OS them.. etc..

soundguy

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #158  
Avgas and marina gas. Trouble is, you pay more, not less.

If you have a farm number, you can get a form from the state and get reimbursed for the road tax on gasoline in Indiana. But you better have that farm number up to date and all legal like or they'll nail your hide to the wall. :eek:

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #159  
So what makes them wear out, if this one wore out. perhaps it was the wrong carb on this one. Carbs are not made from the strongest materials.

Over at Farmallcub those guys did some intensive research on the little IH carb. many had rich issues. It was discovered there was about 4 different jets in a variety of carbs and most were too large and most of the rest were oversized through abuse or on purpose. They have since documented the correct specs for the carb.

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #160  
I definitely like diesels: can do most jobs with less hp than gas because of big torque of the diesel....[snip]
In a 3,000# car, for instance, a 100 hp diesel is great; whereas, you need about a 125-140 hp gas engine one for the same performance.

Ralph
The torque issue that causes a diesel to compete favorably with a gas engine of equal horse power is that there is more area under the torque curve. This means that the torque of a diesel engine is flatter, maintaining a high level over a broader rpm range. This, in turn, means that the diesel produces more hp than the gasoline engine at all parts of the rpm range except at the rated rpm of each engine. At that point only, does the gasoline engine produce the same HP as the diesel. This is a demonstration of tractability - the diesel HP is easier to use. It absolutely cannot do more than a gasser of same HP if the gas engine can be maintained at an appropriate rpm. This is almost impossible with a gear transmission, but becomes more likely when comparing the use of automatic transmissions on each, and can be identical with both transmitting their identical peak HP thru HSTs where "gearing" can be varied infinitely. A gasoline engine having greater horsepower will always outperform a lesser HP diesel if the transmission/operator combination is sensitive enuf to use the narrower range where the gas engine produces its peak --not very difficult with an HST.
As far as economy and durability: Due to its unrestricted breathing and very high compression the diesel has an efficiency advantage that further compliments the energypergallon superiority of the diesel oil. The fact that diesels are better lubricated because they are burning oil improves their endurance under hard work.
larry