Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #42  
IMHO.. that was a bit of an abusive use of a tractor.. wrenching out 4" trees. And yes.. the tractors of that erea... many were geared high.. especialy the fords.. that's why they were no good as rototiller machines.

besides.. you are compairing 2 different hp machines to boot, plus antique vs shiney new.... in this case.. a few hp and MANY decades can make a difference. Virtually worthless as a comparison.. like comparing an old desel ww2 sub to a nuke powered one of today...

soundguy

I had access to the homeowners Ford 8n for a few years before I purchased my first tractor (TC 30). The 8n ran great and it did a decent job. It wasn't the best rig for pulling small trees out of the ground or when pulling a rear blade full of gravel. I attempted to pull a 4" tree out of the ground and I had the tractor in low gear with all of the throttle and it stalled. I did the same thing with my TC 30 and it did the job without much effort. I know the gearing of the 8n had a lot to do with it, but the TC 30 seemed to have almost double the power (not comparing 2wd vs FWD).

Last edited:
   / Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #43  
you are comparing 2 different hp machines to boot, plus antique vs shiney new.... in this case.

Can this be interpreted as saying the newer tractor's may have some advantages???:confused::confused::confused:

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #44  
Can this be interpreted as saying the newer tractor's may have some advantages???:confused::confused::confused:

I was wondering when the peanut gallery would throw in a quip.

Answer.. NO.. ( it's really more of a wear issue, than age.. plus a size issue.. )

what my point was.. if you are looking for an apples to apples comparison.. you cannot compair a new 30hp machine to a 50 year used 27 hp machine. Just plain age and wear dictates that that 27hp machine ain't 27hp anymore.

Now.. fully restore that 27hp machine and stack them back up.. and it will still loose to the larger machine that has better gearing.

IE.. it's not an apples to apples comparison.. thus useless as a side by side...

soundguy

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #45  
From some of your prior postings Soundguy this looks terribly much like a flip-flop or is it flop-flip!:D:D

Or are you changing your stance?

Could you elucidate on "Peanut Gallery" please?? To the best of my knowledge I have never seen or been in one and am curious?:confused::confused:

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #46  
From some of your prior postings Soundguy this looks terribly much like a flip-flop or is it flop-flip!:D:D

Or are you changing your stance?

Could you elucidate on "Peanut Gallery" please?? To the best of my knowledge I have never seen or been in one and am curious?:confused::confused:

Not a flip flop.

It's difficult to make an apples to apples comparison of 2 machines that are geared differently and have different hp...

You can compair older and newer tractors on many levels.. but in this discussion of gas vs diesel.. to level the playing field and get accurate comparison.. it would be nice to use at least similar vintage, and similar geared machines.. heck.. the gearing is probably even more important in fuel economy / work than the exact vintage.. etc.

And when compairing work done.. hp comes into play as well as the gearing issue.

Peanut gallery.. oh yeah.. you're in it.... ;) as well are a few other posters here that I have to manually click 'view post' to read em...

soundguy

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #47  
Not a flip flop.

It's difficult to make an apples to apples comparison of 2 machines that are geared differently and have different hp...

You can compair older and newer tractors on many levels.. but in this discussion of gas vs diesel.. to level the playing field and get accurate comparison.. it would be nice to use at least similar vintage, and similar geared machines.. heck.. the gearing is probably even more important in fuel economy / work than the exact vintage.. etc.

And when compairing work done.. hp comes into play as well as the gearing issue.

Peanut gallery.. oh yeah.. you're in it.... ;) as well are a few other posters here that I have to manually click 'view post' to read em...

soundguy

I agree, you can compare to a certain extent. Comparing a travtor with creepers to one with out is not really fair, is it? But at what point do you stop? Is it fair to compare a newer to older? Will they last? MF 35/DX line, Fords and others of the same vintage that are still working today, will the newer versions of these last as long? I really hope our MF 1523 will be around in 30 years, as I guarantee our 35 will be.

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #48  
Some things you can compair.. some things you can't

For instance.. that 8n wouldn't rip out that 4" tree where the tc 30 did.. however.. will that tc 30 be hear in 50-60 ys.. I have my doubts.

Older stuff was more palin.. but made heavier and better.. IMHO.. yes.. there are performance and bells/whistles trade offs.. besides.. some engine technology advances to boot.

In the end.. i expect the more robust designs to last.. not the ones tweaked to make max power with undersized (designed lifespan)aluminum parts that were spec'ed by the lowest bidder.

soundguy

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #49  
In God we trust, all others must show data. :) If a large manufacturer of diesel engines (JD for example) says there is no more than a one percent change between high and low sulfur fuels, then I'd like more than just anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I wish we had the technical data from JD but I'm prepared to believe their engineers over some informal comments from drivers.

Not to stir the pot (too much), but just because the quoted source is a large national company does not mean that it is an accurate statement.

Take for example the AIG CEO this Spring who insisted the company was in solid financial standing (as he was cashing his $5million bonus check)? :rolleyes:

Coming from the medical side, I would submit that statements made by a company with a vested interest are advertising and promotion, not research.

Jay

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #50  
In God we trust, all others must show data. :) If a large manufacturer of diesel engines (JD for example) says there is no more than a one percent change between high and low sulfur fuels, then I'd like more than just anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I wish we had the technical data from JD but I'm prepared to believe their engineers over some informal comments from drivers.

Well, I don't know what more to tell you then. I'm telling it from real life experience. The problem with "data" is sometimes it is slanted towards whoever is publishing it. And just remember those engineers you mentioned work for a company or corporation, not for you.
I try to keep current on this fuel issue & I read up on it. But when the "facts" that are presented are contrary to my experience, I trust my experience.