Tractor Recomends

/ Tractor Recomends #31  
Hey Natural, look at Kubotas if the boss thought the Kioti was too heavy. They're about the lightest for the HP of any I know and pretty tough and rugged tractors. Rumor has it that Kioti's were designed by a Kubota guy who defected to Korea. They are quite a bit alike, even down to the colors.

/ Tractor Recomends #32  
CT,

Your comment about the Kioti loader intrigues me as I have had similar thoughts. Not sure why it is the case but the KL120 loader on the Kioti CK20 seems to be best in class for anything near a 20hp tractor with a lift capacity of almost 1100lbs at full height (at pivot). In fact, it is just a tad less than the capacity of it's larger sibling the KL130 on the CK30. It is substantially higher capacity than the Kubota BX series loaders despite the BX23/24 having more horsepower and is also better than the equivalent 20hp Kubota LA302 (7510). It doesn't seem to be related to hydraulic pump output as that doesn't correlate. I guess it is simply the mechanical advantage of the design but that confuses me as I don't know why the other companies would not optomize their design for increased capacity either. One consideration, and here your point about how heavy the Kiotis are is relevant, is that the lighter tractors (BX, 7510 etc) limit the lift capacity of their loaders due to concerns about tipping forward with a heavy load. However, even Kioti recomments ballast on the tractor rear when using the loader.

The other point about these loaders that I find confusing is that there is not a particularly good correlation between lift capacity and breakout capacity. I presume this is due to mechanical design and leverage. Again using the KL120 as an example, it has lift of 1074 and breakout of 1511 at pivot. The K130 has lift of 1155 and breakout of 2046. The JD 200CX has lift of only 800 but breakout of 2137! The Kubota LA302 has lift of 770 and breakout of 1120. All numbers are at pivot pin and from the respective manufactures websites.

Most people seem to focus on the lift capacity but in the type of work I am doing (clearing land) it seems the breakout figure is the most relevant. Love to pop those small trees out without bothering to cut them down first! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Tractor Recomends #33  
Hey Jamie, I love your little guy - mind if I borrow him?
24.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tractor Recomends #34  
Ed -

Great post, very interesting stuff! In addition to concerns about tipping the tractor, I think loader capacity has a lot to do with the beefiness of the front axle. I can't swear to it, but I think maybe the bottom three Grand L's might not have quite as strong front axles as the bigger three? Not sure why else you can only get an 853 on the bigger ones. The actual weights of the tractors aren't all that much different; 3,305 lbs. for the 3130, and 3,515 lbs. for the 4330 and 4630. (The 5030 weighs 3,745 lbs. - it's part tractor, part moose). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, lots of food for thought here - I'm going to look at Kiotis more closely, they deserve it. I love things that are built strong, I think that's part of the reason Mahindra is coming on so strong. I'd love to see Kubota return to their LXX50 series roots with a new line of tank-like CUT's. I've already told them what to do in a previous post, but they haven't contacted me yet for details. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's a recap, from the thread "One less Ignorant dealer" (I didn't start the thread, btw):

<font color="blue">This thread
NEW L4330 POWER QUESTION might get them thinking about a completely new line of tractors that I've always wished they would make. The first models would have engines in the 54-75 HP range, hydro option, stronger loaders like the ones on the "M"'s, stronger 3ph lift, available ag radials, and locking front differential like the larger "M" s (anyone else besides me want a 4WD tractor instead of a 3WD?). And before someone says "why not just offer hydro on the M's", these tractors would be articulated, just like the tractor of my dreams, the Holder 872H, and the Power-tracs, which have taken more than one previous Kubota owner out of the orange "fold". The Holders are very, very expensive, but I bet Kubota could make a similar machine for a lot less. Build it, and I bet they will come. Are you listening Kubota? I bought my 5030 because it was the biggest Kubota I could get with hydro. It fills most of my needs, but my next machine will be bigger, and have as many of the features I just described as possible. I'd love it to be a Kubota, but it's looking like it would be a Holder. </font>

That would be quite a tractor, and I am a little mystified that Kubota isn't all over the idea of building an articulated CUT - the advantages are too obvious to ignore. They already have the technology from the "R" loaders - come on Kubota, are you listening? Is this thing on?? (tap-tap-tap)

Oh well .... that's OK, I'll just buy a Holder... Kubotas suck anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

John

/ Tractor Recomends #35  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hey Jamie, I love your little guy - mind if I borrow him?
24.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

No problem, enjoy.
J

/ Tractor Recomends
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( natural -

I recently learned a very valuable lesson about not being too quick to judge any tractor make or model, or particular tractor, based on one, or even two, or even three "little" problems. Or even ones that seem "big" at the time but have a reasonable explanation and are easily fixed (especially ones that occur under warranty). )</font>

Has nothing to do with the fact it did not start. That is minor and an easy one to overlook. It was the weight that concerned us. And remember our primary purpose was mowing. We can always add weight if we do take it in the woods.

Nate

/ Tractor Recomends
Still looking, did a test drive on a DX45 and liked it as well as the KIoti CK30 for comfort level.

However, digging deeper in the specs I find a major difference in weight in different tractors. The Kioti, Mahindra, Century all seem to out weigh John Deere, Kubota and Case. If all are tyring to compete with each other why is there such a difference in weight?

Not going to make much difference at this point it looks like we might be keeping the Case DX45

Nate

/ Tractor Recomends #38  
heavyweights and lightweights

light for mowing and concerns of "tearing up" the ground

heavy for little concerns or ground condition when done with the job