Tractor shed finished (finally)

/ Tractor shed finished (finally)
Super job. Im starting a 24x24 myself. Hope it comes out as good as yours. What are the roof dimensions. Front and back height?

Front height is 10 ft, rear height is 9 ft, bldg footprint is 20x28 ft. Roof slant angle is only 2.9 deg so the roof dimensions are essentially the same as the bldg footprint. The roof is covered with 29 ga R-panel, white. I used ten 3x10 ft panels for the 1st course and overlapped with 3x11 ft panels for the 2nd course. Purlins are 2x4s on 24-inch centers. Girts are the same as the purlins. Eleven posts 4x6 pressure treated held in place by Simpson post bases impedded in concrete with 1/2 x 5" hot dipped galvanized bolts and nuts..

Nice! I just finished a 14 x 40 lean-to on the side of my container and it's full already. I really like your shed and your price is very good. I don't think you could hire it done for less than double what it cost you to build.

The cheapest all-metal equivalent I could find was $5500 for material delivered to the jobsite. I'd do the construction.

All-metal is nice because it eliminates the two interior posts so you end up with an unobstructed 20x28 ft space.

However, in Tehama County that type of shed has to be engineered, meaning construction drawings wet-signed by a licensed engineer. The vendor for that $5500 shed could not provide drawings that the building dept would except so if I want that type of shed I would have to hire an engineer to provide the drawings for the building permit. Expensive and a hassle.

By using a simple pole frame shed design I could get an ag exempt building permit for about $150 with no drawings required. The catch is that I'm limited to a building 600 square feet or less since my property is only 10 acres (actually 9.91 acres on the county zoning map). If I had 10.1 acres or more I could construct a building up to 12,000 sq ft in size on an ag exempt permit.

Next Spring I'll build an identical shed next to this one on another ag exempt permit. The only new requirement is separation distance of 8 ft or more from the existing structure. That should give me enough shed space to accommodate my Mahindra 5525 tractor, MF-124 baler, MM P3-6 grain drill, JD 350 side deliver hay rake and the Allis Chalmers 80t sicklebar mower.

That will leave the MF-135 diesel and the Farmall Super A unshedded. Hmm, looks like I better find a spot for a third shed.

/ Tractor shed finished (finally) #13  
   / Tractor shed finished (finally) #14  
Flusher, this looks just like what I'd like to build. would you do anything different if you had it to do over again?

I see your post front to back are 10' centers. What size are the rafters?
With a a half twelve pitch, are you concerned about leaks?

Why did you paint the inside?

Thanks in advance..

Flusher, this looks just like what I'd like to build. would you do anything different if you had it to do over again?

I see your post front to back are 10' centers. What size are the rafters?
With a a half twelve pitch, are you concerned about leaks?

Why did you paint the inside?

Thanks in advance..

I'd probably do something to eliminate the two center posts. Maybe a 28" long glulam beam or some type of metal joist girder in place of the 4x12 beams that I used.
Rafters are 2x8.
No roof leaks. However, I should have used a few more inches of overhang on the roof panels to keep the driven rain from entering the long closed side of the shed.
I painted all the frame members prior to assembly-gives some extra protection and looks better to me than bare lumber. I don't like standing on a ladder with a paint brush in my hand so a did the painting on the bench and then built the frame.