tractor won't start

/ tractor won't start #1  

jdfour

Tractor
kubota BX24
Started my tractor yesterday, and it seemed like the battery was low. Started hard, but after holding glow plugs for 4-5 seconds finally started. Ran the tractor for a couple hours cutting and hauling cordwood. Everything was good, and I was hoping this would re-charge the battery. Shut it down for about an hour and when I tried to restart it, Nothing. Left it overnight and tried again this morning, and again, nothing. I get a rapid clicking, but it won't turn over. Figuring the battery was not much good, I tried jump starting with my truck. No luck, same clicking. Sprayed the seat switches with silicone to see if that would help, but still nothing. There was a metallic noise shortly after trying to start, reminded me of a solenoid type of noise. Any suggestions on what be wrong? I am thinking maybe bad starter. I don't want to guess because I am retired and working on a limited budget.
I noticed that the fan belt seemed loose, and that may be why the battery is low, but why nothing when I try to jump start?
Dan

/ tractor won't start #2  
Your battery could of s*** the bed or the cables and ground are not making a good contact. Is the jump battery low? The part stores can load test your battery

/ tractor won't start #3  
Your battery could of s*** the bed or the cables and ground are not making a good contact. Is the jump battery low? The part stores can load test your battery

Disconnect and clean both of your battery cable ends, and battery posts.
Disconnect and clean the battery ground cable end, and the mounting surface, where the cable is attached to the tractor frame.
Check the water level in your battery, if it is not a sealed battery.
Use a 120V- 12V external battery charger on the battery overnight.

/ tractor won't start
I was in some muddy areas, so connections could be mucked up. I will try cleaning all connections. The jump battery is new this year on my truck. You usually get a little spark/snap when connecting the jumper cables, but I noticed nothing when I hooked them up. I did a search on "bx24 not starting", and got a lot of info on checking all the switches. I have a multi-meter, but not sure what to set the DCV on. (10v, 50v, etc) (don't know much about electrical stuff. Would a low battery not turn over the starter?
Thanks for your reply.

/ tractor won't start
Will try cleaning connections. Water level was topped off with distilled water before putting in tractor about 6 weeks ago. I had it on a trickle charger over the winter, and it came up with a red light indicating bad charge. battery is 4-5 years old. My son has my charger, so I am out of luck there. Would a low battery not turn over the starter?
Thanks for your reply.

/ tractor won't start #6  
There is no doubt a low battery would have trouble turning over a starter. Four to Five years is generally the life span of a battery though some of the better after market batteries may get more. You can take it to a battery shop for a load test but it sounds like it's due for replacement.

/ tractor won't start #7  
The rapid clicking was the solenoid. The starter has a large current draw, so a weak battery can definitely show the symptoms you had [OP] even if the solenoid is clicking [doesn't take much charge for that]. Now, why the jump battery didn't work, I don't know. But the advice to clean everything up is what I'd do first. Get everything cleaned, secured, get the old battery checked [or simply buy a new one of proper rating].

/ tractor won't start #8  
If it was no better when jumping with the truck battery, check the cables. Are they loose or corroded on the other end? Is the cable and end piece tight with no corrosion?

/ tractor won't start #9  
If it was no better when jumping with the truck battery, check the cables. Are they loose or corroded on the other end? Is the cable and end piece tight with no corrosion?

At this point: I think buy a new battery is the answer!

/ tractor won't start
Went to dealer to buy new battery. Also bought a new belt. In looking for the fuses, I noticed that the belt was WAY TOO LOOSE!! The battery probably went south from not being charged. I am going to put the new battery in this morning, and get it into the garage to put the new belt on. There are way to many black flies to be working outside on this. :)
Thank you for all your thoughts on this. I will let you all know how things work out, (or don't). I am still convinced it was the battery. Although I don't understand why it didn't jump from the truck. Maybe these newer trucks with computers require a different way to jump? I went form post to post. Maybe too much rust on the clamps?
Dan