Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650

/ Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650
I have seen those link pages but they do not give any information on custom made weld-on butt hitches but if I assume it doesn't increase capacity then it rules out everything below a F650 in size. As far as the F650 nothing is listed as far as the capacity for coventional towing. It say contact your local dealers and all they say is I am ok with my current 21K pintle trailer pulled by my F650. My current F650 has hydraulic brakes and an air suspension rear end. It is rated at 26,000 gvwr, weighs around 12K with a combined pulling capacity of 40K. The best that I could gather from various sources is that I can pull a pintle hitch up to the capacity of the truck rating which is my case would be 26K. As far as the pintle hitch trailer at 21K I can at times come close to it being fully loaded and even then the F650 pulls it easily. I agree converting to a gooseneck would be the best option but so far haven't found anyone able to do the conversion. I plan on calling some metal fabrication shops this week but if you know of someone even in UP that would be great. If that could happen then a modern F350 - F550 would work for me.

/ Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #13  
If you don't go with a gooseneck....
To increase your tongue weight you will want the hitch just behind the rear spring hangers. (That is not possible with a standard pickup bed.)

Btw....all the diesel pickups will pull the weight. The problem is stopping.
If you step up to the 650 or 750 get the air brakes.

And another thing, everyone on this site seems to be of above average intelligence so go get your CDL and check it off your list. It is not that big a deal.(this is a general statement not directed at OP)

Last edited:
   / Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #14  
I have a older f450 and it will handle a 10ton pintle ok if the trailer is loader properly most of the time I have a 14K trailer behind it loaded at 14K or a little more its plated for 16k on the trailer and 16k on truck, and a little dirt or sand on the dump. My truck has 10' frame which helps balance it.

With the pintle its on a 3/4plate welded to the frame. If I were doing 21K daily go with 5500 dodge if was wanting 4wd or a f650 for a little more truck and you can get air brakes. My uncle has a single axle old mack that we pull a 25ton trailer with but its slow.

Attachments

• IMAGE_578.jpg
    IMAGE_578.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 1,118
  • IMAGE_586.jpg
    IMAGE_586.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 1,025
   / Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #15  
I have a older f450 and it will handle a 10ton pintle ok if the trailer is loader properly most of the time I have a 14K trailer behind it loaded at 14K or a little more its plated for 16k on the trailer and 16k on truck, and a little dirt or sand on the dump. My truck has 10' frame which helps balance it.

With the pintle its on a 3/4plate welded to the frame. If I were doing 21K daily go with 5500 dodge if was wanting 4wd or a f650 for a little more truck and you can get air brakes. My uncle has a single axle old mack that we pull a 25ton trailer with but its slow.

Perfect example of a hitch just behind rear spring hanger. And, as you said, the longer frame help the front end stay down. Nice rig...

I did find someone willing to do a conversion but decided that would not be a wise option. The issue is the DOT looks at any modification from a tag along to gooseneck as changing the manufacturers design. The manufacturer would have to sign off on it and even if the DOT approved it I still have to deal with the insurance company and if anything happens I might as well change my name --- just not worth it! So at the end if I really want to go with a smaller truck than the F650 living with the 17,500 lbs for the tag along is not the best but it will cover me most of the time. I guess my F650 will live on for a few more years (see attached)

Attachments

• Special 038.jpg
    Special 038.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 2,647
   / Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #17  
I did find someone willing to do a conversion but decided that would not be a wise option. The issue is the DOT looks at any modification from a tag along to gooseneck as changing the manufacturers design. The manufacturer would have to sign off on it and even if the DOT approved it I still have to deal with the insurance company and if anything happens I might as well change my name --- just not worth it! So at the end if I really want to go with a smaller truck than the F650 living with the 17,500 lbs for the tag along is not the best but it will cover me most of the time. I guess my F650 will live on for a few more years (see attached)

Getting a conversion done isn't nearly that big of deal. I think you are way over thinking that part.

Thanks Duffster. I gave it another look and called DOT and it is not that problematic. I also received a reference of another company that is very experienced in doing conversions to goosenecks so we will see if it pans out.

/ Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #19  
Nice set up.
I would think with that trailer you could move to a dodge 5500 or F550 and still safely tow in 25K range at least in my neck of the woods, but in the mountains not so much.

I had f350 and this trailer set up for several years and always did fine trailer and load were in the 18/22K range. And it is legal as I was plated for 32k total load. And went through several roadside DOT stops over the years with no issues.

Please remember around here large grade is the on ramp on the interstate.

Attachments

• img041.jpg
    img041.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 825
  • trencher.jpg
    trencher.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 826
I got two quotes now for the conversion to a gooseneck from my current tag along trailer. Both companies actually manufacturer or modify heavy truck trailers for both the farm & construction industry. It's good to have someone with a long history of doing this right. I am going to go forward with the modification in the next month or so. The trailer will keep the same capacity rating I have it titled under (20K) today but now I can go to a smaller 4 X 4 truck to pull it. The F350 with a single cab/diesel 6.7, dually with the 3.73 slip axles can pull 22,200 lbs with a gooseneck setup.. My other larger trailer shown above is a gooseneck rated at 22K.