Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #11  
If you have a local trailer supply take one of the hubs to them and see what they have. You might be able to find a backing plate with electric brakes etc for just a few dollars.

Good luck.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #12  
I know this post is old, but my 2 cents worth:

I have towed a lot of heavy loads on the 14.5 tires and never had a problem. I have 5 on 5.5" disc type wheels, not the open center wheels.

Twenty years and only one flat from running over a bolt. The replacements are not easy to find, but they are available for $100 or less for a 10 ply tire. My tires are stamped "For Mobile Home Use Only" but no one in the CHP/DOT could find a reason to DQ them for road use. The Axles are Dexter, beefy as ****, and rated at 5k pounds max. each. They are not illegal in Sunny CA. and not dangerous.

I can sub Ford 15 inch diameter 5 on 5.5" wheels for the 14.5's, but I'd need to buy equivalent tires to keep the GVWR. If you dont like the hubs, measure the spindle and see if you can find another hub with the bolt pattern/wheel you prefer. Otherwise drop about $400 for 2 new axles and $150 each for new wheels with tires.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #13  
I have towed a lot of heavy loads on the 14.5 tires and never had a problem. I have 5 on 5.5" disc type wheels, not the open center wheels.

Have any idea where to find those rims in the right width? I can see where that would be ideal.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #14  
I built a homemade trailer about 15 years ago using two 6K mobile home axles. When I completed it I had to apply to DMV in Albany then take it to the local DMV for them to inspect and apply a VIN sticker. DMV issued me a transferable registration (not a title) The only thing they told me was I could not use tires that say "for mobile home use only" on the sidewall so I had to change them.

Recently registered another trailer as a homemade but went to a different DMV office. They issued the VIN and registration on the spot and DMV in Albany mailed me a state issued title for the homemade trailer. I had to stamp my VIN into the frame in two places.

Don't know if the laws on homemade trailers changed or if its just the DMV office I went to.

I also just bought new wheels and radial tires for another trailer from Etrailer.com and the wheels are stamped for trailer use as are the tire sidewalls. Check with Etrailer for the parts you need.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #15  
I build my own trailers. And ive used mobile home axles quite often. They hold up to anything i throw at them. Problem is i want to use the same tires i have on my F 150 so i dont have to carry a half a dozen different spare tires. If i take a front hub off a ford F150. I want to be able to get bearings that will adapt to the spindle on the axle and the LT hub. Is that possible or is the spindle length to long. I know you can buy cheap axles but you get what you pay for CHEAP AXLES. Thats why i want to build my own

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #16  
Mobile home axles and tires are designed to be CHEAP throw away limited use items. The spindles are not made for long term use per the manufacturer. A trailer equiped with axles or tires marked for "mobile home use only" if involved in an accident makes lawyers rich.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #17  
One thing that is often forgotten with the MH axle discussion is that years ago "MH" style axles were built solid and also used extensively for construction equipment trailers. My FIL had one and they were tough axles with heavy duty tires. Somewhere in time the MH axles were re-engineered to a much lower level, built with cheap materials and became "One use only" (probably because it became too expensive to ship them back to the factory for another trailer so why make them good) and construction trailers went to conventional wheels, tires and axles. Old MH axles are pretty stout, new ones not so much and many states passed "no MH axle" laws based on the new axles.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #18  
Can't use them in Canada, probably for the reasons listed above.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #19  
I will not touch MH axles in my trailer business. They are just not well made and usually the tires are not rated for trailer use, just MH one time use. I refuse to work on them or tow them.

Chris

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #20  
I have a 16' double axle trailer with MH axles that is 40+ years old. Other than breaking off a couple of the lug nuts i havent had one problem. It was my daddys trailer and was used to haul pulpwood in the 70s. Then we turned it into a tool and welding trailer. It sat unused for several years and i pulled it out of the bushes and replaced a couple of tires and welded sides and a rear and side ramps/gates on it. I dont know about the new MH axles but these have taken more abuse than any ive ever seen.
There was a guy on Ebay selling hub conversions to 5-5.5 for 45.00 per wheel. Dont know if hes still on there but he was last year.