Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #31  
I have a major MH axel refurbisher close to me. They collect MH axles and send them back to MH manufacturers. At least 500 per week. Never have been there and not seen a 18 wheeler load pulling out. So if they are one time use how does this guy employ 15 people or so collecting them and sending them back to be used again. He has new MH tires with new rims G load with DOT highway use stamped on them for 50.00 bucks per tire. One time used are 45.00. I have used them for 20 plus years and never had a problem. I believe the whole thing is set up to keep trailer builders aweigh from MH axles.
Scott

Might be but being in the trailer repair business we have 3 rules. NO DAYTON style hubs, no Mobile Home Axles, and no Bias tires. If it fits into any three of those categories I pass on the work and will not tow the trailer. Not worth the hassle or liability.

Chris

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #32  
You said yourself they are being used once and sent for refurbishing. That sounds like one time use to me. Pretty hard to use a nice flatbed trailer if you have to send the axles in for rebuild after each use.

I have a major MH axel refurbisher close to me. They collect MH axles and send them back to MH manufacturers. At least 500 per week. Never have been there and not seen a 18 wheeler load pulling out. So if they are one time use how does this guy employ 15 people or so collecting them and sending them back to be used again. He has new MH tires with new rims G load with DOT highway use stamped on them for 50.00 bucks per tire. One time used are 45.00. I have used them for 20 plus years and never had a problem. I believe the whole thing is set up to keep trailer builders aweigh from MH axles.
Scott

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #33  
"The theory that mobile home axles are a one time use axle is a total farse."

I think it's kind of amusing that this discussion/debate is still going on, given the published information from MH axle manufacturers themselves. We have a large fleet of conventional trailers with quality trailer axles, as well as quite a few of these mobile office trailers in a variety of sizes....with single, tandem, and triple axles. The mobile offices are never overloaded or improperly loaded, (unlike the rest of the trailers in the rental fleet), and they accumulate a tiny fraction of the miles the rest of the fleet does.

And yet, with far less improper use, abuse, and miles accumulated....they experience far more tire/bearing/brake/spring issues. Yup, they have tags on the axle tubes that say 5000 or 6000# capacity, but those numbers are not in any way, shape, or form a "conservative" rating.

I have used MH axles myself a few times, but I've done so with my eyes wide open. When considering them as an alternative, a person needs to sit down and make a "pros and cons" list. One of the only things that will accurately end up in the "pros" column is *cheap and readily available*.

product-3.jpg

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #34  
To each their own. Anyone who thinks that a company like Dexter is going to say anything other than "don't use them" is foolish. For Dexter each MH axle used is a potential loss of a sale of a new axle. Plus by saying don't use them they are not going to be held liable for someone's homemade disaster. As for them being weak, I doubt it since they are loaded to their max limit when connected to a MH. They must be able to be transported from the MFG to the dealer and then from the dealer to the home site.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #35  
For Dexter each MH axle used is a potential loss of a sale of a new axle.

Yep, that's why they say it....so they can manufacture and sell more of the MH axles.

Plus by saying don't use them they are not going to be held liable for someone's homemade disaster.

And yet, strangely enough....they don't say the same thing about their other lines of axles....which could just as easily wind up under "someone's homemade disaster".

As for them being weak, I doubt it since they are loaded to their max limit when connected to a MH. They must be able to be transported from the MFG to the dealer and then from the dealer to the home site.

Yes, they are able to handle their rated capacity....for a limited time. Hence the manufacturer's disclaimer, AND....the reason for their existence in the first place. Why would an axle manufacturer even offer a completely separate line of product if their existing line of product fit the bill? It's simple economics. There's a demand for a product that doesn't need to meet the same duty specification as the rest of the product line does. How to meet the demand? Cut some costs via cheaper materials and manufacturing methods.

What part(s) of this are difficult to understand? I find it strange that MH axle fans go to the lengths they go to to defend them. You'd think the MH axle proponents would want as many of them discarded and/or not considered worth anything as possible. There would be less demand for them and an even more plentiful supply as a result....

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #36  
To each their own. Anyone who thinks that a company like Dexter is going to say anything other than "don't use them" is foolish. For Dexter each MH axle used is a potential loss of a sale of a new axle. Plus by saying don't use them they are not going to be held liable for someone's homemade disaster. As for them being weak, I doubt it since they are loaded to their max limit when connected to a MH. They must be able to be transported from the MFG to the dealer and then from the dealer to the home site.
Which is generally 50-200 miles max, during which time the dealer plans to replace 2 wheels and 1 bearing.
I don't doubt that Dexter wants to sell more expensive axles, but they specifically state why they don't recommend MH axles for "normal" use:
1. The axle has steel forged spindles that are not precision ground - ie: The wheel may not track overly true and the bearings might not fit too well
2. The brake assembly is welded onto the beam and not intended to be field replaced - ie: Once the breaks wear out, you need a new axle or to weld on your own boltable backing plate
3. Additionally, the bearing package is smaller than the more expensive service type axle - ie: It will hold a load at low speeds for short runs, but long highway runs will be hard on it
4. Most MH axles are also equipped with a single leaf spring suspension for very heavy loads - ie: Light loads will bounce hard

Aaron Z

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #37  
I agree about highway re-use of MH axles, but I don't understand the backing plate issue.

I've never had to replace a backing plate on a car, truck, or trailer when doing a brake replacement, and I don't know anyone who has. Every other part, but not the backing plate.

Sometimes I see a case of a drive axle shaft or trailer hub/spindle breaking, falling off, and dragging the axle a couple hundred yards down the road on the drum and backing plate before stopping, but that isn't a maintenance item.

Is it really that common to be a concern?

Bruce

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #38  
I don't see the backing plate issue as something the manufacturer is concerned about wearing out itself and not being replaceable, I see it done more as an "in-your-face", really obvious visual indicator of how limited-use the intent of the product is. If they make and sell an entire replaceable brake assembly for the rest of the line, and they don't with these....they want folks asking themselves why that is.

Not only does the welding-on of the "backing plate" drive the limited-use, non field-serviceable point home, but look at an example of a MH axle "backing plate" itself. Wide-open, exposing the components to more debris, contamination, and corrosion. I'd say an assembly like this is built to a price point first and foremost, and intended to look like it was built to a price point as well.

MH brake.JPG

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #39  
I've never done the brakes on a newer trailer without buying a loaded backing plate and bolting it on. Yes I know I can buy pads and magnet and spring kit for more but why?

My "good" proper Dayton axles have multi-leaf springs, bolted backing plates and the large bearings. I've looked at the neighbours trailer with MH axles and the spindles are poor and the outer bearing is tiny, like one from a 3500 lb axle. The axle tubes are thin too.

I think the key thing is to be careful if buying any trailer with Dayton axles.

I agree about highway re-use of MH axles, but I don't understand the backing plate issue.

I've never had to replace a backing plate on a car, truck, or trailer when doing a brake replacement, and I don't know anyone who has. Every other part, but not the backing plate.

Bruce

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #40  
Sometimes the liability isn't worth the money saved. I see more double wides with axle trouble than any other trailer.