Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #11  
I like the jack set back. Many times if being towed by a pickup you can not let down the tail gate if the jack is forward by the ball coupler. Same thing can happen with a SUV but you can not open the hatch. I see damaged hatches and tailgates all the time from hitting the jack.

I personally like the pipe top rail around my trailer. That is really a matter of opinion.

Chris

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #12  
Go with #1 but makes sure you get the rub rail the full length. It just makes chaining down so much eaiser.

I agree a full length rub rail is the way to go (I love mine)!

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #13  
A vote for trailer #1. On the sides you need to install heavy stake pockets. These can be used for sideboards as well as attachment points for straps and chains. Four 5,000 lb. "D" rings would also be nice to have. Trailer jack back. The pipe rail makes it impossible to side load anything on a pallet. You or a friend will have more use for this trailer then you think. Be aware the trailer often has to be chased down when loaned out.

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top
About to order - any last minute suggestions? They said they'll add anything within reason... I assume they'll charge for it...
7' x 20+2' Flat Bed Equipment Trailer
20' flat deck with 2' dovetail
Tandem 7,000 Wilbury e-z lube axles
Leaf springs
All wheel electric brakes
16" 10ply E rated (3,520lbs ea) radial tires 235/80/R16
8" channel mainframe with 3" channel crossmembers on 18" centers
14ga heavy treadplate fenders
2 5/16" adjustable bulldog coupler
12k leg jack (gonna have it back near deck)
10 stake pockets ea side and rub rail (in front and behind the fenders)
Front head ache rack
5' channel adjustable ramps (slide in or stand up - we're going stand up)
All required DOT lighting
Safety chains, reflective tape
Break-a-way switch
Rear lights encased in steel for protection
Mounted spare tire

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #15  
I would add LED lighting and a 2" receiver tube in the rear, and additional bracing in the center of the fenders.

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #16  
I would add LED lighting and a 2" receiver tube in the rear, and additional bracing in the center of the fenders.

I would also add a 2" receiver tube to the front center for future winch mount.

Chris

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #17  

i would second the LEDs; they are the only way to go now-a-days.

how do you know the fenders need to be braced additionally? my trailer came with a brace in the center of the fenders, and you can drive anything you want on them, and they dont give a bit

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #18  
how do you know the fenders need to be braced additionally? my trailer came with a brace in the center of the fenders, and you can drive anything you want on them, and they dont give a bit
Maybe I should have said it this way.... "If the fenders are not already braced, you might request additional bracing to be installed..." Better????:D

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top
The fender brace is standard equipment. I like the other ideas too. The LED lights are a $75 upgrade. Not sure if a receiver will fit on the dove tail - might be too low to the ground. I'll ask them about the winch mount.

I intend to order the trailer this morning - so PLEASE help - work is piling up on my desk :) - It will have a spare tire mounted - one photo they sent had it mounted between the coupler and the jack stand - if we do that on mine - won't be able to install a tool box later down the road. So the final quetions are: Is there a pro vs con as to having the spare mounted along the side of the trailer? If I don't intend to use the trailer more than once or twice a month (maximum) - will I really need a tool box mounted to the trailer?

Again, Thank you to everyone for sharing their experience and knowledge!! :thumbsup:

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #20  
Not sure if a receiver will fit on the dove tail - might be too low to the ground.

The receiver should not affect ground clearance. They just cut a square hole in the channel, weld in the tube, and brace it. Like the picture below.

IMAG0073.jpg

Sounds like you are going to have a pretty nice trailer when it's all said and done.