Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top
Thank you! Not sure - but that makes sense. I'll see what they say when I speak to them later this morning.

Any idea or opinion or experience with a mounted spare and or a tool box?

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #22  
Here is how we mounted a spare on a trailer I had built for a friend a couple years ago.

DSC00209.jpg

It looks good - but still doesn't accommodate a tool box at the location I was wondering about... that diagonal bar is in the way.

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #24  
I like the spare mounted on the side. Just make sure to tell them to put it in a place where it will not affect tie downs or side loading the trailer too much. I have mine mounted on the right side just 2" or so infront of the right fender.

Chris

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #25  
t looks good - but still doesn't accommodate a tool box at the location I was wondering about... that diagonal bar is in the way.

The photo I posted was to illustrate the spare tire mount. Nothing to do with a tool box. There are numerous after market options for tool boxes if you want one. I don't use a tool box on any of my bumper pull trailers, so I don't have any pics to show.

If you are going to have a rear set, drop leg jack, you probably won't want a tongue mounted tool box. The tool box will be in the way when you need to drop the leg.

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #26  
My tool box is located between the tongue jack and the front of the trailer in the area where the blue trailer pictured above has a angle brace.

Chris

Quick question - Please help.

Please go to the two photos earlier on the thread - each trailer has a different type of handle crank - can anyone/someone confirm the two types of handle cranks are the same difference... I am being told they are both 12k leg jacks... I just want to make sure the handle crank works just as easily on both setups...

I'm going with the non pipe top trailer - it comes with the front mounted leg jack (forward of the tongue) BUT I am doing the other leg jack that comes on the pipe top... I'd hate to add something... and lose functionality in the meantime...

Does the handle that operates the leg jack work equally as well on both setups?

Thank you VERY much!

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #28  
Quick question - Please help.

Please go to the two photos earlier on the thread - each trailer has a different type of handle crank - can anyone/someone confirm the two types of handle cranks are the same difference... I am being told they are both 12k leg jacks... I just want to make sure the handle crank works just as easily on both setups...

I'm going with the non pipe top trailer - it comes with the front mounted leg jack (forward of the tongue) BUT I am doing the other leg jack that comes on the pipe top... I'd hate to add something... and lose functionality in the meantime...

Does the handle that operates the leg jack work equally as well on both setups?

Thank you VERY much!

This is very hard to understand??? How can the jack be forward of the tongue? As for crank type some are side some are top crank. No real difference but some times one type can get in the way depending on the trailer. I have 2 top crank and 1 side crank on my 3 trailers.

I would just spec that you want a tool box between the jack and the trailer. Make sure the jack is set back or you will eventually damage a tailgate or hatch on a SUV. Trust me it happens. My neighbors is that way and he was careful for 20 years with it. Got a new truck and 3 months later he was not thinking and dropped his tailgate quick and $1400 damage occurred.

Chris

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #30  
Forward "inside" the tongue... up towards the coupler...
Yea, do not put it there. No trailer should be built that way. Get it set back mid way between the coupler and the trailer deck. You need that room to lower a tailgate.

Chris