Trailer question - skid steer

/ Trailer question - skid steer
My 2020 Ram 2500 CC CB with the gas 6.4 engine tips the scale empty at 7420 pounds, but I can gross 10K on the truck, so a 16K trailer puts me near or over the 26K limit.

Your 3500HD has a much higher payload, so you are going to be over the 26K limit.

Upon looking at this closer, I think you are right. The GVWR of my 3500HD is 11,600... so even a 15k trailer is going to put me over. Back to the drawing board, suppose I'll be looking for a 14k. Thanks for the info

/ Trailer question - skid steer #72  
Upon looking at this closer, I think you are right. The GVWR of my 3500HD is 11,600... so even a 15k trailer is going to put me over. Back to the drawing board, suppose I'll be looking for a 14k. Thanks for the info
If you are buying the trailer new, you should be able to get it derated. Factory should happily put a smaller number on the tag to keep you legal. May be free or a cheap option.

If you are buying the trailer new, you should be able to get it derated. Factory should happily put a smaller number on the tag to keep you legal. May be free or a cheap option.

Didn't realize this may be an option. I wonder how difficult it would be to "re-rate" it if I go to sell the trailer

/ Trailer question - skid steer #74  
Depending on where you live and how the trailer is tagged makes a difference. Some allow for non-commercial drivers licenses up to and including class A (with/without endorsements). Depending on the state, a truck or trailer (or combo) is not auto magically commercial. What you are using it for determines that.

How many that claim it automagically is are paying for commercial insurance on their p/u and trailer?

/ Trailer question - skid steer #75  
Depending on where you live and how the trailer is tagged makes a difference. Some allow for non-commercial drivers licenses up to and including class A (with/without endorsements). Depending on the state, a truck or trailer (or combo) is not auto magically commercial. What you are using it for determines that.

How many that claim it automagically is are paying for commercial insurance on their p/u and trailer?

My trucks are on commercial. With the stipulation that I only haul cargo that I own it’s cheap. I pay more for my raggedy personal vehicle that’s worth $3500 than I do the commercial trucks.

I ended up getting a bigtex 14TL-22 (14k 22ft tilt trailer, 16+6)

First trailer outside of RV's

First thing I am going to use it for is renting some skidsteer attachments. Can anyone give me a quick primer on securing these things? Recommendations on tie downs? Use fabric tie downs for these attachments? Brush cutter, grapple, etc... around 1000 - 2000 lbs

Attachments

• 2024_Big_Tex_Trailers_14TL-22_Other_Tilt_Trailer_eVTYQavmkwu6.jpg
    2024_Big_Tex_Trailers_14TL-22_Other_Tilt_Trailer_eVTYQavmkwu6.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 34
   / Trailer question - skid steer #77  
Did you get fork pockets?

/ Trailer question - skid steer #78  
Ratchet straps will chafe or cut if they rub on stuff. I cut one half way through early on cranking it down on a bar stock grill guard. It wasn't even sharp, but did damage to the strap. I generally use chain & binders for all my machines & implements now.

I still use straps for other stuff or machines if I can guarantee they won't hit anything but a smooth surface or won't rub anything.