Trailer tie-down

/ Trailer tie-down #11  
I am taking my tractor in tomorrow to get a hydraulic top link intalled. It's the first road trip for it. I am hauling it on a tandem axle 18 ft by 8 ft car hauler with no railing except across the front. I have four 10000 lb nylon straps with rachets I was planning to use to tie it down. My plan was to pull the frontend loader up against the front rail then use two tie downs on each side of the front axle to pull out and forward then use the other two tie downs around the rear axle to pull out and back. I noticed most people in this thread were talking about chains. Are the nylon straps strong enough? Does the way I described sound like it will hold it in place? The trailer has electric brakes on 1 axle.

/ Trailer tie-down #12  
Some people said they use and prefer nylon straps. They don't bang up the tractor as much. You do have to be careful to route them so they don't get cut.

/ Trailer tie-down #13  
Guess they must be having to install the external hydraulic valves on yours. The actual installation of the hydraulic top link takes about 5 minutes providing there is something to plug the quick connect hydraulic fittings into. I don't trust nylon straps and use chains. I assume you are talking about breaking strength and not working strength for the straps. I would be sure that nylon straps are approximately 10x the weight of the tractor in strength and inspect them for any cuts prior to use.

/ Trailer tie-down #14  
I used straps at first, but found there was no place to run them where they wouldn't eventually get cut. Those scratches and gouges the chain makes on the loader subframe tube are nothing compared to the damage it would get from tumbling down the road.

A friend of mine told me of once seeing a 6-inch gap between a 15-ton crawler and the trailer it was supposed to be sitting on while following the truck down the road. I was a little sceptical until I witnessed a very similar scene myself. I saw a backhoe sitting half off a trailer on an Interstate ramp. Basically what happens is that the trailer just drops out from under the equipment when it hits a dip or hole. If it happens to be going around a curve at the same time, they're not in the same spot relative to one another when they finally get back together. I think I'll stick with my chains.

Mark

/ Trailer tie-down #15  
Russ - I saw the same load distribution problem cause a much worse result with a pickup pulling a horse trailer. I won't describe the scene, but I stopped to help and it was over 8 hours later before I could eat again. My stomach feels queasy to this day when that episode passes through my mind, and I'm not generally sqeamish, despite the fact that it was almost 10 years ago. As much driving as I've done over the years, I've watched 3 people die, been on the scene shortly after a half dozen or so, and seen many more serious injuries, but none of them come close to comparing with that. And all because the lady didn't know anything about tongue weight.

Mark

/ Trailer tie-down #16  
Yes, I chain almost everything too, but not the tractor. Due to a previous discussion here, I decided my 1/2 ton is marginal at best. So, I bought a convenient sized utility trailer and pay the trucking guy to move the tractor a few times a year. The main thing was realizing that my 2,400 lbs. or so 'factory weight' tractor probably goes over 4,000 lbs. with loader, an implement, ballast, fuel etc. If I was trailing the tractor, it would be with chain.

However, with chain, there are binders. I have old style binders, If a load shifts a bit and a chain slacks, a binder handle can fall open. I usually tie the handles to the binder body. I think there was mention of a newer style that doesn't pop open.

/ Trailer tie-down #17  
TomG - I used to use two toggle "old style" binders, but, as you said, they have a tendency to loosen too much. You do have to tie them closed just to keep them on the chain.

So, I bought one of the screw-type ratchet binders, and used it to tighten one end up against the other. That helped the other chain stay tighter, too. But it ended up that I like the screw-type so well that I bought a few more and now that's all I use. I don't even know where the toggle binders are anymore. I'd recommend the screw binders for anybody who's buying new ones. The make a toggle style that has a spring on it that helps keep it from popping open, and takes up some slack, but not enough. Now, if they had a style with the spring on the screw type, that would be impressive. But it might be too long to be useable in all applications. Details, details...

Mark

PS - One thing I forgot: If you use the screw type binders, be careful how much you tighten them. They have so much power that you can break small chains, bend tie down points, rip brackets off trailers, etc.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by MChalkley on 7/27/00 10:35 AM.</FONT></P>

/ Trailer tie-down #18  
I have just recently seen the rachet screw type binder and wondered if they were worth the money. I'm just looking for ones that did not come into port on a slow boat. I've replaced too many sandy hollow casted water valves to buy the ones I saw. Can you reccomend a strong and trustworthy screw binder in the U.S.A. or quality import?

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Trailer tie-down #19  
Hawgee - Sorry, I forgot about your question in this post. I have a set of US-made (Midland, I think) screw-type binders and 4 or 5 cheapo Chinese ones. I sit corrected on my earlier comment that I've never bought anything made in China that was worth the money. I really don't see much difference in the binders. Well, there's one big difference: price. The US-made ones were a little over $50 a piece, and I got them at cost from a guy who gets them wholesale because he owns a trucking company. The Chinese ones, from Harbor Freight, are $20. I get the larger 9600-lb ones, just to be on the safe side.

Mark

/ Trailer tie-down #20  
I know this is an old thread, but I use a number of trailering methods which I think work well. First, per DOT regs and common sense, total load ratings of tie-downs should be at least 1.5 times the weight of the equipment (cargo). I use chain since the rebound, and potential acceleration of the cargo in wierd directions, possible with nylon straps makes me nervous when talking about tens of thousands of dollars of equipment and the safety of peoples' lives, including others' lives. An out-of-control load and rig can be lethal to anyone near it particularly at highway speeds. In other words, a 6000 lb tractor (JD 4700 with loader and loaded tires) should have total tie-downs rated at least 9000 lbs. This implies transport-rated (gold colored) chain and not your basic silver colored stuff. I use my heaviest chains on the rear, since sudden braking is the most foreseeable emergency (I'm not likely to accelerate so hard as to challenge the front chain). Similarly, if I have enough, I'll use a safety chain on the rear passed through the drawbar frame, with the first chain fastened to the drawbar with a clevis. The clevis/pin/drawbar combo makes it easy to drop at least that chain while you're at the worksite without pulling everything apart. Get the tractor positioned correctly fore and aft on the trailer for tongue weight, tighten the rear chain/s by hand as snug as you can, then get on the tractor and pull forward to tighten the rear chain/s. Set the brakes and dump the loader bucket just a bit (while it's at rest on the trailer bed). The lip of the bucket will press on the trailer bed and this will take a bit of weight off the front wheels. Then hand-tighten the front chains to your chain hooks which of course have been thoughtfully welded on the top edge of the loader bucket. Then slowly rotate the bucket back to snug everything up. Shut'er down and leave with brakes set and in gear. This tightens everything with tractor power (no pesky binders to loosen up) and if the loader hydraulics tend to leak down, the effect is to tighten the load rather than loosen it. Run all chains to the attachment points on the sides of your trailer (you gotta have them - if you don't, get beefy ones welded on). If possible, fasten the chains to the side rails of your trailer so that if a weld breaks, the chain has something else to catch on before it becomes totally unhitched (i.e. front side of a stake pocket). Drop the chain hook down over the stake pocket so gravity keeps it connected, and then bring the chain up through the stake pocket. Front chains should run a couple of feet forward of their tractor attachment points, and rear chains should run a couple of feet aft. If you're hauling long distance, wooden 4x4 (6x6 is better!) blocks nailed to the trailer floor offer good peace of mind (in front of the rear tires and in back of the front tires). Don't scrimp on chains, and for goodness sake observe all the weight limitations of your trailer, towing vehicle, ball, coupler, etc. Check everything after just a few miles, since initial weight shifting will probably show up in loosened chains sooner rather than later. Make plenty of rest stops and check your tie-downs, tires (heat) and wheel bearings (heat) regularly. Keep good tires on the ground and keep the tire pressures up to the maximum rated for the tire to ensure cool running and don't overload the tires anywhere in your rig. A flat at 60 mph and 15,000 lbs GCVW is no joke. You should know your empty pickup's weight, your empty trailer's weight and the weight of your load. Then take your empty pickup to a place where they move weight around easily (feed store, ag supplies, etc.) and get someone with a forklift to put your pickup's rated payload (a complex number, and smaller than you might think) in the form of a pallet-load of fertilizer, etc.right over your hitch point, which is the rear axle if you pull gooseneck. If you use a frame hitch with ball insert, put the rated maximum trailer tongue load directly over the ball, which means somewhere on the rear bed/open tailgate. In either case, measure at the rear bumper how much squat you get in inches at the rated load, and compare it to the bumper height with no load. The difference (for example, four inches of squat for 2000 lb payload over the rear axle in an F250 diesel) shows you how much your pickup should squat at its rated load. This gives you a way to determine if you've properly loaded your trailer based on its weight, the weight of your equipment (cargo) and the towing capacity of your pickup's trailering setup. This isn't the whole story, since none of the numbers can be exceeded, but I've found it a good way to make sure I'm getting as much weight as possible onto the towing vehicle without overloading it (to prevent deadly oscillations, mentioned in other posts here). If you know all your other weights, you should be able to determine if you've got the weight you need on the hitch-point (10-15% of the total trailer load for frame/ball mount hitches and larger amounts, depending on the trailer, for the gooseneck setup). You probably shouldn't be hauling around anything bigger than a lawn tractor unless you have a trailer with brakes. Good luck, make sure all your lights work, and be careful.