Trailer tie-down

/ Trailer tie-down #21  
I use two yellow straps with ratchets to tie down my B2710. They are 27 feet long. I have to hang the FEL over the front so that the 16-foot trailer is long enough for the tractor and brush hog. I go from front corner of trailer to the floorboard and back to the other front corner. On the back it goes from the back corner to the floorboard and back to the other rear corner. Ratchet them both down and it can't move either direction. Set the brake. No rough spots, so the strap is not in danger of rubbing in two.

Alan L., TX

/ Trailer tie-down
Trailerman, thanks for the reply. I noticed you mention "gold colored" chain. I ordered 3/8 inch, grade 70 chain and it was "gold colored". I have also bought a section lately (yard sale) that is rusty on one end, but other sections are "gold colored" and also appear to have a "7" on some of the links, but could be another letter / number. Does the "gold color" indicate transport rated or grade 7? Both chains are 3/8 inch, but the new section of chain has a larger link length, does this matter? Thanks, John.

/ Trailer tie-down #23  
Gold (Zinc Chromate) tends to be the color of choice for Grade 7/70/transport chain, but the G7 or 70 is a better indication.

Pat

/ Trailer tie-down
Thanks, I think I got a good deal for only a couple bucks for 20 ft. 3/8 chain. John.

/ Trailer tie-down #25  
Sounds like you did get a good deal. The transport-rated chain makes all the difference. I have a length of 1/4" transport-rated which has a rating almost three times the rating of common 5/16". Your 3/8 should hold anything, altho I favor a safety, if only on the rear holdown, since no matter how highly rated, the best chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

/ Trailer tie-down #26  
I have to share something I witnessed yesterday. An 18 wheeler (loaded with 19K of school furniture) dropped off the edge of the road trying to rack up a lane, had the road blocked real good, along comes a 10 wheeler roll off truck. Borrowed a chain, 3/8" grade 70, farely new, had drivers hook up themselses, 10 wheeler starts backing up, hear a loud bang (like gun shot) as the chain breaks, longer ends flys back hitting the nice aluminum bumper of the 18 wheeler, left several dents the size of your fist in the bumper. Lucky everyone had the sense to stand clear. I learned to give chain more respect from this.

/ Trailer tie-down #27  
Busted chain and cables are truly scary. I've adopted the practice of draping a blanket, tarp, sleeping bag or whatever over a chain before pulling hard. This helps to damp the rebound if the chain breaks. Had it happen once, and the chain just dropped flat to the ground. Even so, it's smart to stand back. The vehicle drivers are really the ones in the most danger.