Trailer Towing Question

/ Trailer Towing Question #11  
Folks,
I don't want to start some big debate... BUT I want to share this....

I recently bought a 2010 Tacoma... it replaced a 1999 durango...
the durango had a 5.2 V-8 and a tow rating of 5000 lbs.

the tacoma has a 4.0 V-6 and a tow rating of 6500 lbs..

the durango struggled with a 3800 lb 23 ft tag along...

the tacoma pulled a 3800 lb miniex PLUS the 20 ft trailer...

If I still had the trailer, I bet the tacoma would pull that thing easily..

I have driven quite a few trucks and SUVs pulling trailers over the years...

and from the 1998 Explorer to the 2010 tacoma with the durango and an F-150 in there... I have to say the newer the better they pull.......

J

That is a lot of what I am saying. I guarantee you if you drove a new Explorer, Durango, and F-150 you would be amazed at the improvements for the ones you had 10 years ago to today's models.

Chris

/ Trailer Towing Question #12  
That is a lot of what I am saying. I guarantee you if you drove a new Explorer, Durango, and F-150 you would be amazed at the improvements for the ones you had 10 years ago to today's models.

Chris
Exactly..

while I can't compare the same models, the difference is years is what I am going for...

J

/ Trailer Towing Question #13  
Those Toyota's are tough little trucks. I had a R22 4 Cylinder with a 5 speed manual on a 4x4 pickup and that thing would out pull the 4x4 4.3L S-10 Blazer I had before it.

Chris

/ Trailer Towing Question #14  
Those Toyota's are tough little trucks. I had a R22 4 Cylinder with a 5 speed manual on a 4x4 pickup and that thing would out pull the 4x4 4.3L S-10 Blazer I had before it.

Chris

your telling me....

I pulled this minivan in the snow this past winter...
She was in PARK and it was going up maybe a 3% grade about 300 yards..

I dropped it in 4x4 low and L and just drug her up...

when I got to the top And unhooked her, I asked if she had her parking brake on or something as I saw her rear end sliding to the left as I pulled her... She said "why would I need a parking brake when I was in Park"

and yes I said rear end...

no comments please...:D :laughing:

J

/ Trailer Towing Question #15  
Going to be purchasing a truck in the near future, and after that possibly a trailer or two. Is a 1500 grade truck (V-8) adequate to pull a 20 ft camper trailer? How about 8x16 enclosed utility trailer with 2 or 3 motorcycles inside? Or do I have to get a 2500?

Thanks
One Ton S R W.

/ Trailer Towing Question #16  
My next truck will probably be a one ton. Having said that, my 04 GMC 5.3 with 3:73's tows very well, especially in the tow/haul mode. A serious improvement over my 91 and 97 Chevy 5.7's with the same gears. They do get better every year.

My next one will be a DMAX....At least That's the goal.

/ Trailer Towing Question #17  
That's what DP is saying.. older trucks in certain categories are much less equipped than newer trucks in the same weight range.

I pulled since 98 with a 98 4x4 dodge 1500 w/ 5.9l gasser. was perfect on a 16' tandem trailer up to about 5000#.. hit 6000# and it was adequate on short trips.. and miserable on longer trips.

I have an 04 f250 4x4 with 6.0 psd.. much more truck than the dodge by a mile.. both in low end torque and road stability. still on long hard pulls, road conditions and poor load placement on a trailer and you could feel it.

I finally looke daround and with lots of input from people here, especially DP, I found a nice 1ton and gooseneck. can't believe I ever pulled with anything else...

good luck

soundguy

Folks,
I don't want to start some big debate... BUT I want to share this....

I recently bought a 2010 Tacoma... it replaced a 1999 durango...
the durango had a 5.2 V-8 and a tow rating of 5000 lbs.

the tacoma has a 4.0 V-6 and a tow rating of 6500 lbs..

the durango struggled with a 3800 lb 23 ft tag along...

the tacoma pulled a 3800 lb miniex PLUS the 20 ft trailer...

If I still had the trailer, I bet the tacoma would pull that thing easily..

I have driven quite a few trucks and SUVs pulling trailers over the years...

and from the 1998 Explorer to the 2010 tacoma with the durango and an F-150 in there... I have to say the newer the better they pull.......

J

/ Trailer Towing Question #18  
Going to be purchasing a truck in the near future, and after that possibly a trailer or two. Is a 1500 grade truck (V-8) adequate to pull a 20 ft camper trailer? How about 8x16 enclosed utility trailer with 2 or 3 motorcycles inside? Or do I have to get a 2500?

I am not going to bother reading all the post because I am sure the majority of them are saying that you need a 3/4 ton diesel to tow that 5,000lb camper and that you should just get a 1-ton because it's only a little more and while your at it you might as well get a diesel. I swear it's an automatic response whenever these guys see the word TOW they think you need a 1-ton diesel, they are obviously driving the wrong trucks... :rolleyes:
Click any thumbnails below for larger images.
You want to tow a 20 ft camper? NO PROBLEM with a good V8 1/2-ton truck.
Here's a 27ft 7,700lb travel trailer I pull all over every other weekend with mine.

You want to tow an enclosed trailer? NO PROBLEM!
Here's my truck with the 8x16 v-nose snowmobile trailer that I use to haul our 3 Harley's to Daytona, Sturgis, Virginia, etc... I also put 3 snowmobiles in it and haul them to northern NH all winter long.

You want to tow a tractor or mini-excavator? NO PROBLEM!
One last picture, I haul my tractor to different sites all over for side jobs (3-5 times a month) and rent a mini-excavator when I need more digging power.

BTW, when I say a "good 1/2-ton truck" I mean any well equipped truck with the available towing package and largest V8 engine available. Watch the GVWR/GCWR, axle ratio and rated tow capacity of any truck you get.

/ Trailer Towing Question #19  
20 ft camper or 8 x 16 enclosed should be fine. My Dodge Ram 1500 with Hemi pulls my 8500lb toyhauler with no issue other than 140 mile gas station stops.

The issue I have with 1/2 tons is the rear axle is the lighter duty semi-floating axle and the tire ratings are pretty low from the factory. Rear Airbags can take care of the weaker springs and the frame is far stonger than they were years ago.

Basically watch rear weight and use a weight dist hitch if necessary. The 1/2 tons ride better and are better daily drivers. I drive my truck 20,000 miles a year and only tow 3,000 miles a year. For me a 1/2 ton was the way to go...

As for the Hemi being a pig. I agree if a pig is strong and eats alot. My Hemi pulls 10,000 lbs up Fancy Gap in Va at 70mph with no issue. Doing that it drinks fuel like crazy -- 6 to 7 mpg... When towing my Toyhauler I definitely would prefer the diesel mpg.

/ Trailer Towing Question
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I think dmace and roamerr nailed it for my particular situation. Not planning to tow more than a small-medium travel trailer or utility trailer, and only occassionally. I was hoping to find a low mileage used truck 2008 or newer rather than purchasing new.