Trailer Towing Question

/ Trailer Towing Question #21  
just make sure what ever you purchase is either setup as you need it, or canbe setup tat way.. pay attention to rear end gearing, engine, and the gcwr etc..

soundguy

/ Trailer Towing Question #22  
First thing I tell everyone to do is skip the 3/4 ton. They are a joke to me. You can get a 1 ton SRW for about $600 more than a evenly equipped 3/4 ton. Trust me, I made that mistake and bought a 3/4 ton and 1 year later upgraded to a 1 ton SRW. Also make sure you do your homework. Just because it has a V8 or diesel engine that does not mean squat. It all comes down to GVWR, GCWR, and axle ratio.

Chris

There is a caveat to this advice, IMHO. Some states get real picky about trucks with GVWRs over 10k lbs. You start to get to be considered commercial by the local constabulary....and if you don't have DOT safety kits, log book, etc, and don't go through scales they can get testy. I know the F350 1-tons are 10k lbs, for the most part, but the F250 3/4 tons are slightly under (usually). Mine is 9200lbs GVRW. That prevents a lot of potential issues here as I go past weigh stations constantly. I know a guy here who has been hassled by the cops with his F350 towing a tractor by these weigh stations.

This has been a big topic in the Ford Trucks forums, especially for people in the NE states.

Chris, I agree with your point in general, but sometimes there will be other issues that come into play.

I'd love to have the V10, too, but given how I use it, I get by just fine with the V8. I just have some patience on big hills, and get my foot deep into the loud pedal. I bought it used, and used V10s are very rare.

-Dave

/ Trailer Towing Question #23  
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I think dmace and roamerr nailed it for my particular situation.
Notice the two that you agree with have Dodge trucks and don't think they need bigger trucks for towing loads upwards of 7k plus whereas the other guys always wish they had a larger truck. Like I said, maybe their just driving the wrong truck. :laughing:
Don't take it hard DP, I'm just stirring the pot for fun. :D

If your looking for a truck that new (2008+) then you have little to worry about, just watch the tow rating, GVWR/GCWR, and rear axle ratio like I said before.

/ Trailer Towing Question #24  
There is a caveat to this advice, IMHO. Some states get real picky about trucks with GVWRs over 10k lbs. You start to get to be considered commercial by the local constabulary....and if you don't have DOT safety kits, log book, etc, and don't go through scales they can get testy. I know the F350 1-tons are 10k lbs, for the most part, but the F250 3/4 tons are slightly under (usually). Mine is 9200lbs GVRW. That prevents a lot of potential issues here as I go past weigh stations constantly. I know a guy here who has been hassled by the cops with his F350 towing a tractor by these weigh stations.
-Dave

Hook a trailer on that F250 and you have the same issues since it goes by GCWR(CGVWR) over 10k also.

/ Trailer Towing Question #25  
I've yet to have a dot chase me down as I passed by scales with my dually and gooseneck, loaded or unloaded..

soundguy

/ Trailer Towing Question #26  
I've yet to have a dot chase me down as I passed by scales with my dually and gooseneck, loaded or unloaded..

soundguy

I don't doubt you - most won't - but I have read the experiences of others who have. They were not pleased. Seems to be people in the NE have the most trouble, from what I see.

/ Trailer Towing Question #27  
could be. lots of other problems up there too.. :)

soundguy

/ Trailer Towing Question #28  

This has been a big topic in the Ford Trucks forums, especially for people in the NE states.

Chris, I agree with your point in general, but sometimes there will be other issues that come into play.

I'd love to have the V10, too, but given how I use it, I get by just fine with the V8. I just have some patience on big hills, and get my foot deep into the loud pedal. I bought it used, and used V10s are very rare.

-Dave

Yes, I forget about that. Where I live there is no rules and we all carry guns. My 04 F-250 diesel has a 10,000# GVWR and my 06 F-350 diesel SRW has a 11,500# GVWR. My uncle has a 05 F-350 with the V-10 and his GVWR is 11,400# Just 100# less than my diesel.

Chris

/ Trailer Towing Question #29  
Notice the two that you agree with have Dodge trucks and don't think they need bigger trucks for towing loads upwards of 7k plus whereas the other guys always wish they had a larger truck. Like I said, maybe their just driving the wrong truck. :laughing:
Don't take it hard DP, I'm just stirring the pot for fun. :D

If your looking for a truck that new (2008+) then you have little to worry about, just watch the tow rating, GVWR/GCWR, and rear axle ratio like I said before.

You got me. I agree with you though. I have been towing my 7,100# boat, had it weighed in May, and have done over 3,000 miles this year already. I have averaged 12.19 mpg hand calculated in my Titan. Its been plenty of truck for this load and would not be afraid to go all the way up to its 9,500# tow limit. I have found at 59mph it does the best with the tow haul mode on and turns 1,600 rpm. This is confirmed by the indash mpg calculator showing 12.2 mpg.

Each truck has a job. I only use my diesels for the heavy stuff, 8,000# and up. They cost more to operate.

Chris

/ Trailer Towing Question #30  
Yes, I forget about that. Where I live there is no rules and we all carry guns. My 04 F-250 diesel has a 10,000# GVWR and my 06 F-350 diesel SRW has a 11,500# GVWR. My uncle has a 05 F-350 with the V-10 and his GVWR is 11,400# Just 100# less than my diesel.

Chris

The same rules apply if you travel interstate.