Trailering a Ck30

/ Trailering a Ck30 #11  
That link is for UK DOT, Last time I checked I live in America, I'm an american Truck Driver and only care what US DOT says.

/ Trailering a Ck30 #12  
Sorry, but I have to point out that at positively no time is it recommended, or safe, to use ratcheting nylon tie down straps to secure a tractor to a trailer. I'll let you look it up on your own, but as most every person here will tell you, even a tractor the size of a ck30 most definitely can break two perfect condition straps like you suggested, and drop the tractor off the back as you drive down the highway.

Please don't take it as rude, but I felt obligated to point out that the tie down advice you gave is wrong and dangerous. Again, do some searching here and you will see exactly why. The DOT officer in my state specified 4 (one on each corner) grade 70 chains for a rolling load. Ratcheting nylon straps are for securing non-rolling loads only. Just so you know, two straps that were less than a month old, identical to what you suggested, broke on the front of my tractor while driving down the highway after going over a dip in the road. I thought I was safe with two on the front and two on the rear. I was wrong, and dangerous. No, no sharp edges, no fraying, no issues. Plain and simple, they will not properly secure a tractor.

/ Trailering a Ck30 #13  
Amen, Dargo. And for the record grade 70 hardened binder chain is the only legal chain on US highways for rolling loads. (all states, I'm in the business)

The WLL of your 2" straps was about 3300#, your 2500# tractor moving a couple of inches can generate 10,000# of force in shock load, easily breaking 2 of them, maybe even 3. Use chain or don't even bother.

/ Trailering a Ck30 #14  
Sodamo, did you have a particular trailering question? People, even those who seem to claim to know the answer, do not know the answer and assume too much about laws, rules, chains, straps, and bungee cords for tie downs. We have been round and round on the actual material used to tie your tractor down and there is no final answer. I have some opinions too and they are pretty dang close to those above but unless you specifically need to know, then this aspect will only pollute the thread.

Unless Sodamo gets more specific, how about lets limit the discussion to what we actually use and not get into critiquing others' setups? Deal?

/ Trailering a Ck30 #15  
Thanks Highbeam - your answer was more than I expected and very informative. I no specific question.

David

/ Trailering a Ck30 #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Unless Sodamo gets more specific, how about lets limit the discussion to what we actually use and not get into critiquing others' setups? Deal? )</font>

Only question; why would you not want someone to point out that it is wrong and dangerous to use what is thought to be strong nylon straps when there is undisputable proof that a tractor weighing what a ck30 does will easily break two of those straps? I think you know I have proof that a 4000 pound tractor will break 2 of those straps on the highway. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Trailering a Ck30 #17  
I know Dargo, totally agree with you but that question is not being asked and the answers and predictable argument will lead us farther and farther from the question. It's like when someone wants to know how to drain a wetland and all they get is harped on about the ducks not having a place to swim. Plus in a small subforum, you won't get a well rounded argument. We all like good arguments, right?

It is sufficient to say that research of the proper binding material is required, extensive discussion has been made on TBN, and here's what I use....

/ Trailering a Ck30 #18  
Check out the US-DOT page. They indicate four tie downs, independant of each other, one on each corner. Additional ties are needed over the loader, and over a backhoe.

Straps or chains? Calif DOT says either are ok, but after Dargo's expierience, and my observations, chain is the way to go on a tractor. I used straps originally, but found too many nicks in them after just s couple times towing; there are too many sharp things on tractors.

I do like straps for my old Farmall; it is painted up and we take it in parades. I still use my chains though, because the straps got nicked up on the Kubota.

/ Trailering a Ck30 #19  
   / Trailering a Ck30 #20  
Interesting. In that link all grades of chain, including 43, are allowable. It is the WLL that dictates the chain's strength.