Tree cutting accident

/ Tree cutting accident #361  
and as far as chaps I have never used them while running a saw and have never had a problem, but I think I will get me a set because I know complacency can cause an accident and I'm not as young and agile as I once was, also I am by myself 90% of the time and eventually your good luck can run out.
I have made my mind up to start wearing the ones I already have. Also the Stihl helmet with hearing protection and mesh face guard.

/ Tree cutting accident #362  
Yes, all of the chaps I've owned have been for over pants, and the wrap style you're considering for summer use have adjustable straps that go around the legs to hold them on, open in the back.

View attachment 832932

Those straps around the backs of the legs look incredibly uncomfortable. Never liked the feel of straps cutting into my skin all the way back to playing football with shoulder pad straps.

I usually wear skidder's chaps, which are full pants with a bib, that zip up the back with built-in belt and crossing shoulder suspenders. They are without a doubt the most comfortable and best protection, but they are hot. Great winter pants, except when you need to piss in the woods (gotta drop bib front and try not to dribble on it), but not a great pair for hot weather.

View attachment 832931

Those look like what I would wear in winter to replace my coveralls, but I bet they ain’t cheap.

I should do something though. Maybe the lighter style with the straps over my coveralls. Sounds like a hot, sweaty confined feeling.

/ Tree cutting accident #363  
The chaps I’ve worn for years have the straps on back. They have never bothered me. They are hot in the summer though and I only use a chainsaw in the summer if I have to.

/ Tree cutting accident #364  
Those straps around the backs of the legs look incredibly uncomfortable. Never liked the feel of straps cutting into my skin all the way back to playing football with shoulder pad straps.
Same here. You had mentioned wearing them over heavy weather pants, and I was picturing some insulated snow pants style get-up. Over something like that, I'd bet the straps wouldn't bother anyone, which is the only reason I showed them. But these are actually what most wear, even with shorts in summer, and most seem to prefer them.

Those look like what I would wear in winter to replace my coveralls, but I bet they ain’t cheap.
I think I paid $115 or $125 full-retail pricing for mine, 10-12 years ago. I suppose these could work as regular daily coveralls, but I usually prefer un-insulated denim coveralls for playing mechanic, I get too hot in anything else. Only time I don anything insulated for regular daily work is when I put on my Carhartt bunny suit for snow blowing. :)

There's a lot of good info in the link below. I know a lot of guys prefer the Husqvarna full-wrap chaps, so definitely check them out, too.

/ Tree cutting accident #365  
Have few stitches on left leg from chainsaw. Like 15 years ago

Now I put on safety gear and only then start to think where my saw is

So my gear
1. Boots. Husqvarna rubber boots. Steel toes, extra layer in front
Protective boots F24

2. trousers. Yeah, not chaps, but trousers. Got them in Germany, at Ligna fair. Like 15 years ago. Read again first line :)
Cat2 protection on front, mesh on back. Nice pockets for tools, D ring for tape measure on belt
Haven't seen such trousers in shops. At Ligna fair which is biggest fair for industrial woodworking they are running like market for forestry enthusiasts too

Yeah, warm. but I am just a weekend warrior, I work in forest only when T is below +5C

Nothing fancy on top. Just take care of temperature

3. Hard hat
Still like that classic
Helmet Classic

new, fancy models looks cool like Delta force, but doesnt have cap for neck and that is a deal breaker for me
Hard hat will not help in case of something really heavy is falling, but that helmet have nice ear protectors and visor.

4. Gloves
With protection

Gloves, Functional, Chainsaw Protection, Class 0

That's about it

/ Tree cutting accident #366  
I understand good chaps and boots, and do the same when working in the woods. In my own wood lot, bucking logs on the ground, I skip the chaps in warm weather. Bucking clean logs on clean ground is a more controlled environment than de-branching trees laying on the ground in the woods.

But I never understand the desire to wear a helmet when bucking logs on the ground. It's cumbersome, impairs visibility, etc. I don the helmet when I'm dropping a tree, and go back to my baseball cap as soon as the tree is on the ground. Sunglasses or safety glasses are always in place, helmet's face shield or not.

/ Tree cutting accident #367  
I mostly buck in open areas in the woods, branches fall, wood chips fly.
Just safety glasses are not enough for that situation, so the full helmet goes on.

For delimbing on the ground, out in the open, with a pole saw. the safety glasses are fine by themselves.

Situation changes needs.

/ Tree cutting accident #368  
I understand good chaps and boots, and do the same when working in the woods. In my own wood lot, bucking logs on the ground, I skip the chaps in warm weather. Bucking clean logs on clean ground is a more controlled environment than de-branching trees laying on the ground in the woods.

But I never understand the desire to wear a helmet when bucking logs on the ground. It's cumbersome, impairs visibility, etc. I don the helmet when I'm dropping a tree, and go back to my baseball cap as soon as the tree is on the ground. Sunglasses or safety glasses are always in place, helmet's face shield or not.
Well that's easy question to answer
To do this, first I have to explain, why I wear helmet

So:
70 % hearing protection. I just cant do anything with 115 db in my hands. Just no
25 % face and glasses protection. Not specially eyes as I wear glasses 100 % of time and I hate when they become dirty, dusty. Actually much more often than should I am working with vizier up. Sometimes have to swallow some chip 😬
4,5 % for any form of water, falling from sky. So low, because normally when it's raining / snowing I stay indoors. I am just a weekend warrior, I can afford
0.5 % for falling limbs, branches etc. Helmet is no help for anything bigger

So when I am playing in the landing still have to protect hearing. I like helmet's solution, where I just can pull apart that cup thing (don't know that name in English).

Hearing protectors for helmet

Regular headphones, when not needed I don't know where to put. I don't like to put them on the ground or on logs. Some kind of autism I guess 😁
By "regular" I mean those:
Gardener hearing protectors

Actually I had them combined with vizier. Liked that solution, but kids broke vizier :mad:

Those are my personal feelings, preferences.

/ Tree cutting accident #369  
The word you're looking for is "ear muffs", @Helogabals, and that's a good argument for wearing those felling helmets. However I prefer inner-ear monitors (IEM's), which block noise better than ear muffs, are more comfortable (esp. when combined with glasses), and allow me to listen to my favorite audiobook, podcast, or music, while cutting.

Check out Shure SE215's for a nice entry-level IEM, which is available in traditional wired or with a bluetooth transmitter you clip to your shirt collar, which has the added advantage of keeping the IEM's dangling right where you want them when you pop one out of the ear.

/ Tree cutting accident #370  
I've had tree cutters here who cut every day, year after year wearing flip flops, shorts & t shirt!